Cannot Sync 1Password Data to iPhone 5S with Either Dropbox or iCloud

Options
Cosimoto
Cosimoto
Community Member

I've tried everything, including deleting 1PW app, deleting and resetting iCloud, deleting and reinstalling Dropbox. Dropbox error is "This operation couldn't be completed (dropbox.com error 404)" and iCloud error is "Not all 1PW information was received from iCloud. Please wait for iCloud to complete downloading try again later" followed by a long list of files.

All other devices (iMac, MacBook Air, iPad Air) work fine. It's just the phone. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• kelias
    kelias
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

I have the exact same issue. (only tried it on iphone, but just bought it and it doesn't work at all) When I click Icloud it just returns to the sync page. When I click Dropbox it displays an error but clears it before I can read it all and returns me to the sync page.

• jrcbs
    jrcbs
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue on my devices.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Cosimoto‌, @kelias, and @jrcbs,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with sync right now! In order to get this sorted out, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • What solution would you like to use to keep things in sync? (Troubleshooting one will be infinitely easier than trying to troubleshoot both at the same time!)
    • Have you now, or at any point tried the iOS 8 beta on your iOS devices, or upgraded your desktop to Yosemite and the new iCloud Drive?

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

• kelias
    kelias
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on the latest version of 1Password. I just downloaded it last night.

Trying to get dropbox to work for syncing.

Never tried the new iOS 8 beta.

Managed to read the blinking error message when I click the Sync with dropbox button:

No .agilekeychain or .opvault found in Dropbox. Please make sure your on the latest version....

My Dropbox works just fine. Since I just setup 1Password this is the first time I've tried to sync to anything.

• kelias
    kelias
    Community Member
    Options

Got mine working. Had to goto Settings\Sync Service and setup dropbox there. Was trying to create a new vault when it was breaking. Looks like it should all work now.

• jrcbs
    jrcbs
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hey @Megan‌ , thanks for you reply!

• I'm using 1Password 4.4.1 on my two Macs (App Store) and 4.5.3 on my iPhone 5S; I've already deleted the app from my iphone and installed it again today (rebooted, etc.,);

• Hope to use the iCloud solution;

• Never installed the iOS 8 beta or Yosemite beta.

P.S. I opened the 1Password on my iPad 2 (same version of the app) and was informed that my sync was off. When tried to activate the iCloud sync obtained the same error (there is no data on the iCloud).

Can I provide any more info to help you out?

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jrcbs,

Thanks so much for getting back to me with those details. Now, there are a few very basic things that we need to check before we get into the more detailed troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that you are logged in with the same iCloud account on all computers and devices. (If you're like me and have somehow collected several, this could be where things are getting tangled!)
    • Please ensure that 'Documents and Data' is enabled for iCloud on all devices.

If those items check out, let's try resetting sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and tap 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices. (This step is important, as we cannot directly initiate a sync with iCloud, so sometimes iCloud might be a bit slow in moving things over.)

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

• jrcbs
    jrcbs
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan‌ ,

Unfortunately it didn't work. I follow, carefully, each step but still get the same error (on iPhone 5S and iPad 2). Anything else to try out? :-??

As I had already deleted the app before, now, the app says that need to creat another vault. Should I create another one and try to sync after that?

Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @jrcbs‌

Thanks so much for trying those steps! We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/knowledgebase/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

—iOS—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/knowledgebase/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• jrcbs
    jrcbs
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan‌ ,

Because I had installed the app again (on iphone and ipad) and the sync wasn't get the correct info I needed to create a new vault to run the diagnostic on these devices. When I did that, some miracle happened, and the sync start to work!

But, when I informed the app that I already used it before it didn't found anything at iCloud to creat the vault what sounds strange to me.

So, I think that my problem is solved. There is any way that I can help you to identify the problemas that was occurring ?

Thanks again!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jrcbs,

Diagnostics Reports are kind of like snapshots of your computer or device at the time you run the Report, so if sync is now behaving properly for you, we might not see anything in the Report that tells us what happened before. If you'd still like to send in the Reports, our team would be happy to take a peek at them.

Or, you can just keep syncing happily ... and let us know if anything weird happens again! In any case, we're here for you. :)

• Cosimoto
    Cosimoto
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I have iOS8 and Yosemite on one of my iPads and laptops. The rest are on Mavericks and iOS7. The device I'm having the problem with is on iOS7.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@Cosimoto‌

Currently if you have upgraded iCloud (iOS 7, Mavericks) to the new iCloud drive (iOS 8, Yosemite). Things in iCloud Drive cannot sync backwards to iCloud. There is a warning about this from Apple before updating but may folks missed it. I cant count how many folks ask the same question. This may or may not be the issue for you. You post left me wondering but thought I would throw it our there. The upgrade was by user Apple ID and not by device if I recall correctly. So this itself may be some of the reason for the discontinuity.

Have you upgraded to iCloud drive ? You say your having issues with iOS 7, are you referring to sync between iOS 7 and 8 ? Or something different ? The more precise details you can provide the better @Megan will be able to help out. I am just trying to get her a better understanding before she pops in.

It may be best to review the information about sending diagnostic reports in one of Megan's previous posts. It certainly will never hurt to send in the reports as you clearly have a nice mix of devices (different OS's iOS and OS X) , similar to my own. :D

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Cosimoto,

As @thightower‌ says, iCloud will not work between iOS 8 and iOS 7. We're also seeing some issues with the 1Password 4 for iOS release version in iOS 8. Our developers have fixed this issue in the betas, so you should see an update soon that fixes things. If you send the Diagnostics Reports in to our team we might be better able to sort out where things are getting tangled up for you.

:)

• Ken Ng
    Ken Ng
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan I'm also facing this problem, I'm currently using 1Password 4 Version 4.4.2.BETA-4 (442004) on my Mac and the current latest version of 1Password for iOS v4.5.3 on my iPhone 5s. Would this be a problem? I've tried both Dropbox and iCloud syncing and it didn't seem to work at all. Both devices seems have the sync settings done correctly. It's just not syncing any latest updates across the two devices.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Ken,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting synced up right now.

Could you please tell me if you're beta testing either iOS 8 and/or OS X 10.10 Yosemite? If not, I'd love to hear a few more details about the issue:

• Are you seeing an error message when attempting to sync? If so, what does it say?
    • Would you prefer to use iCloud or Dropbox? (It will be much easier to troubleshoot one than both.)

Thanks for your help in tracking this down!

• Ken Ng
    Ken Ng
    Community Member
    Options

No. I'm not testing iOS 8. But for Yosemite, it's not running on my main machine but I do however have another MacBook Air which is running Yosemite and have 1Password beta running too. Could that be the problem?

But even then, the problem should just be for iCloud, correct? I've tried Dropbox, doesn't seem to solve the problem. Let me try one thing and try to resync everything again on my iPhone. I'll report back when I've done that.

• Cosimoto
    Cosimoto
    Community Member
    Options

Same for me. I can't get iCloud or DropBox to sync on my phone. All my other devices (including one with iOS8 and one with Yosemite) work fine.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Cosimoto,

Thanks for letting me know that you are beta testing iOS 8 and Yosemite on at least some of your devices. This is likely where things are getting tangled up.

For iCloud, there are significant changes to the sync service, so once you have upgraded to the beta iCloud on any device, you will not be able to use the release version on other devices. With respect to Dropbox, there is a known issue where the release version of 1Password 4 for iOS might crash when attempting to set up Dropbox sync on iOS 8. Our developers have managed to fix the issue in the betas, so you should see an update soon that has 1Password behaving a bit better.

Again, in order to get a better idea of your situation, I'd really love to get the version numbers of both 1Password and your operating systems for all devices that are currently running 1Password. As I mentioned above, it's a bit tricky to try and troubleshoot multiple sync solutions at once. If you let me know what you would prefer to use to keep things in sync, we'll be better able to move forward.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Ken,

If you have upgraded your iCloud to the new version, you won't be able to use iCloud on any of the devices that are still on iOS 7 and OS X 10.9. Please let me know if you have any success with Dropbox - if not, we're here to help!

• Ken Ng
    Ken Ng
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan, I suppose that's my problem. I've got it working now with Dropbox sync. Had to delete the app on my iPhone and reinstall it and resync it for it to work again. It's funny that just switching it over to Dropbox sync didn't sync any of the new entries from my Mac.

But anyways, it's working for me now so I'm good.

• Jasper
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi Ken,

Glad to hear it's working again for you, using Dropbox sync. :)

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• Cosimoto
    Cosimoto
    Community Member
    Options

For an unrelated reason, I had to do a full restore on my iPhone today and when it was finished, iCloud syncing worked again. Go figure. Thanks to all for the help.

• You're welcome, @Cosimoto. Great to hear it's working now. :)

• Foxtrot79
    Foxtrot79
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a 404 error message when I try and sync to dropbox on my iPad and iPhone 6 Plus both running iOS 8. I am able to successfully allow permission to my Dropbox account and tap on the 1Password vault, but when it tries to download the security encryption the 404 error message for dopbox.com comes up. I have successfully logged into my Dropbox account on the both devices. I did try to enable 2 factor authentication after Dropbox's latest potential leak. I reversed this as soon as I had issues with Dropbox. I also went through and revoked permissions for Dropbox for everything and added it back one by one.

I also tried to remove the data from my 1Password app on the iPad and iPhone and then sync again with Dropbox. This has not helped. I also tried to remove the app and add it back on the iPad without any luck.

Everything appears to be working alright with 1Password on my Windows machine, but haven't been able to test it on my Mac since that is home and I am currently at work.

Please help as I do use 1Password for work on my iOS devices.

Thanks

• Foxtrot79
    Foxtrot79
    Community Member
    Options

I am not sure why the 404 error came up, but I was able to get around this by completely deleting the 1Password vault from my Dropbox account, then going to a computer that I synced with, restoring 1Password from a backup from yesterday and then letting that sync. Then I went to my iOS devices and was able to successfully get the app on each device to see and sync the vault.

• Ben
    Options

The 404 error is an error from the Dropbox side of the equation (vs the 1Password side). It is often a temporary error that will resolve itself, but as you found sometimes removing and re-adding the data can also fix the problem.

This discussion has been closed.