Uninstall 1 Password 3 without hurting 4

Options
i24teen
i24teen
Community Member

After using 1 Password 4 satisfactorily for awhile I would like to uninstall 1 Password 3 without messing up Ver 4. That means not only the app itself but related files, I sometimes use AppZapper for this, but it suggests deleting files that look like Ver 4. Can I get a list of files to delete that is safe?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

AgileBits is very strong in their advice not ever to use an uninstaller application because they often trash critical files. I just dragged version 3 from the Applications folder to the Trash when I was sure I was finished with it, and I never did clean up the other supporting files. Sorry not to be of more help, but I did want to warn you off of App Zapper. More help will arrive, and there is no emergency to get rid of the rest.

Edit: From the 1Password knowledge base:

For most users, we recommend removing only the app and browser extension. The data takes up very little space on your Mac and does not affect performance. If you reinstall the app in the future, you will be able to pick up where you left off with the same vault.

Perhaps this article on uninstalling the application will be informative.

• chrisdj
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @i24teen‌,

I'd have to agree with @hawkmoth‌ that AppZapper is not a good uninstaller to use. It hasn't been updated in years, and I fear the developer is no longer working on the project (I'd love to be proven wrong on that).

Also, we don't generally recommend using uninstaller apps anyway, as they do tend to bite off more than they should. However, if you absolutely do need to remove the supporting files for 1Password 3, you can use these steps.

• Go to Finder and choose Go > Go to Folder… and enter ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    • Delete ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist
    • Choose Go > Go to Folder… and enter ~/Library/Application Support/
    • Delete the 1Password folder
    • Restart your Mac
  • i24teen
    i24teen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice - I've decided to just delete 1Password 3 and not worry about the associated files

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @i24teen‌,

I'm glad that you successfully uninstalled 1Password 3.

On behalf of @chrisdj‌, Thank you!

Cheers!

Rad

This discussion has been closed.