Spouses accessing same stored information

Options
DBJ
DBJ
Community Member

My wife and I both have downloaded 1Password 4.4.1 onto our Macbooks. But, we don't find an obvious way to be able to share the information behind the master password. How can we set it up so that both of our computers always have the same passwords for websites that we have entered into 1Password? We both want to be able to access to the web sites [e.g., banks, brokerage] behind the security partition of the master password. We have looked at a lot of the FAQs on the 1Password website but aren't able find out how to do it. The words primary and secondary vault are a bit confusing. After we do this, we would like to link these to our iPads and iPhones. Many thanks for your advice

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Secondary vaults are about segregating entries either as a form of logical divide or security divide (for sharing). If you want both you and your wife to have access to the entire vault all you have to look into is syncing. If both of you use the same iCloud account then you can sync via that, if not a single Dropbox account that you can both access will do the trick. Happily enough this is also all you have to do to 'link' your iOS devices too.

If you want some items kept personal then sharing secondary vault would probably be what you're after.

Because I don't use Dropbox or iCloud myself, somebody else here may be able to provide slightly more precise information. Personally I'd make sure one of your computers holds a copy of all the entries of both machines and sync that one to Dropbox. Then start with a clean vault on the other machine and have that sync to Dropbox (in this case pull down the entire vault copied to Dropbox by the other machine). At that point both machines would be using the same vault and same master password, just as all your iOS devices would be as well. You may find somebody more knowledgeable informs you that 1Password will handle merging differences between the vaults on the initial sync - I'm just not sure myself.

Does that help?

• Hi @DBJ‌,

Am I understanding correctly that both you and your wife want to be able to share the same exact data all the time?

If so, the best approach is to use Dropbox. Do you and your wife have a Dropbox account at all, or do you have one and share it, or do you have separate Dropbox accounts? Once I know that, I can help a lot more.

• Jenni
    Jenni
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @chrisdj‌, I'm new to 1Password but have this exact situation (i.e. wife and I will use one 1P account, share all info via shared dropbox account--thanks to your post!). I'm 3/4 of the way there (have installed 1P on my iPhone, my mac account, her mac account, but now need to install the app on her iPhone). How do I get the app onto her phone (without buying a second license)? With my phone, I purchased via the AppStore.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

As long as you and your wife purchase your software from Apple with the same Apple ID, you can simply download the copy you already bought to her phone. If you use different IDs for this purpose, then you will need to purchase a separate copy for her under her Apple ID.

The above is true FOR NOW... When iOS 8 arrives next week, it will include family sharing, which allows up to six family members to share media and applications, so long as all accounts use the same credit card. Developers will have to opt in for this to work, and AgileBits hasn't said whether they will do so, but if the present system would require you to buy a separate copy for your wife, I'd suggest you wait until next week to see how it unfolds. I have no inside information on what will happen in this regard to 1Password, but the AgileBits folks have always tried to take care of their users when they can.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jenni,

I hope @hawkmoth's explanation helped you with getting 1Password installed on your wife's iPhone. If you still need more assistance with that or anything else please let us know; we're happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.