Can't 'open' Dropbox Apps folder to select location of 1Password data [resolved]

Options
neilc
neilc
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Hi all,

I've just downloaded and set up 1P on my iPad, using Dropbox as my sync location. If I go into DB, I can see the Apps folder and if I double click it I can then see the 1Password folder and in there there's a file called "1Password.agilekeychain".

However, when I try and add that location using the app on my Macbook Pro (running Mavericks 10.9.4), I can't open the Apps folder when trying to add it.

I select "I've used 1P before", select DB on the next page and browse to the DB folder, then the Apps folder, but when I click on open, nothing happens.

Help!

Comments

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add, I've just downloaded and installed the app on my iPhone 5S and that went fine, I just can't seem to select the necessary files in the Apps/iPassword folder on my Mac to start using the app.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @neilc,

I'm sorry that 1Password isn't cooperating when you're trying to get it to use 1Password.agilekeychain in the Dropbox/Apps/1Password folder.

I select "I've used 1P before", select DB on the next page and browse to the DB folder, then the Apps folder, but when I click on open, nothing happens.

When you reached the Apps folder did you see the 1Password folder in it? It sounds like you may need to navigate into that 1Password folder, where you should then see 1Password.agilekeychain, before opening. You can also select 1Password.agilekeychain directly once you've navigated to it.

I just can't seem to select the necessary files in the Apps/iPassword folder on my Mac to start using the app.

Are you getting stuck trying to fully navigate into that folder and find 1Password.agilekeychain there?

ref: OPM-2057

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    Options

I can't actually open the "Apps" folder in Dropbox, when I browse to it.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @neilc,

It's puzzling why you'd be able to access the Dropbox/Apps folder with Finder but not with 1Password. Can you take a screenshot of the window where 1Password won't let you open that Apps folder and attach it here so we can see exactly where it's getting stuck? Thanks!

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

It's just a generic Finder window.

Here's what I do...

Start 1Password.
    Select "I've used 1 Password before"
    Select "Dropbox" and then "Choose Vault"

At this point, the Finder window opens for me to browse to the Dropbox>Apps folder, but now matter what I do, I cannot open the Apps folder.

However, if I browse manually using Finder to that location, and see the keychain no problem.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2nva1e9.png

Help, have I wasted my money here?

• Hi @neilc,

I'll admit this is a new one for me. I use the Apps folder to house my 1Password data, too. Could you post a shot of the Open dialog within 1Password being unable to open the Apps folder?

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I'm not sure what's going on, but I think I've cocked something up! :blush:

If I open 1Password on my iPhone, I just see a login saved for Amazon.

If I open it on my Mac, I see logins saved for 5 websites.

Have I got 2 different instances running? :neutral_face:

Help!

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I think I may have made progress! :smiley:

It looks like I somehow had 2 x vaults and that's where the confusion was.

What I see on my Mac, is also what I now see on my iPhone. :smile:

So far, so good, but it looks like I'm not using the "Primary" Vault-is that a problem?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @neilc,

It does appear you've made progress and identified how your vault syncing is tangled up. Excellent! :)

To get specific details for quickly untangling this I'd like you to create and email us Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices:

Mac: https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

iOS: https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

With the report from your Mac, please include a link to this topic and your forum username, and send that to support+forum@agilebits.com.

A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent those reports would be helpful. After receiving and reviewing them we'll be able to get this taken care of for you right away. Thanks!

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    Options

I'll get on that, thank you.

The problem I have, is that 1P appears to be using a 2nd Vault, instead of my Primary Vault by default.

How can I change this please?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @neilc,

We'll email you instructions for getting your vaults and syncing fixed up once we see details in the reports you send us. Thanks!

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk Thank you, I've sent 2 x diagnostics to the email you suggested-one from my Mac and the other from my iPhone.

Also, if it helps, I bought the full version of Password yesterday for my Mac. :smile:

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add, I've just had an automated email, telling me that my diagnostics have been received.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got 'em both, @neilc. Thanks for sending those in!

Our email support team will take a look as soon as possible and let you what to do to get this resolved.

ref: KIL-78681-182

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, what's happening please?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @neilc,

Thanks for checking in on us! As you can likely imagine, we've been hearing from a lot of users since the launch of 1Password 5, both on iOS and Mac, and our small team is doing the best that we can to get back to our usual snappy responses just as soon as possible. I've made sure your email is marked as 'urgent' you should see a response soon! :)

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@megan It's very refreshing even to see a "There's no news, but we're on it" reply, so thanks for that.

I've also installed the Safari extension, so hopefully I'm doing everything right.

I think I need to get my head around everything that 1P can do for me, as it seems like a genuinely great product-is there an idiots guide somewhere? :blush:

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Not an idiots' guide :) but you'll probably find the 1Password knowledge base really helpful. There's a link to a user guide (which is a very good place to start) and also to knowledge base entries for a number of varieties of 1P.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @neilc,

Your patience here is much appreciated! I hope that @Stephen_C's link helps you out - our document gurus have been working extra hard to ensure that we have the answers that you seek available in our User Guides and Knowledgebase.

If you have any questions not covered by the guide, of course we're here to help!

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Stephen_c & @Megan‌ The guides were useful and I'm getting my head around them.

I think I may have solved my 1P using a 'Secondary' Vault.

I merged the vaults and now just have a Primary Vault that seems to work fine in conjunction with the Mac app (bought from the Mac App Store).

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @neilc,

I'm so glad to hear that you were able get things sorted out! I hope that 1Password works smoothly for you from now on, but if you hit any further snags, we're here to help. :)

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Megan‌ I think I'm ok with 1P for my Mac now, I just need to understand what the main use for it on my iPhone is-is it simply a reference point that I can open and refer to if I can't remember a password?

It doesn't open automatically like the Mac App does does it, so presumably a secure reference point is what it's for?

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, I do have a question.

I've got a login stored for a credit card webpage and it sits under "Login Items". I'd like to move that that login to Credit Cards, but I can't see a way to do it?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is currently no way easily to move an item from one category to another (although it's a feature often requested). The main hurdle is the fact that the default fields in categories differ substantially. I'm afraid you'll have to do some cutting and pasting—but it will be easier if you anchor to the desktop the source item (find it from 1P mini and then click on the anchor symbol at the bottom left of the relevant displayed login).

Stephen

• @neilc‌ Also, it is good to note that if you have a login for a credit card webpage (like to pay your bill and such) that is best left as a Login item. Whereas the Credit Card category is for storing the actual plastic card information.

Only Logins can fill login forms, and only Credit Cards can fill in a card payment form.

So, for example, let's say I bank at the fictitious 1Bank. I would save my login for 1Bank's website in my Logins. I would save my 1Bank credit or debit card info in Credit Cards.

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    Options

@chrisdj‌ It was actually a webpage login, so thanks for that.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @neilc,

Hi behalf of @chrisdj, you're most welcome. I'm glad the information he posted if useful for you.

Since everything in this discussion is nicely wrapped up now, I'm going to close it now. Please don't hesitate to start a new topic or email us directly at support@agilebits.com if you have other questions or issues – we're here for you and happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.