How safe is storing the AgileKeyChain in either iCloud or Dropbox?

Options
rbarr
rbarr
Community Member

Originally I stored the KeyChain in Dropbox as I used both the Mac and Windows version. I have just about given up on using Windows via Parallels and switched over to using iCloud. I am hopefully assuming that there is a double layer of protection in iCloud. First I have my login to iCloud (have requested two factor authentication) and then have the password required to access 1Password. It is almost daily that we are seeing some company or service being hacked. Just curious whether I am being too paranoid here or not?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I think the principal point to make is that nobody can do anything significant with your keychain file without knowing your master password. Provided you have a really strong master password it's not really going to make much difference to you if somebody manages to hack iCloud in some way and get hold of your keychain.

There are some nuances to this—like the proposed improvement inherent in the future change from keychain format to opvault format (with encryption of metadata)—but they are not something that would really bother me at this stage. (That said, I sync using wifi and don't ever use any cloud service to sync, by personal choice.)

Stephen

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I use iCloud and am confident of the strength of my Diceware-generated master password. As a consequence, I don't give a second thought to the chance that my iCould account might be compromised. The security of the 1Password data is entirely dependent on its master password, not on where it is stored.

• Hi @rbarr‌,

To back up what @Stephen_C‌ & @hawkmoth‌ are saying, I'd like to direct you to our documentation on Cloud Storage Security.

This discussion has been closed.