All folders are "empty"

Options
Kento Ito
Kento Ito
Community Member

After upgrading to version 5 today, everything in the folder section is empty, even though when I try to move some of the passwords into different folders, it says it's in the folder.

Here are the screenshot.

Password for New York Times, for example, is supposed to be in the folder, "Newsstands", but it's empty. But when I try to move the password to different folder, it says that the password IS in the folder "newsstands"

Is this a known issue with this version of 1Password, or is this something to do with Cloudkit? (I am also running 1Password on my Mac, but it's running Public Beta 3 of Yosemite so it shouldn't be a problem)

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If you are trying to synchronise using iCloud between a Mac and your phone please ready the sticky at the top of the forum. In essence, it won't work until Yosemite is released.

Stephen

• Kento Ito
    Kento Ito
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also running the latest beta version of 1Password for Mac as well...

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure that the beta version will work (and I rather think it doesn't). Note this in the sticky:

Because Yosemite has not yet been released, it is currently not possible to sync iOS 8 devices with Macs using iCloud.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Kento,

Please try switching to Dropbox and see if your data displays properly. :)

• davidMagic
    davidMagic
    Community Member
    Options

I am also facing the same issue. All the folders are empty. I am running 1Password 5 on my iPhone.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @davidMagic‌

In order to get this sorted out, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • What are you using to keep things in sync?

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue. I am using 1password 5 on and iPhone 5 and iPad air, both using ios 8. I am using iCloud, NOT icoud drive.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51‌

There are a number of reasons why iCloud may not be syncing properly. We have a troubleshooting guide to help walk you through all the variables that might be affecting your iCloud sync. Please have a look through this guide to find more information:

http://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/icloud-sync-checklist-cloudkit

I hope this helps you get sorted out, but if you have any further questions, we're here to help!

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I checked the guide and the only option left is to delete the data in icloud, before I do that I have a question, most likely based on my ignorance:

My data was syncing correctly until I upgraded to iOS 8 and 1p5. If the folders in both of my devices are empty as a result of the upgrades, won't I, by deleting the data in icloud, also be deleting the only place where the folder info exists?

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Megan

Just read your response #5 in the 'confused about icloud thread'. In it you state that "If you upgrade to iOS 8 and 1Password 5 for iOS, you must enable iCloud Drive in order to use iCloud sync (see the reason above)".

I performed both updates, but have not activated iCloud Drive. could this be the cause of my folders being empty?

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Addendum: I have a Mac with 1p4 and Mavericks. I knew going in that I would not be able to sync between my devices and the Mac, but I've hesitated activating the iDrive out of concern about the I pact on my other docs that I do sync.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51‌

Again, my apologies for the confusion here. It's been an interesting time dealing with this gap in iCloud sync. If you do not use 1Password on your Mac, then you can indeed upgrade to iCloud Drive in iOS 8. This might get your sync issue fixed! Please let me know how it works.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

I think I will hold off taking any action now because I am still concerned about the impact moving to the iDrive will have on the syncing of my contacts between my devices and Mac and syncing of calendar between my devices and my wife's devices.

I can live with empty folders for now. I will revisit this issue when I get more info on the other issues.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51‌

I can certainly understand being hesitant about iCloud Drive. Please do keep in mind that Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync can also keep your data synced while we wait with bated breath for Yosemite to solve all our iCloud dilemmas. ;)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Started the process of using Dropbox. Are there guidelines for switching from dropbox back to icloud, which I will want to do at some point?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

See Switching to iCloud in the iOS knowledge base.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51‌

We've got you covered there: How to switch to iCloud is also available in our knowledge base. :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Looked at the on knowledge base. It addresses the switch as if you have never used icloud before. Since I am a current user of icloud, should I delete the 1p5 data file in iCloud BEFORE I swithc back from Dropbox? I am assuming the answer is yes,

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51‌

Since your data in 1Password is stored locally as well as in the sync source there is no danger to removing the data from iCloud. It will also ensure that if you do switch back to iCloud later, that there won't be an old datafile (with potentially out-dated information) cluttering up the works. :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to revisit my earlier question (#10 above). If the data is stored locally, I would be okay in deleting the file in iCloud and re-sync in an attempt to repopulate the currently empty folders, correct?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51‌

You can certainly try to re-sync via iCloud if you would like. Deleting the data in iCloud simply gives 1Password a chance to generate a fresh data file for your other devices to sync to.

• KayJay
    KayJay
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I have tried everything suggested in this discussion and nothing seems to be working. On my iPad (iOS 8 with 1Password5), everything shows up correctly including the information in the folders...on my iPhone 5S (iOS8 with 1Password5), the folders are all showing as "empty" as per the original post. I do use iCloud Drive/Sync on both devices and do not currently sync with my iMac (it does not have Yosemite yet).

Thanks.

• Nemo60
    Nemo60
    Community Member
    Options

I have exactly the same problem. Works fine on iPad but on iPhone 5s all folders remain empty

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

I followed the procedures on deleting icoud data and re-syncing my devices and my folders on BOTH devices are still empty. I am running 1P5.1 and iOS 8 on all devices.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Kevin,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble here. Let's try resetting sync to see if that gets things displaying properly.

In order to fix iCloud sync, we're going to need to reset the data stored in iCloud, then regenerate it.

I'd like you to pick a device that has all of the data (with folders displaying properly) on it. We'll call this device the primary device. We will call all other devices the secondary device(s).

=== On ALL devices

• Open 1Password
    • Tap Settings > Sync
    • Disable all syncing options

=== On Primary Device

• Remove iCloud Data by going to 1Password's Settings > Advanced > Erase iCloud Data

• Open 1Password

• Tap Settings > Sync
    • Turn iCloud On

=== IMPORTANT

You should wait a few minutes for the data to sync.

=== On Secondary Devices

• Open 1Password
    • Tap Settings > Advanced > Erase Data

1Password will quit after this.

After that, restart the app and you should see that your data arrived via iCloud after typing in your Master Password.

This should get everything back on the same page. If you're still having trouble please let us know and we'll investigate further.

• KayJay
    KayJay
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I had already tried those steps previously and I tried them again just now and the folders on my iPhone 5S are still showing as empty. Everything on my iPad is perfect, it's just my iPhone that has this issue.

Thank you
    Kevin

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Kevin,

My apologies! Let's take a closer look at your system then, in an attempt to determine just where things are getting tangled up. I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your iOS devices. (This will allow us to compare the one that's behaving with the one that is not.)

—iOS—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• KayJay
    KayJay
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, I've emailed the Diagnostic Reports from both my iPad and my iPhone. One other thing I noticed is that even though the folders are not empty on my iPad like they are on the iPhone, they still do not show everything in them...some entries do not show up in the folder, but when I find them via search and go to add them to the folder, they show as already being in that folder.

Thanks again,
    Kevin

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

On my iPad, I found if I move an record to a different folder from what it was in originally, it shows up in the new folder. If I then move it back to the original folder, it still shows up. However, it does not sync to my iPhone. So I now have one record appearing in a previously empty folder on my iPad.

I then did the same thing on my iPhone and I was able to populate a folder. But again, it did not sync to my iPad.

For what it is worth.

• Hi Kevin,

I don't see any emails from your Gmail address that is registered here on the forums. Could you please send me a private message here and let me know what email address you emailed the report from?

@rlgleason51‌

Are other changes syncing... e.x. If you create a new secure note on one of the devices does it appear on the other?

This discussion has been closed.