1password 5 Doesn't open PDF attachments in app

Options
alexkovachevic
alexkovachevic
Community Member

Hello There,

I just purchased the pro version to be able to open pdf attachments in-app. The attachment in question is a password protected PDF containing some table that I need to login into my bank.

At first, I thought it was a fail because it can't open password protected PDFs, so I removed the password on my MacOS, and put it as filename2.pdf (appended it, rather then removing it), still not showing up in app (the name is there, the content isn't). Then I proceeded to add a a4 pdf generated by some software to test, as the third document in that login entry, still a no-go. Still no content.

I'm using Dropbox to sync with my computer.

Please advise,
Alex

Comments

• Hi @alexkovachevic‌

I just tested this on 1Password for iOS 5.0.1 and was able to open a PDF attachment that I had previously attached to a secure note. So I made a new PDF using Preview and attached it to a login item, and that too opened fine.

Do you by chance have the 'hide extension' option enabled when saving these PDFs? I wonder if perhaps that is causing some trouble. Also: are all other changes syncing okay?

Please let me know.

Ben

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Alex ( @alexkovachevic‌ ),

Thanks so much for your support of 1Password! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble viewing pdf attachments on 1Password 5 for iOS. I've done some testing here, and PDFs seem to be viewable just fine on my device ... so I'm going to need your help in tracking this issue down.

• Are you attaching the PDF to the same entry each time?
    • Could you please let me know the version numbers of both 1Password and your operating systems for all computers and devices currently running 1Password?

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to track this bug down!

• alexkovachevic
    alexkovachevic
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't receive any email notifications.

Hello - I've had no problems syncing other items. The files attached are 2 of the same kind (a bank login) and one which is a "status report" generated by a web app, that I had around for testing. Nothing is showing up in the pdf window.

I submitted an email inquiry with my iOS details, but I had no answer to that either. I am willing to provide screenshots in a non-public way (via email)

I will test the "hide extension" feature now (both off and on)

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Alex ( @alexkovachevic‌ ),

You can change your forum notifications here.

Since you've already opened up an email thread, let's keep the conversation going directly there. I think we'll need a bit more information to get this sorted out, and this information is best gathered via email. I've added the details from our forum conversation to the email so it will be easier for our support team to get up to speed on the issue.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email(s) before you hit "Send":

[#ZAQ-24143-398]

This will link your diagnostics to the existing email in our system. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

• kepleronline
    kepleronline
    Community Member
    Options

I am facing the same or a similar issue and I think it's not a matter of the sync process but of the viewer of the iOS app:

I am using 1Password version 5.1 (501070) with iOS 8.0.2 (12A405) and 1Password 5.0.1 (501000) on my Mac with iOS Yosemite 10.10. Sync via WIFI seems to work, but the viewer of PDF files seems to fail. To show the issue I have created a new bank account on my Mac. I have created three attachments with Adobe Photoshop (geheim-pdf.pdf + geheim-jpg.jpg + geheim-png.png) and have attached them to this new account. I can see them and open them on my desktop. Sync via WIFI has created the new account on my iPhone immediately. As you can see in IMG_1 all three attachments are registered with the bank account. For the PDF-file and the JPG-file the little icons on the left of the attachment's name even show the content of the file. When I tap on the PNG-file or the JPG-file the viewer works just fine as you can see in IMG_2. When I tap on the PDF-file the viewer fails (IMG_3).

• Hello @alexkovachevic, thanks for taking the time to write in. @kepleronline‌, thanks for the followup. We currently have a bug open with Apple that certain PDFs cannot be viewed on iOS. This problem is affecting other apps like Dropbox as well. As of now there is no workaround that we know of, short of saving these PDFs in an alternative format like PNG or JPEG.

This discussion has been closed.