1Password not importing version 3 data

Options
guitarguymike
guitarguymike
Community Member

I just upgraded to version 5 and followed the directions to import my version 3 data. The last step in version 5 states, "Unlock your data from version 3 to finish importing", which I do, but nothing happens. This message continues to pop up every time I access the app. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @guitarguymike,

It just so happens that we have a handy-dandy user guide to help you through this process. Please have a look at this guide:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/upgrading-from-legacy-versions

There are a few fiddly bits there, so, if you have any questions after going through the process, we're here to help! :)

• guitarguymike
    guitarguymike
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan. I was pretty sure that those steps are what I had done, but just to make sure I closed 1Password 3, uninstalled 1Password5, and ran through the steps exactly as documented. No change. Then I thought maybe the version 3 unlock password is not the same as the master password requested in version 5. So this time I used the master password from my Mac and it worked.

Now the next question is how to keep it synced with my Mac. I have 1Password 4 on my Mac. I know it can't sync with iCloud. When I select Sync Using Wi-Fi it tells me to open the Mac version on select Window > Wi-Fi Sync, which is not an option. Is there any way to sync with Wi-Fi, or is Drop Box the only option with the version I have?

Thanks

• guitarguymike
    guitarguymike
    Community Member
    Options

Oops - I have 3.8.2.2 on the Mac.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @guitarguymike‌

I'm glad to hear you've got your data into 1Password 5 for iOS! Unfortunately, Wi-Fi sync has changed significantly since 1Password 3 for Mac. So if you would like to continue using 1Password 3 on your Mac then Dropbox is your best option for syncing.

The instructions for getting 1Password 5 for iOS set up are here: Dropbox. To link 1Password 3 for Mac up, use the instructions here.

If you have any further questions, we're here for you!

• maxd
    maxd
    Community Member
    Options

More or less the same issue here. I have updated from a purchased 4 to the latest 5. It was purchased in anticipation of ios8 and not been used. I have 3.7.2 with all my passwords. I'm following the instructions, but when I open 3 from the link in 5, nothing happens. I just get the ordinary "enter unlock code".

Any ideas? Not sure I understand what worked for guitarguymike. I have not yet given the master password for 5. I understand that will be done after the import. I do not sync with Mac or pc. I did however sync with a trial version of 1pAssword for Mac at some stage. Not sure that got anything to do with it, though.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @maxd,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble here. Did you enter your unlock code for 1Password 3 for iOS when prompted? Once your data is unlocked, the import should begin.

If we absolutely can't get your data imported directly from 3 to 5, we can always use a legacy version of 1Password 3 and transfer your data into 1Password 3 for Mac using Wi-Fi Sync and then save your database to Dropbox so that 1Password 5 for iOS can read it. But that's a bit elaborate. Please tell me what happens when you unlock 1Password 3 for iOS. :)

• maxd
    maxd
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply, Megan.

I did try to unlock. I just get to my usual password library. No pop up screen with directions for exporting into 5.

I could try through my Mac as you suggested. I downloaded 3.8.22. Is that correct? Problem is that I don't have a valid license. And as I've had a trial version installed earlier, I'm not getting another 30 days.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @maxd,

Thanks so much for confirming that. I wish that had been the solution. ;)

I have heard some users have to go through the process twice in order to make it work (it's a finicky solution that our developers have been fighting with for a while now.) If you're up for trying it again, give it a go. Just in case you prefer the Mac option, I've sent a license for 1Password 3 for Mac to the email address associated with your forum account. That should ensure that you can transfer the data via your Mac if necessary.

Please let me know how this goes!

• maxd
    maxd
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan!

I think I must have tried this twenty times by now, so time to try via the Mac :) I got the license and got it to work. And that's what I had time for today. Will hopefully have time to try the rest of the steps tomorrow. I'll let you know how it went then. Thanks again for your help!

• Thanks @maxd‌! We're looking forward to hearing how it works out.

• maxd
    maxd
    Community Member
    Options

Well isn't that weird. I was finally ready to do the sync via Mac. Even did a full itunes backup in case anything unexpected happened during syncing. When I then opened 1password3 to set up wifi sync, I suddenly got the option to export to the latest 1password. So all good! Thanks a lot for your help! Excellent customer service :)

• Awesome! Thanks for the update @maxd. Glad to hear that worked out.

• csoon
    csoon
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having same problem as maxd. Tried removing and reinstalling 5, still no prompt in version 3.7.2 to migrate data to 5.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @csoon,

Sorry you're having trouble migrating your 1Password data from version 3 to version 5. Are those the only two versions you have installed and which type of iOS device are they on?

If you haven't already tried it, please restart your device and unlock version 3. Does the import prompt like this appear after that?

Even if the prompt doesn't appear, can you still access all your data in version 3? And is there any data in version 5 you need to save?

As a last resort, would you be able to install 1Password 3 on a Mac and get your data transferred through Dropbox like @Megan suggested in post #7? We'll still look for another solution before getting to that point.

Thanks in advance for the additional information!

• csoon
    csoon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, sjk,

I restarted my iPhone 5S and opened v3 again, but did not get that prompt. I can access the data but it won't save to Dropbox due to the API change. There's no data in v5 that I need to save.

• csoon
    csoon
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I turned on wifi sync and the prompt appeared! Problem solved.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's awesome, @csoon! :)

I'm happy you discovered a workaround and hopefully it'll work for other folks, too. Thanks for sharing this!

• trajah
    trajah
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I'm having the same issues as a few above. I have not yet been able to get it working, even after turning on WiFi sync. I have a feeling it's because when I initially installed and it didn't sync properly, I hit "do not ask again" when I kept getting the prompts (this was because it didn't sync and I needed to use the app). Now it just never prompts me again after closing app, rebooting, and so on.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @trajah,

Thanks for explaining your problem and what you've done. Sorry it's still refusing to work, possibly related to previously Do not ask again usage.

If you don't have any data in version 5 that needs to be kept, please let us know if uninstalling and reinstalling only version 5 wakes up the data import prompting in version 3 again. Thanks!

• HowdyNekoChan
    HowdyNekoChan
    Community Member
    Options

I'm trying to upgrade from 1Password Pro 3.7 to version 5 on an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.0. I've followed the instructions on https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/upgrading-from-legacy-versions, and things go well until about step 5. Instead of the screen that asks if I want to import into the new 1Password, I get a screen asking if I want to migrate to 1Password 4.

I have tried deleting and re-installing version 5. I've tried restarting the phone, and I believe I've followed the instructions for updating. I've also tried starting from 1PP 3.7 and following the prompts from there. All roads lead to the "Enter Unlock Code" screen on 3.7, I enter the code, and nothing happens.

What next?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @HowdyNekoChan,

Sorry you're getting stuck with the 1Password 3 to 5 migration. Specifically, are versions 3.7.2 and 5.1 installed on your iPhone?

I get a screen asking if I want to migrate to 1Password 4.

Did you mean 1Password 5?

What happens when you open 1Password 3 separately? If you see the data import prompt after unlocking, are you able to cancel that and still access all your data there?

And could you use a Mac to transfer your data, like mentioned in posts #7 and post #15?

Thanks for the answers to help with troubleshooting and resolving this problem!

• HowdyNekoChan
    HowdyNekoChan
    Community Member
    Options

I have versions 1Password Pro 3.7 and version 5.1 on my phone.

And no, I don't mean iPassword 5, I mean 4 - the message has different wording than the example in the instructions. I tried to upload a screenshot but was unable to.

It doesn't matter if I start from 3.7 or 5, I get an option to migrate to version 4, and after I enter the code on 3.7, i can see all my logins, but there's no option to keep migrating.

I'll try the alternate ways in posts 7 or 15.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @HowdyNekoChan.

The instructions for upgrading from legacy versions of 1Password (3.7.2 to 5) do specifically require version 3.7.2. Version 3.2 will not work.

Before trying what's mentioned in those other posts, here's another alternative that might work for you:

Please let us know how that goes if you do give it a try. Thanks!

• trajah
    trajah
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk, thanks for the response. I'm not sure what you mean by re-installing ONLY v5. I've already un-installed and re-installed v5 a number of times with no luck in getting the prompt to come back up in v3. I don't have any data in v5 so happy to do that, however all my data is in v3, so I can't re-install that if that's what you're asking. Unless I'm guaranteed my data will still be there?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @trajah,

You definitely don't want to remove 1Password 3 along with your data in it unless you have a restorable backup of that data. That's what I meant by only reinstalling 1Password 5, if there's no data in it to be lost.

Do you have a Mac or PC you can use to help get your data transferred from v3 to v5?

• trajah
    trajah
    Community Member
    Options

I have a Mac. I have already done the re-install of v5 with no success. Please let me know what other options there are...

• Hi @trajah,

In that case, you need to follow @sjk's instruction in post #24 here; you'll need to back up your data in 1Password 3, put it on the Mac, reinstall 1Password 3, restore from backup, and then try again with the migration. That should work.

• trajah
    trajah
    Community Member
    Options

thanks a lot, this has worked a treat!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On Mike's behalf, you're welcome. It's a treat to hear that worked for you, @trajah! :)

This discussion has been closed.