No pin code option available in security section.

Options
randall7000
randall7000
Community Member

settings/security... This is what I see: Lock Now, Change Master Password, Request After "", Lock on Exit, Touch ID, Clipboard.
But NO option to enable pin code. (?)
Any suggestions?

Comments

• randall7000
    randall7000
    Community Member
    Options

Am I the only one with this issue?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Um, I think you must be talking about 1P5 for iOS rather than 1P4 for Mac. If you confirm that's the case I, or someone else, will move your post to the 1P for iOS forum. (This is the 1P for Mac forum.)

Stephen

• randall7000
    randall7000
    Community Member
    Options

I am referring to 1PW5.1 for iOS. Thank you for responding! ~Randall

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@randall7000‌ I've moved the thread to the 1P for iOS forum.

Stephen

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I just read another post complaining that you can't use a PIN code in version 5 unless you also have a passcode set for your device. I don't know what the menus look like when there is no passcode set for the deviCe, but I thought I'd mention it, in case in might help here.

(I don't think the requirement to have a passcode on the device in order to use a less secure PIN code for 1Password is a bad idea, since security is the name of the game.)

• jebr
    jebr
    Community Member
    Options

I have this problem too - I have a iPhone 5s so have enabled Touch ID - but even if I disable Touch ID there is no PIN option in the security settings???

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, I now see that you are correct on the iPhone. You do have the option to set a PIN on an iPad, but I assume that is because Touch ID isn't an option there. Touch ID is a replacement for the PIN as a secondary way to access the data. You still must use the master password at least occasionally as the primary protection. Since Touch ID is a replacement for the PIN for the secondary access, I don't find it very surprising that the PIN isn't shown on a device where Touch ID is enabled.

• jebr
    jebr
    Community Member
    Options

Well it should give you the option, like I said I disabled Touch ID but still no PIN?

• randall7000
    randall7000
    Community Member
    Options

On my iPhone 5s under Settings/Security with the Touch ID option turned off, it clearly states: "Touch ID allows... Alternately you can use a PIN code to quickly access your data." But again, there is NO option available (that I can see) to activate a PIN code which by the way, was available on the previous version of 1PW with previous iOS. :p

• wehurlbert
    wehurlbert
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem; even though there are references to using a PIN on the 1Password 5.0.1 security page, and in the documentation, I get no option to enable it on my iPhone 5s running iOS 8 and 1Password 5.0.1. I'm having trouble getting this point across to Support ...

-Wayne

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @randall7000‌

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! Looks like you've found a bit of a bug there. As you have discovered, there is no way to enable a PIN code for devices that have TouchID enabled. I've passed this along to our developers, and we'll get that message fixed up just as soon as possible!

ref: OPI-1753

• jebr
    jebr
    Community Member
    Options

But if for some reason I disabled touch ID on the phone (because if I run with my phone and my hand sweats so the fingerprint does not work) I might want to use the PIN, can't this be a user option rather than being disabled?

• wehurlbert
    wehurlbert
    Community Member
    Options

Exactly. I prefer to us a PIN for 1Password even though I use Touch ID for the phone itself.

• Hi folks,

We understand the concern. Touch ID is more secure than a PIN, but our developers have been made aware of the desire to have this option.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.