1Password and SSH / Terminal

Options
webwalrus
webwalrus
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Mac

I registered here to post this as a question, but then figured it out on my own - so I figured I'd post in case it helps anybody else.

My problem was not being able to use 1Password's autofill functionality in Terminal. Every time I'd go enter a password I'd manually open the 1Password full app, click the search box, find my credentials, click to copy the password, click back into Terminal, paste the password, etc. This was because I didn't know how to activate 1Password Mini from anything other than a web browser.

My biggest gripe, of course, was having to get my hands on the mouse to find my credentials.

Turns out Command-Option-\ activates 1Password Mini from anywhere. So, from within Terminal:

Command-Option-\ to open 1Password Mini

Start typing the login name

Arrow down to highlight it

Right-arrow to open the login

Down arrow to select the password

Enter to copy password to the clipboard, which also closes 1Password Mini

Type your login

Paste your password

Still not as convenient as a complete auto-fill, but keeps your hands on the keyboard - which is a Big Deal if you're in Terminal. Especially convenient if you're su-ing to root, where all you need is the password.

Please accept my apologies if everybody already knows this - I've been using 1Password for close to a year and I just figured this out. :)

Thanks for the awesome software!

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You can shave a couple of keystrokes off that sequence if you want, after highlighting the entry, instead of using right arrow to expand and then down arrow to select the password, simply use ⇧⌘+C - Agilebits set that keystroke sequence up to copy the password item of the entry.

• Thanks for sharing your tips, folks!

Another good one is if you need to keep the detail view open for a bit, once you right-arrow to open it, press ⌘O to turn the detail view to a floating window. After that, though, you will need to use the mouse to click on the various fields for copy.

This discussion has been closed.