1Password 4 available anywhere? [Resolved - upgrade to 1Password 5 for iOS]

Options
PeterHornby
PeterHornby
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

It's a long story. My iPhone 5s (iOS 7) is running 1Password 3.7.2 (basically because my old iPod Touch was running this release). I synchronize with my Mac (running 10.9) via Dropbox. Some time ago, the vault on my iPhone lost synchronization with the vault on my Mac. I'm a little wary of the Merge Vault approach, especially since the software is recommending against it.

So, I took the possibly unwise decision to address this by removing 1Password and re-loading it from iTunes. So I have a vanilla installation of 1Password 3.7.2, and I'm trying to load the vault from my Mac.

Problem 1 : I can't login to Dropbox. I read that Dropbox has updated its API, and 1Password 3.7.2 can't talk to it.

Problem 2 : I can't sync via Wifi because my Mac is running 1Password 4, and Wifu sync from this version requires 1Password for iOS 4.

Problem 3 : I look for 1Password in the AppStore, but there's only 1Password 5, which requires iOS 8.

I have been around long enough to be very scared of version 1 of anything (although, it would seem, not long enough to avoid stupid decisions in trying to correct problems).

If I have to, I will install iOS 8 and 1Password 5. But I'd rather install 1Password 4. Is there any way I can do that?

Many thanks,

Pete

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Pete ( @PeterHornby‌ )

Thanks so much for providing such a detailed description of your situation! I sincerely apologize for the trouble here.

Unfortunately, 1Password 5 for iOS was released as an update to 1Password 4 for iOS, so there is no longer a version of 1Password 4 for iOS available in the App Store. So we can't do exactly what you're hoping. But I do have an option for you here:

Use 1Password 3 for Mac as an intermediary to keep 1Password 3 for iOS synced with 1Password 4 for Mac.

It's a few extra steps, but it will help you avoid the 'version 1' problems. :)

Please let me know what you think of this solution!

• PeterHornby
    PeterHornby
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply, Megan,

That's an interesting approach. Are there any issues to be aware of in running the two versions of 1Password for Mac in parallel on the same system?

Pete

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Pete ( @PeterHornby‌ ),

The two apps should co-exist together just fine.

I'm assuming, of course that you will continue to use 1Password 4 and all its awesome new features for your daily use, and only open 1Password 3 for Mac when you need to do a fresh sync. If at any time 1Password 3 prompts you to install browser extensions, just ignore it. ;) The browser extensions for version 3 are not compatible with version 4, so they'll just get in your way. Other than that, you should be good to go!

• PeterHornby
    PeterHornby
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Megan, that's reassuring. I will probably give this a shot over the weekend. It's only a temporary measure until I summon up the courage to migrate to iOS 8 (and I may do that anyway).

I appreciate your help.

Pete

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hope whichever path you choose goes smoothly for you! Of course, if it doesn't, you know where to find us. Have a great weekend!

• PeterHornby
    PeterHornby
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,

I ended up installing iOS 8, as the easiest way forward. I'm now happily up on 1Password 5, and all seems to be OK.

Thanks,

Pete

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting me know that you've gotten things working! I'm glad to hear that all is well.

Since this issue is nicely sorted out now, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.