Opening 1Password opens App Store instead!?

Options
ccyoung
ccyoung
Community Member

Everything has been fine since installing 1Password about a week ago, but a weird thing started happening today. When I try to launch 1Password, the App Store comes up and asks me to sign in. It does this when I click on the icon in the dock, and it does it when I navigate to it in Finder. After selecting 1Password in Finder, the Apple menu has "App Store" as a menu item. If I click on "Open 1Password" in Mini, which continues to run the whole time, nothing happens or at least nothing that I can see. So everything seems to indicate that it is really the App Store that is tied to launching of 1Password.

Other information that may or may not be relevant.... When signing in to App Store (after clicking 1Password), it said that I have never connected to this App Store before and I should enter information about myself. Is this because I just landed in Europe? Before experiencing the problem, all my usage was in the US -- I downloaded and installed in the US, and I used the application at a number of locations in the US without any hiccups. It's probably not related but the problem started when I landed in Europe.

I have tried logging out; I have tried rebooting. No improvement. Any suggestion on what might have gone wrong and how to fix it? Thanks!

Comments

• Hi @ccyoung,

That is incredibly odd, but it could definitely be related to being in Europe. I'm not sure how the Apple ID system works when abroad. Are any other apps you have downloaded from the Mac App Store exhibiting the same behavior?

• ccyoung
    ccyoung
    Community Member
    Options

I don't have any other App Store items. Will try again when I return to the US and provide an update.

Just as further information, I can go to 1Password in Finder, right click, select "Show Package Contents", navigate to the executable, and double click to launch it. Then I feet 1Password rather than App Store. Unfortunately, it executes the command in a shell. So 1Password goes away if I close the shell window. I can get around this with "nohup " but launching it this way is a pain.

• Hi @ccyoung‌,

I was going to recommend maybe trying to download a free app on the Mac App Store as a test, but then I went to my own Mac App Store account and it looks like the Mac App Store is having some crazy issues (and I'm in the US). Purchases tells me I have not yet purchased any apps (totally not true, I have tons in there), and when I try to use View My Account, I am getting a null error.

Fun. Stuff.

So right now it looks like the Mac App Store is tripping all over itself. Maybe this is part of the problem. Let's wait a bit and see what shakes out after the Mac App Store recovers.

• Dennis Eitner
    Dennis Eitner
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. Same Problem here. I can not modify my passwords and login data since i can not open 1password again. There is no update available on appstore. Any idea what i can do?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dennis Eitner‌ The previous problems in this thread seem to all relate to issues with Apple's servers at that point in time. Can you elaborate on your situation please. Are you saying you're experiencing the exact same problems as ccyoung? the App Store is launching instead of 1Password and asking you to log in. What about the issues chrisdj reported, like the App Store saying he hadn't made any purchases. Once there's a better idea of what you're experiencing somebody can hopefully give more directed advice to sort you out :smile:

This discussion has been closed.