iOS app v. 4.5.3 not abiding by timeout/PIN settings

Options
Eitan Freedenberg
Eitan Freedenberg
Community Member

Hi!

I have 1Password for iOS, version 4.5.3, running iOS 7.1.2. My security settings are as follows (I've attached a screenshot for verification):

Master Password

Request After: Never

PIN Code ON

Request Code After: Never

Lock on Exit OFF

Even though I have it set to never request either the PIN or the master password, and never to lock on exit, the app ignores those settings on a regular basis. It stays active for a few minutes, even as I switch between apps, but then an undisclosed timeout kicks in and I have to enter a code again. Sometimes it asks for the master password, sometimes for the PIN. There's no rhyme or reason for which one it'll ask for.

I have a PIN lock on my phone, and I'm personally unconcerned with anyone manually accessing my 1P vault on it. Why can't I seem to set it up so it never locks and never asks for a password of any kind... ever?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Eitan

Comments

• Hi Eitan,

Unfortunately, there is a known issue with auto-lock that is affecting a few of our users, and our developers are currently working to solve it.

However, could you please let me know if you have Use iOS keychain enabled under Settings > Advanced?

• Eitan Freedenberg
    Eitan Freedenberg
    Community Member
    Options

I do indeed have Use iOS keychain enabled. Should I? Should I not?

Thanks!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is a comprehensive knowledge base article here about iOS PIN code design and the iOS keychain, the summary of which reads:

In summary, storing your Master Password into the iOS Keychain provides a great convenience and allows you to use a stronger Master Password as you won’t need to type it as often. The flip side is your most valuable secret needs to be stored in the iOS Keychain, and while every possible mechanism has been used to keep this safe, it still needs to be written to storage.

It’s important to note that the iOS Keychain is protected by your Device Autolock passcode or passphrase. Because of this we recommend you only use 1Password’s PIN Code in conjunction with the Use iOS Keychain setting if you have enabled Autolock on your device and used a strong passphrase. One approach that strikes a good balance between convenience and security is to use Touch ID along with a very strong Autolock passphrase.

You may find it helpful to look at that article.

Stephen

• Eitan Freedenberg
    Eitan Freedenberg
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Stephen. I did look at that article earlier, but the app's "misbehavior" doesn't make sense in light of the explanation. If I have PIN code turned on, why does it ever ask for my Master Password? If I ask it to never request a password/PIN and never lock on exit, why does it both request a pass/PIN and lock on exit sometimes, randomly?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Eitan,

As @JasperP mentions above, what you are seeing is a known issue. We're working to get it fixed, but right now 1Password 4 for iOS won't always respect those settings, even when you have it set up nicely. As a workaround, when you are prompted for the Master Password instead of the PIN code, you can simply quit and re-open the app. It will correctly request the PIN then.

I do apologize for the inconvenience, I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.