How does sync resolve conflicts and deletions?

Options
wfseube
wfseube
Community Member

I sync'd my 1PW repository from my Mac to my iOS device, and I then deleted several entries off of my iOS device's repository. What happens when I sync it? Will those deletions be replicated back up to the Mac?

Also - what if the same entry is changed on both platforms? Who wins?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wfseube‌

Will those deletions be replicated back up to the Mac?

Yes they will.

Also - what if the same entry is changed on both platforms? Who wins?

Generally we don't advise editing the same entry on multiple devices at a time. However, when this does happen, 1Password will do its best to determine which edit is the newer and ensure that that edit gets priority. In cases where 1Password cannot determine which edit is newer, all data will be saved, and the conflicting data will be stored in a 'Conflict' section. You can then view the entry and determine if the correct data is in the correct fields. If you need to update the entry, simply copy and paste the data from the conflict section into the appropriate fields.

I hope this answers your questions, but we're here if you need anything further! :)

• wfseube
    wfseube
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. My suggestion would be to provide a bypass for replicating deletions - perhaps a properties/preferences option. Selecting the most recent change as the "winner" in replication is logical.

Thank you for your quick response!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wfseube,

My suggestion would be to provide a bypass for replicating deletions - perhaps a properties/preferences option

Can you explain why you'd like to have this? By doing this, it'd complicate the entire syncing process for us, which is already as complex as it can be.

I haven't seen this option in other apps either. If you have an app that does this, can you let us know the app's name as we can learn how it works in real life.

By the way, on the computers, 1Password automatically backs up your data when data changes occurs every day. Which mean if you delete something by accident, you can restore it from the backup.

This discussion has been closed.