1Password and TouchID [A few settings can be changed to improve this]

Options
Wolfram Strohschein
Wolfram Strohschein
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

I was really happy when i heard of the use of touch id because it would make the use much easier. Now I updatet my iPhone 5s to IOS8 and saw that, from time to time I still have to enter the master pasword. Is there a possibility to set it up that I allways can enter with the touch id?

Comments

• donebylee
    donebylee
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

I have done all the steps listed and 1Password never asks for a Touch ID when I first open it. It will prompt me for a Touch ID when I have let it auto-lock (I have it set for 2 minutes).

All help welcome.

Never mind, found what I was looking for: its simple: 1Password doesn't work the way we want it to. Oh well.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donebylee‌

I'm glad to hear you found what you were looking for ... but I'm sorry that you didn't get the answer that you wanted. I'd be happy to help clarify things for you if you have any further questions: what exactly were you hoping that 1Password could do that it is not doing?

• oethrunnen
    oethrunnen
    Community Member
    Options

Same for me, initially it worked, but now I have to type my pwd everytime

• oethrunnen
    oethrunnen
    Community Member
    Options

Found it, it's the 'ask after' option in the security settings

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Some people are finding settings aren't sticking, if you check you'll probably find TouchID has been turned off from within 1Password. I haven't seen much in a way of a solution that definitely sorts this out though. You may end up wanting to try the semi-drastic solution of ensuring your vault is safely stored elsewhere then try removing the app and installing it again from scratch.

As for the question of can you switch to just TouchID, no master password the answer is no. Don't forget, it isn't your fingerprint that is unlocking the vault, merely TouchID allows access to the temporarily stored master password which is then used to unlock your vault. If you could set it to use just TouchID there is the distinct possibility of forgetting your master password and being permanently locked out of your vault. I believe you can set the timer pretty high though, just make sure you don't forget that very, very important password.

• Ricki
    Ricki
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. My expecation is/was that when opening 1Password, it would prompt me for my Touch ID. This only happens once already opened. If I open it later again I am prompted for my master PW and not for the Touch ID as I would expect.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Have you set 1P5 in Settings > Advanced to use the iOS keychain? In Settings > Security what is the period of time you've set after which the master password will be required?

Stephen

• Hi guys,

Just to let you know that this will be significantly improved in the upcoming 1Password 5.1 for iOS update. We've simplified and improve the options in Security settings to make it easier to use in that version. TouchID and PIN will also be more consistent as we've found a few edge cases that can set it back to the master password.

In the meantime, a few setting changes you can make to improve TouchID's consistency in 1Password.

1. In 1Password's Settings > Security, set the Request Master Password timer to something longer than TouchID, I'd suggest 24 hours or longer
    2. If you have Use iOS keychain disabled in the Settings > Advanced, the Safari extension can't use TouchID or extension. Enable this to allow the extension to use this and it'll improve the TouchID by a large scale. Without the iOS keychain, 1Password will automatically request for the master password each time the app is pushed out of the memory by iOS.
  • Hi @Ricki and @donebylee‌,

I've merged your posts into this thread, please read my post above.

This discussion has been closed.