Setting up Touch ID on iPhone 6 [See set-up and FAQ links in post #14]

Options
2»

Comments

• atl4141
    atl4141
    Community Member
    Options

Users are being prompted for master password even thought Use TouchID is enabled. Following instructions to toggle Use TouchID and Use iOS Keychain works temporarily but then behavior reverts.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate Touch ID may not be working as some users expect but it is working exactly as some of us expect (with possibly the exception of the Safari extension requiring the master password instead of the Touch ID, which I suspect is an extension problem). That does mean that some people are managing to do the right thing setting it up. :) (Or perhaps some of us have slightly different settings somewhere that make it work.)

Stephen

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@atl4141‌ I have merged your new post into the existing discussion of the identical topic to keep all relevant posts together.

Stephen

• johnzonie
    johnzonie
    Community Member
    Options

I would have thought that, when set to accept TouchID, 1PW would always open via the fingerprint. However, when waking the phone, I don't get the TouchID prompt until after I enter my master password, open 1PW, then close it. From that point, if the phone is still awake, I get the TouchID prompt. Is this the intended operation? If so, I request an option in the Security page to always open 1PW via TouchID.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

You can set pretty much any interval you want, up to 30 days, between times you must enter your master password. Those options are in the security setting. Also, make sure you have set the option in the Advanced section to Use iOS keychain. If that option isn't also elected, each time iOS shuts down 1Password while it is idle to recover memory for other functions, you will need to enter your master password again.

There is no option to always use Touch ID, although 30 days is close. This is because if you never use your master password, you run the risk of forgetting it. If that happens, no one will be able to help you regain access to your data. For to reason, I try to make sure I enter my master password at least once a day.

• johnzonie
    johnzonie
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I misunderstood the TouchID thing. I have no fear of forgetting my master password so I will set it to 30 days. As I understand it now, if I don't access 1PW for say 20 days and then do, the TouchID will open it. 11 days later, I will need to re-enter the master password, whether I have unlocked it with TouchID or not, correct?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @usc308,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble with TouchID. Since you've also posted about an issue with Wi-Fi sync, I think the most efficient way to get this all sorted out is to take a closer look at your system. I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

—iOS—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Thanks for the suggestion on additional timing options, folks.

In any case, I can't get 1Password to stick with the Touch ID settings.

Please try toggling the option to use the iOS keychain off then back on.

Thanks!

Ben

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @johnzonie,

The 'Request after' timeout applies to non-use, the same as the timeout on your iOS device. It will reset when you unlock 1Password.

So, if you do not use 1Password for 30 days, you will be prompted for your Master Password when you next open it. But, as long as you use 1Password every 20 days or so (as you suggest), that timer will reset and you can continue to use TouchID to unlock the app.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

• bobk
    bobk
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan - Yes, it does appear to be working correctly, at least in stand-alone mode. I was not aware that 'Lock Now' reverts to the highest security setting.

One problem I've noticed with the Safari extension is that when I drag the 1P icon in the 'share sheet' over to the left-most position (so I don't have to scroll to find it every time), it fails to stay in that position. When I exit Safari and return to it, the icon has moved back over to the right. This happens both on my iPad 2 and iPhone 5s.

• The18thLetter
    The18thLetter
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

(I posted about the Touch ID issue in another thread but didn't get a response that worked so I'm posting again here...)

I've set up Touch ID to unlock 1Password on my iPhone 5s. Despite having set up 1Password to request my Master Password after 30 day, after a day or so, I'm forced to enter my master password again. Why does this keep happening?

Here are my settings:

1. Request Master Password after 30 days
    2. Touch ID on
    3. Request Fingerprint after 1 minute
    4. Lock on Exit
    5. Clear Clipboard after 60 seconds
    6. Use iOS Keychain is on
    7. I'm running 5.0.1.

Please help. What am I missing to get the Touch ID settings to stick?

Thanks.

• The18thLetter
    The18thLetter
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options
    This discussion has been merged.
  • Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @atl4141‌

I apologize for the frustration here! We've noticed that some users are finding the existing security settings a bit confusing, and our team is already working to simplify the options to ensure that everyone can get TouchID behaving as they expect, with much less effort! As @Stephen_C says, many users have been able to get TouchID configured correctly after looking through the TouchID FAQ.

If you could provide a bit more detail on what you are seeing and how you currently have your security settings set up, we'd be more than happy to help you get things straightened out!

Hi @bobk,

I'm glad to hear that things appear to be working correctly for you now! The issue you mention with the app extension not staying where you put it is a known issue. We suspect this is an iOS issue and not something that we can do much about, but our developers are investigating.

I apologize for the inconvenience here - I'd love to have 1Password front and centre in my 'action list' too!

• Hi folks,

I've merged a few of the threads on this topic together. We understand this issue is frustrating and we're doing our best to help everyone get the best information available about getting Touch ID working with 1Password. Please do not intentionally create multiple threads on the issue. It causes a duplication of efforts on our end, which slows down answers for everyone.

Thanks!

• The18thLetter
    The18thLetter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bwoodruff,

I appreciate the need to merge topics and posts. However, the answers outlined in the Touch ID FAQ (which is currently not loading) haven't resolved my issue. What other steps can I take to try and get this resolved?

• @The18thLetter‌

Please try disabling 'use iOS keychain' and re-enabling it under Advanced in Settings.

Thanks.

• The18thLetter
    The18thLetter
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff‌

I tried disabling and re-enabling "Use iOS Keychain" to no avail. Attempting to access 1Password on my iPhone 5s resulted in me having to enter my Master Password again, despite having set "Request After" for the Master Password to 30 days.

What's next?

And thanks again of your help.

• I'm sorry to hear that has not helped @The18thLetter‌. At this point the best course of action would be to send in a diagnostics report for our technical gurus to take a look at.

Please create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• The18thLetter
    The18thLetter
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff‌

Email submitted. Thanks again.

• @The18thLetter‌

I wasn't able to find any emails from the address you have registered here on the forums. Did you email from a different address? If so can you please PM me here with that address?

Thanks.

• The18thLetter
    The18thLetter
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff‌ PM sent.

• Perfect. Thanks.

ref: ISR-13412-484

This discussion has been closed.