1Password 5 not unlocking Pro feature for existing user [Fix steps in post #15]

Options
2»

Comments

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

Would not activate pro features. Deleted app and went to download it, but saw that it was marked "free" rather than with the cloud download icon.

Surmised that 1P4/iOS must have been purchased by my wife.

Logged out of the store, re-logged in with my wife's Apple ID, downloaded the app, and it launched.

Because I had deleted the app, it forgot my keychain as well as the sync settings, but I was able to restore them without difficulty. Pro features are there.

All is good.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MeGeeTee‌

Thanks for taking the time to write in - I'd be happy to clear things up for you here. I know the issue is a bit complicated with Family Sharing.

My question is about how this works ging forward is, if I have unlocked the pro features already on an iPhone which is using a different appleID, but it was done by changing the store appleID, signing in and unlocking pro features, and then signing back into the other appleID, will downloading the latest version into iTunes using the original appleID in iTunes, and updating to the iPhone keep the pro features enabled, or will I have to restore them every time?

As always, your purchases are still tied to the AppleID that originally made the purchase. Unfortunately, since Apple has decided that at this time In-App Purchases are not included in Family Sharing, the purchase of the Pro features (or free upgrade for existing users) will only apply to the AppleID that made the purchase of 1Password for iOS.

Any updates to 1Password 5 for iOS will require the AppleID that the original purchase was made under.

You mention changing AppleIDs to unlock Pro features on all your family members' devices. I have to caution you about this idea. Please understand that this is not because we want to encourage you to purchase the Pro features individually for each family member. But we have heard cases of Apple disabling switching between AppleIDs for a significant period of time if you move back and forth too often.

We really hope that Apple decides to include In-App Purchases in Family Sharing one day (hopefully soon!)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @benfdc,

I sincerely apologize for the trouble! Version 5.0.1 should have the issue of the Pro features being unlocked, but if you notice any further weird behaviour, you know where to find us ... and we'll do the best we can to get things behaving for you as soon as possible. :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

@Megan wrote:

You mention changing AppleIDs to unlock Pro features on all your family members' devices. I have to caution you about this idea. Please understand that this is not because we want to encourage you to purchase the Pro features individually for each family member. But we have heard cases of Apple disabling switching between AppleIDs for a significant period of time if you move back and forth too often.

I believe that the rule is that, if you have automatic downloads enabled on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, you can change the Apple ID on your device that is associated with the iTunes and App Stores once every ninety days. If I am not mistaken, this same constraint applies when you want to download already-purchased items. If all you care about is running apps, an Apple ID can be associated with up to five devices, multiple Apple IDs can be associated with a single device, you can transfer a friend's or family member’s purchased apps from their iTunes library to yours via iTunes Home Sharing, and then you can sync the transferred apps to your own device via iTunes.

Bottom line: the 90-day rule is not an insuperable barrier if all you want to do is transfer an app, but it does impact in-app purchases. I think that the switch to a freemium business model for 1Password is a smart move, but there are consequences!

• Thanks for sharing, @benfdc, this is good info!

• chask
    chask
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Edit - Thought I had a problem, but I don't.

• chask
    chask
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Edit - double post

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chask,

I'm so glad to hear that you don't have a problem - that's wonderful! :) If ever you do, you know where to find us.

• Zigster
    Zigster
    Community Member
    Options

Not working for me, I'm afraid, on my wife's iPhone 5 running iOS 8.

I've deleted and reinstalled like you suggest but "Restoring Purchases" just greys out and hangs which I tap it. I don't have family sharing enabled - not least because I still have an iPhone 4 (the horror) which can't "upgrade" to iOS 8.

The non-pro features are available on the iPhone 5, but not the pro features which include quite a lot of important business-related information for us.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

• Hi @Zigster,

Are you signed into the App Store with the same Apple ID that was used to purchase 1Password originally?

• Zigster
    Zigster
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response.

I am logged in with the same Apple ID as was originally used to purchase 1Password. However, and I'm not sure if this is relevant, I wasn't initially - when I initially started browsing on this forum I realised the iPhone was logged in with a different Apple ID and corrected that hoping it would be a quick fix. Unfortunately, using the correct Apple ID doesn't seem to work.

Thanks also to Megan for responding to my PM.

Z

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Zigster,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having troubles. Just to confirm: are you installing the app directly from the App Store or from iTunes? The instructions in post #15 mention an issue if the app is installed from iTunes.

• Zigster
    Zigster
    Community Member
    Options

I've tried both approaches:

• deleting from the iPhone and reinstalling by syncing with iTunes on my iMac; and
    • deleting from the iPhone and reinstalling via the App Store on the iPhone.

I'll try both again this evening and post if that works (or not).

Thanks again - much appreciated.

• Ben
    Options

Please let us know. Unfortunately we're at the extent of the troubleshooting steps that we have to try. If that does not work we'd need to refer you to iTunes Support who can actually pull up the purchase records etc and help further.

• Zigster
    Zigster
    Community Member
    Options

Actually - deleting and reinstalling from the App Store seems to have worked - all the databases are now available. Not sure why it didn't work the first time I deleted and downloaded from the App Store but the problem is now solved.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

• Ben
    Options

Excellent. Thanks for the update @Zigster.

• Cedric Gyselinck
    Cedric Gyselinck
    Community Member
    Options

Deleting the app and reinstalling it from the appstore (not with an iTunes sync) solved the problem for me too!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update!

This discussion has been closed.