How do the Master Password and TouchID settings work? [see FAQ, post #15]

Options
2»

Comments

• aplnub
    aplnub
    Community Member
    Options

Touch ID works for a day or so then just stops. I have to type in the password.

30 Days
    2 minutes
    Touch ID On
    Keychain On

• dsjr2006
    dsjr2006
    Community Member
    Options

The settings are completely unreliable! I'm having to enter my password at least once a day, despite having it set to 30 days and p it stored in the keychain. I probably shouldn't be that surprised because I had basically the same issues before the v5 update with the pin code. I would be more than willing to pay for an upgrade to a version that works like it should.

• Mattias Dabo
    Mattias Dabo
    Community Member
    Options

Like many other users, I'd like to use my TouchID in place of the master password, but it appears that Agilebits' philosophy is on a different level in terms of security, or perceived security perhaps.

This works as I want it to in LastPass and one can debate over which is safer, but I've decided not to waste any more time using so I'm going with LastPass instead as I'm not working for FBI and my problem is sorted...

• digitaldog
    digitaldog
    Community Member
    Options

Like many other users, I'd like to use my TouchID in place of the master password, but it appears that Agilebits' philosophy is on a different level in terms of security, or perceived security perhaps.

I think what they suggest makes sense up to the 30 day limit. IOW, we should have to enter the password text at once a month (or if the phone reboots) but other than that limitation, we should be able to use TouchID. And I believe that IS what they are trying to do. Why many of us can't get the new system to work more than 1 hour is something they need to fix.

• Hi folks,

If you are still having this issue please be sure you've tried toggling 'Use iOS keychain' in Settings > Advanced OFF and then back ON. If that does not resolve the issue, please send us a diagnostic report.

Please create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• GlennMcQ
    GlennMcQ
    Community Member
    Options

I can't tell you how helpful this thread is. Thank you to everyone for not only posting great questions but for also posting very detailed and helpful solutions. This is one of the few "how to" threads anywhere that actually provides real answers to an issue. This was driving me nuts!

Megan, thanks for weighing in and thanks for taking the feedback so well from everyone. Once again, you illustrate why AgileBits deserves its excellent reputation.

• Thanks for the kind words and feedback, @GlennMcQ‌ !

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Paul Ruseau,

I sincerely apologize for the frustration here. I have a few suggestions here that might make your life a bit easier.

First of all, an easily-memorable Master Password doesn't necessarily have to be weak. There is a way to create strong, secure Master Passwords that are actually pretty easy to remember. Have you heard about Diceware? Our security guru discusses the benefits of a system like this in our blog post: Towards Better Master Passwords. I use Diceware for the few passwords that I may need to remember in addition to my Master Password: my AppleID (because Apple insists on asking for it constantly in a way that makes it hard to copy and paste from 1Password) and my Dropbox password (in case I need to access 1PasswordAnywhere). It's a bit surprising how easy these passwords are to remember, even if I don't use them every day.

Beyond making your Master Password even simpler to remember, TouchID is configurable so that you almost never have to enter your Master Password. The 'Request Master Password after' setting is for periods of inactivity. So, if you have 1Password set to request the Master Password after 30 days of inactivity, as long as you (or your husband) use 1Password more than once a month, you will never have to enter your Master Password ... except when you restart your device.

I wish I had a better answer for you here, but I do hope that this helps! :)

• alanescano
    alanescano
    Community Member
    Options

Wait!!!! I know that having two Auto-Lock settings (one for Master Password, and another one for Touch ID) might be bit confusing for some of your clients (I was also confused at first). But for some of us who take some time to understand it, it actually makes sense. And it is actually much better in terms of our security to control BOTH settings independently of each other. So, PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE our choice to have them set to two different Auto-Lock times as this will make it worse for us! For those that get confused, it would just be a matter of re-reading your very well written explanations and experimenting with it a few times. And they will eventually get it - and more importantly, they would actually end up appreciating having both choices. You got it right the first time Jeff! Please DO NOT TAKE A STEP BACK and limit our choices by only giving us one option! Let's move forward here, not backward. Thanks Jeff! Appreciate all your great work so far!

• Rabbit32
    Rabbit32
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, when I read their detailed discussion of the new Lock settings, it wasn't perfectly accurate. In particular, the Master Password timeout is not based on when it was last used to unlock the vault. It's based on the total time that has lapsed since the app was used. I learned this through some tests I ran with 1P5 on my iPhone 5s. I had intended to communicate this several days ago, but it slipped my mind.

• This discussion was created from comments split from: Touch ID in 1Password 5.
  • Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, folks. :)

• Ric Mershon
    Ric Mershon
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I have version 5.1.2 and some of the settings discussed here don't appear to be in this version. The following settings are not found in my version:

1. Use iOS Keychain is nowhere on the Settings->Advanced page.
    2. Request fingerprint is nowhere on the Settings->Security page.
    3. Request After is nowhere on the Settings->Security page.

I have Touch ID enabled on the Security page but it's not working. Please help.

Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ric Mershon

You've resurrected an older thread so some of these no longer apply. In 1Passord for iOS 5.1 we attempted to reduce the confusion some of these settings were having and simplified it. If you were to check out the release notes for 5.1 you'd find

• The iOS Keychain will be used to store the Master Password when Touch ID/PIN Code is enabled

and we also simplified other settings. We have a couple of pages in our guide that might help with how settings are currently laid out. The first refers to the Security">Settings > Security page and this one on Touch ID.

Now just to warn you, if you're having problems they may not be enough to work out what is going on so I'm not suggesting those pages will be all you need, merely they will help enlighten you as to how things are meant to be working at the moment.

So after give them a read if you could post back here with how it isn't working and we'll do our best to help you out.

• Ric Mershon
    Ric Mershon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Thanks for quick reply. I've checked multiple threads and read the pages you suggest. It just doesn't work.

Thanks again,

-ric.

• Ben
    Options

Hi Ric,

Could you please be a little more explicit? What do you mean by "it's not working"?

• Ric Mershon
    Ric Mershon
    Community Member
    Options

The Touch ID menu never appears.

• Hi Ric,

So are you always prompted for your master password when opening 1Password?

• Ric Mershon
    Ric Mershon
    Community Member
    Options

That's correct.

• Ben
    Options

Ric,

Please create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Ric Mershon
    Ric Mershon
    Community Member
    Options

I guess that's technically not true. I have autolock set to 1 hour and that works.

• Ben
    Options

Ric,

So changing the auto-lock setting resolves the issue?

• Ric Mershon
    Ric Mershon
    Community Member
    Options

No, it just gives me an hours' time when the master password is not required.

• Ric Mershon
    Ric Mershon
    Community Member
    Options

I've sent the requested report. Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, Ric! We've received it, and will get back to you as soon as one of our technical gurus has had a chance to review it.

ref: XYL-32966-121

This discussion has been closed.