Options
2»

Comments

• Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Correction to my post above -- step 3 should read update to 1PW 5 (not 4). If a mod can edit it, that would be great.

Edit: oddly, this topic does not show up on the topic list for the 1Password for iOS forum?

• aarong
    aarong
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

I am in a similar situation to @Patrix99‌

Having paid for the app in anticipation of sharing a vault with family, then to have that feature removed for my family members is a disappointment. Will AgileBits devise access for those of us for paid for the app prior to this being announced? There must be a way to make this right for those of us affected. Or is the official stance from AgileBits "sorry that you feel bad"?

@AledGriffiths - thanks for the instructions. That works for me as a hack, but I think we'll have to login on the App Store with the main Apple ID every time we need to download updates. Not the smooth workflow I was hoping for to share passwords with the family.

• ctyryder
    ctyryder
    Community Member
    Options

I don't quite understand what everyone is complaining about. Simply login to App Store with the AppleID you originally used to purchase 1Password on each of your family's iDevice. Problem solved - you can now 'restore purchases' of this (and any other) app. If you want to still use Family Sharing for other purposes (Location tracking, photo sharing, etc) - you can. Being logged into App Store with a different Apple ID doesn't break Family Sharing.

Apple botched the Family Sharing by not allowing to share IAP - that is not AgileBits' fault. You can still "share" your app amongst your family devices the old fashioned way. No one is stopping you, and no one is forcing you to use Family Sharing.

• aarong
    aarong
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

@ctyryder‌ There are two reasons that using the original Apple ID instead of Family Sharing is a letdown.

First, @Megan‌ from AgileBits warns us to be careful switching Apple IDs frequently:

Apple only allows IDs to be switched so often on a device, and we have seen the timeout until you can switch again be up to one year. So users who do wish to try this must be aware of this potential.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/143235/#Comment_143235

Second, you'll have to log in again with the original Apple ID each time a device needs to download app updates. This is tedious with a few family members who have a few devices each.

I think it is reasonable for those of us who bought into the 1Password ecosystem in hopes of smooth way to share passwords with family across Mac and iOS to feel put out here. If Apple botched IAP sharing, AgileBits still chose to move to the freemium model, and should still find a way to make this right for paying customers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Patrix99‌

When iOS 8 was announced, I asked 1Password via Twitter if this meant that if I had a Pro version, my family members could download it too. The response was, "it does seem like that way". Right until Tuesday before iOS 8 was released, I thought this was true.

The response you got at the time reflected our understanding of the issue. We had our documentation all written up for advising users on how to implement Family Sharing to get 1Password's Pro features onto all family members' devices. It was quite a surprise to us when we discovered that our understanding was incorrect.

Again, you have our sincere apologies that this decision caused you frustration - we did not anticipate that making the app free would cause so much trouble!

Hi @Chris100,

I've edited your instructions to say v5 instead of v4. (It's a mistake I've been making fairly frequently since the update too - thank goodness for editing powers!)

Thanks so much for your understanding about the issue. We'll keep our fingers crossed that Apple one day (soon) decides to allow In-App Purchases with Family Sharing.

• ctyryder
    ctyryder
    Community Member
    Options

@‌aarong

Second, you'll have to log in again with the original Apple ID each time a device needs to download app updates

No you don't. Just leave each device of your family members logged into App Store with the ID that you use for App purchases.

In my family - we use my Apple ID for all App Store purchases. All my family members are logged into App Store with my ID, but still use their own personal Apple IDs for iCloud login. This gives us the best of all worlds - we can keep out iCloud stuff separate, while still taking advantage of Family Sharing features.. and we aren't affected by this silly IAP limitation, as all devices are logged into App Store with the same master ID.

This App Store sharing model still works fine, just like it did before Family Sharing was introduced. That's why I don't understand why you're directing your frustration at AgileBits. How did you share 1Password across your family devices before Family Sharing? You can continue doing that - neither AgileBits nor Apple are forcing you to switch to Family Sharing. AgileBits switch to freemium model has nothing to do with Family Sharing.

• aarong
    aarong
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

@ctyryder‌ - If the family members have their own Apple IDs on their own devices, then I believe that we will have to swap Apple IDs for each subsequent update if following @Aled Griffiths‌ instructions. I'm glad to hear that the issue here doesn't affect your particular configuration of Apple IDs. In my case, each family member has their own Apple IDs. We didn't have a good way to share passwords under this arrangement, which is why I was excited to use 1Password and Family Sharing.

I still hold that those of us who anticipated using Family Sharing with 1Password have a valid reason to feel disappointed. Our plans were thwarted as an unintended consequence of the move to a freemium model. My hope is that AgileBits will do something to help paid customers in this situation, such as allowing our families to unlock the Pro features through an IAP promo code. I'm posting here because I know AgileBits has taken good care of customers in the past.

@Megan, is there any hope of AgileBits helping out the paid customers in this position?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ctyryder‌

I'm so glad you've got a system for your family's AppleIDs that let you have the best of both worlds - thanks for sharing your set-up here!

Hi @aarong,

Unfortunately, the article you link to discusses a particular case where EA was given promo codes as a part of a promotion. The article (written in May) mentions that:

Apple has not yet updated its developer site to reflect the availability of in-app promo codes and its rules still state "Promo codes don't work for In-App purchase products, including Newsstand issues."

I've just checked Apple's developer guidelines, and the rules remain the same. This goes along with what I've been hearing from the rest of the team. We had hoped to have promo codes available, for exactly the reasons that you suggest, but it is just not possible at this time.

Again, you have my apologies for the frustration here, I wish I had a better answer for you!

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    Options

Having paid for the app in anticipation of sharing a vault with family, then to have that feature removed for my family members is a disappointment. Will AgileBits devise access for those of us for paid for the app prior to this being announced? There must be a way to make this right for those of us affected. Or is the official stance from AgileBits "sorry that you feel bad"?

Yes this is very disappointing. I purchased 1PW for the original $9.99 on iOS hoping to enable family sharing for iOS 8. At the time, this was my understanding. I want to believe AhileBits didn't go the fremium model because of the impending Family Sharing feature, but the timing is ridiculously suspicious. I think they really should make it right for those in that circumstance. I am not saying I have the answer, but I wish they had announced this decision early enough so people could make a more informed decision. Feels like a bait & switch. Buy the product now with the understanding of family sharing, only to switch it to a freemium model when (literally) the day comes.

• Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    Options

There was some concern earlier in the thread that logging in and out of the app store may lock you out of family sharing.

According to the Apple support document below, this can happen it if you leave and rejoin a family:

How do I leave a family group?

>

Any family member over the age of 13 can remove themselves from a family group at any time. Go to Settings > iCloud > Family, tap your name, then tap Leave Family.

>

After you leave a family, you can join or set up a new one. However you can only switch to a different family group once per year.

This is different than logging out of the app store and logging back in with a separate apple ID.

You can log out of the app store in Settings > iTunes and App Store. This lets you log out of the store, but you are still in the family.

So I think it might be safe to do this on family members devices to get 1PW up and running, then log them back into the store using their own account. Just be sure you do NOT log them out of iCloud.

The Apple Support document in question is:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201081?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

• Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    Options

Another limitation also does not apply if you log in//out of the store but stay in the family.

Share content from a different Apple ID

>

You can change the Apple ID that you use to share once every 90 days. Go to Settings > iCloud > Family, tap your name, then tap your Apple ID. After you change your Apple ID, you'll start sharing from the new account instead of your previous one. Your family members will no longer be able to access or download purchases from your previous account.

Once again, this limitation only has to do with the family settings. It should not come into play if you log out of iTunes and App Store under the settings app.

The support doc with this info is at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201085

• Hi folks,

The App Store is both a blessing and a curse. Don't get me wrong: it is obviously much more the former than the latter. But the fact that iOS apps can only be sold there, and that Apple imposes restrictions on those sales, puts us in a tight spot on occasion (this being one of them).

Here is how it breaks down:

• We can only sell the app through Apple
    • Apple doesn't allow promo codes to be used on IAPs
    • Apple doesn't apply IAPs to Family Sharing
    • IAPs cannot be purchased as a gift (e.x. we can't buy it for you)

We were (and are!) so excited about the freemium model and also Family Sharing. We had hoped it would allow you to easily share the security of 1Password with your whole family. We're just as bummed about particular this situation as you are. Not all of this information was available or readily apparent during our transition to the freemium/IAP model. I think it is also important to keep in mind that this is the first generation of Family Sharing and Apple may make improvements in this area in the future.

I do apologize, but at this point the best I can offer is the above explanation.

Ben

• hzhong
    hzhong
    Community Member
    Options

I am just considering using 1password (I've never used a password manager - I've been keeping stuff in a spreadsheet manually). I've downloaded the trial version of 1password on Mac and the freemium IOS version and got them to sync through dropbox, so all seems well.

I plan to use it with my wife, and it's possible we'll be sharing a vault for certain accounts. Right now we use Family Sharing. Looks like we'll not be able to do this on IOS due to the IAP issue.

What about on Mac? Can we share the same Mac version using separate Apple IDs? Does it require Yosemite? Since the Mac version is much more expensive, it'd be a deal killer if I cannot get it to share.

Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @hzong,

You can buy 1Password from our web store and it won't be restricted to AppleIDs at all, you can use it on any Macs you want with the same family license.

The webstore version at the moment supports Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and Yosemite.

• mcschlotz
    mcschlotz
    Community Member
    Options

Has anyone actually used the solution mentioned in posts #31 & 32? I would like to know how successful you were and if there are still issues remaining to be resolved?

• jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    Options

Random thought, but would it not be possible for AgileBits to devise something that would allow the Pro features to at least be "unlocked" in a shared vault scenario? For users who have different accounts, but are sharing the same vault, it should be possible to devise something that "unlocks" the Pro features based on an authorization key stored within the 1Password database somewhere.

There seems to be no Apple restrictions I'm aware of on doing this, and many other companies that use their own separate user account system (e.g. Microsoft, Dropbox, Evernote, Rdio, etc) have no problem with their subscriptions being shared across multiple iTunes Store accounts, since once purchased, the subscription clearly becomes associated with the user's account with the developer, and not just the Apple ID.

This discussion has been closed.