Native DropBox Support

Options
mikefitz
mikefitz
Community Member

The only reason I run the DropBox client on my Mac is for 1Password. Why can't you support DropBox via its API like you do for iOS?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mikefitz,

I'll do my best to explain how 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 4 for iOS make use of Dropbox here.

1Password 4 for iOS uses the Dropbox API directly. This is necessary because there is no exposed folder system on iOS that we can access. It certainly is handy to not require the Dropbox app on your device in order to sync, but it means that we are reliant on the API provided by Dropbox. If Dropbox were to change their mobile API (as they have done in the past), 1Password 4 for iOS would need to be updated in order to keep Dropbox sync functioning. This is not necessarily a problem, but it is something that we need to be aware of.

On Mac, 1Password is simply referencing the 1Password.agilekeychain file in the local Dropbox folder. The Dropbox service is then responsible for monitoring that folder and syncing any changes to the cloud and your other devices. Here we are less concerned about any API changes to Dropbox, because it is entirely separate from 1Password. Dropbox can update itself and make necessary changes and 1Password will still just monitor the local folder for your keychain. We think it's a great solution: 1Password gets to do what it does best (keeping your data secure and organized) and Dropbox gets to do what it does best (keeping everything synced up.)

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

This discussion has been closed.