1Password and federated identities (shibboleth, for example)

Options
jonathanmorgan
jonathanmorgan
Community Member

So, I am a PhD student involved with multiple universities. At each, there is a rich set of sites and resources accessed using my unique university identifier that all share a single-sign-on password. Many sites send one to a single domain for login, for which a single login item works well. Some go to a different login page. I could add multiple URLs to the identity login item, except that for some of these systems, I have complicated notes that I want associated with the system that I don't want to add to the identity login item. Is there a way to link login items such that a given item refers to its parent for username and password, but has its own copy of all the rest of the fields? If not, I understand, but just want to understand the capabilities as they stand now. In other password managers, I've added multiple items for each system, included the username, then a note in the password field that says to just refer to the main identity entry for the password, so I only have to update one record when I update the password. I'm doing that in 1Password, as well, but am wondering if there is a more elegant way to handle this.

Thanks,

Jon

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi Jon ( @jonathanmorgan‌ )

Thanks for writing such a detailed description of your situation! Unfortunately, there is no way to link objects in 1Password at this time. There are two ways that you could choose to organize your information:

• As you mentioned, you can add multiple URLs to a single Login so that the username and password combination will be available for each of the sites that you visit. Depending on how long these 'notes' are, you could use 1Password's custom sections and create a separate section for each URL so that you can store the notes within the entry, but organized.
    • Option 2 is to create a new Login for each URL. I would include both the username and password in each entry, just to make 1Password's automatic filling feature a lot more efficient for you. You could then create a tag for all these entries so that you know which ones need to be updated when you do change a password. Keep in mind if you use 1Password's Security Audit (available in the sidebar), these entries will show up as having a duplicate password. If you choose to go this route, you can use the 'Duplicate' option in the context menu so that you don't have to re-create the Login multiple times and can simply paste the URL and your notes in as needed.

I'm sorry I don't have a perfect answer for you, but I do hope this helps! :)

ref: OPM-2176

This discussion has been closed.