Moving from Dropbox Sync to SpiderOak

Options
Homer
Homer
Community Member

Any special procedure (steps) to go from using Dropbox Sync to SpiderOak Sync. I have 1Password installed on both my iMac and a PC laptop. Looking for information. Which sync do I change over first, iMac or PC, etc. From the 1Password manual it seems pretty straight forward. Just don't want to screw up a perfectly working system. Thanks.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

1Password currently only supports syncing via iCloud (for Mac users) and Dropbox (for all platforms). There is also local wifi sync available. But although there have been many requests for alternative cloud based options, so far none have been forthcoming, although the developers always say they are considering other alternatives.

So the short answer to your question is that, at least for now, there aren't any steps to move to SpiderOak Sync.

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member
    Options

I was talking about this feature as described in the 1Password Mac user manual:

Most sync services begin with the specification of a folder on your computer. For example, Dropbox creates a Dropbox folder on your computer and syncs everything in that folder. If you use a cloud sync service that isn’t built into 1Password, like SugarSync or SpiderOak, you can use 1Password’s folder sync feature to keep your 1Password vault in sync using that service. You will also find this method useful if you use an application like ChronoSync to sync data between computers on the same network.

In essence, we tell 1Password to sync the vault with a specific folder, and then we tell our sync solution (a cloud-based service or a local application) to keep that folder in sync.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I see. Just remember that folder sync isn't automatic. You'll have to make sure your changes are transferred by manually initiating the process.

Sorry I misunderstood. I dont have any experience with folder sync. I expect someone who has will happen along and help.

• Hi @Homer‌,

To use Folder sync, I would designate a folder on your Mac that you want to sync the 1Password data into, and that SpiderOak can watch. Then set up Folder sync to point to that folder, and it will write out a 1Password.agilekeychain file to that folder.

On the PC, once that new 1Password.agilekeychain has synced in via SpiderOak, you should be able to open 1Password, click File > Open 1Password Vault and select the new 1Password.agilekeychain to have Windows sync to it.

Now, while this should work, there may be intricacies with SpiderOak that we have not reviewed or accounted for, as it is an untested setup.

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I'll give it a try but leave my Dropbox account active just in case I need to go back to that sync method. Once (if) I have SpiderOak working consistently over a period of a few days I'll post my experience with it back here. I'm hoping to be able to use the SpiderOak "Hive" feature and just create a folder in there that will sync automatically on both the Mac and PC. Fingers crossed.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Homer,

I hope that your switch from Dropbox to Folder Sync (with SpiderOak) goes well! If you have any questions, we'll do our best to help you out. :)

This discussion has been closed.