Setting up Touch ID on iPhone 6 [See set-up and FAQ links in post #14]

Options
gmarshen
gmarshen
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

Touch ID does not work when you log on to 1 Password initially, you have to enter you password to access. Once open and the timeout is exceeded the touch id works. Anyone having the same issue?

Comments

• bobk
    bobk
    Community Member
    Options

I've set up Touch ID for 1P correctly, as described in the Manual: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/touch-id

And I've also checked this article in the 1P for iOS Knowledgebase: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/1password-asks-for-master-password-instead-of-touch-id

But when I lock 1P, it still prompts me for the master password. Touch ID is simply not working with 1P, though it's working fine with the iPhone lock screen.

iPhone 5s
    iOS 8
    1P 5 full version, updated from v.4 directly from the App Store (not via iTunes)

Please advise.

Thanks,

-Bob

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Have a look at this thread. Perhaps post #11 in that thread may help you.

Stephen

• bobk
    bobk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Stephen, but both of those settings are already correct on my phone.

• Flex
    Flex
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Same for me. I activated iCloud keychain and rebooted my phone, but after a few times, 1Password reverts to asking me for my master password.

Edit: iPhone 5s.

• bobk
    bobk
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Flex: Since you apparently got Touch ID to work with 1P for iOS, your case is different - please post in one of the threads where this has been reported.
    FWIW, it would probably be more helpful to the devs if these cases were kept separate.

In my case, Touch ID did not revert; it didn't work in the first place. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see this exact issue described in other threads prior to starting this one.

• bobk
    bobk
    Community Member
    Options

Update: On waking the phone from sleep for the first time today, 1P just prompted me for Touch ID (and it worked). However, when I then manually locked 1P and re-launched, it failed to ask for Touch ID and instead prompted for the Master Password.

By the way, my 1P Security settings are:

Request After: 30 days
    Request Fingerprint After: 30 Minutes
    Lock on Exit: Off

• woever
    woever
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem with iPhone 5s.

• eimeria
    eimeria
    Community Member
    Options

Seeing the same problem on my 6.

• Martin Maier
    Martin Maier
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, Im switching Touch ID on in the app settings, but the app still just wants my master password to unlock. iPhone 5S

• j!e!t!s!
    j!e!t!s!
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem on my iPhone 6; sometimes it asks me for my finger print and sometimes it asks for my master password. Not sure whether this is related, but when I switch off Touch ID in the 1Password app, the caption below it says "...with your Unknown iPhone (iPhone 7,2)" at the end of the first sentence.

• seasub
    seasub
    Community Member
    Options

I was having the same problem with my iPhone 6+. I had switched on Touch ID but the app was still prompting for my master password.

I found that if I also turned on "Lock on Exit", then touch ID would be sufficient to unlock the app.

What is strange, though, is that if you select "Lock Now" from the security menu with touch ID enabled it still requires you to enter your master password and does not use the touch ID sensor. Similarly, if you leave 1password open for longer than the time specified in the touch id settings, you will be prompted to use your fingerprint again. If you hit cancel then the app will fall back to the master password method and continue to use this even if you exit the app (put it in background) to do something else and then re-open the app.

I think it would be better once the user enables touch ID to use it to unlock in all cases and only fall back to the master password when the print is not recognized.

• shyalter
    shyalter
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue on an iPhone 6 + iOS8. Seems like the feature (which I love) was not thought through, or possibly buggy. It works for a period of time after initial entry of master password, even after locking the phone. It'll prompt me yet again after unspecified amount of time has passed.

• kustjag
    kustjag
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue described above with an iPhone 6. I hope this can be solved quick as it is very inconvenient.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

This is the way it's supposed to work. Touch ID is a back up means for accessing your data, not the primary one. The data are still protected by the master password, and you will need to enter it periodically. You can set the interval between prompts for the master password to as long as 30 days in the settings, but you can't ever completely turn off the need to use it.

Be careful if you use a really long interval between the times when you enter your master password. If you don't enter it reasonably often, you run the risk of forgetting it. If that ever happens, no one can help you regain access to your stored data. Personally, I make sure I have to enter my master password every 24 hours.

• j!e!t!s!
    j!e!t!s!
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification, hawkmoth - it seems to be working!

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

Hawkmoth, I know that's how it's suppose to work, but for me it's just not consistent.

If I set it to 30 days, and I wait even and hour, it still asks me for my master password. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't

-Kevin

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@netnothing‌ - do you have the setting in the Advanced section on to "Use iOS keychain" to On? If you don't set that, when iOS shuts down 1Password to reclaim memory it needs for another purpose, you will then again have to enter the master password.

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I do have that setting to use iOS keychain on.

I'm going to have to test to see if I can figure out when it occurs.

BTW, regardless of what timeout you set (for example I have it set to 30 days) if the phone restarts, 1password will always ask for the master password correct?

-kevin

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi Bob ( @bobk ),

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with TouchID. Unfortunately, you're not the first person to report this, so it would be wonderful if we could get a bit more information from you in order to try and track this down and re-create this behaviour.

Thanks so much for including your security settings - that's a great start!

I'd love to get a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • What are you using to keep things in sync?
    • Just to confirm, you do have 'Use iOS keychain' enabled in Settings > Advanced
    • Are you seeing the behaviour in the main app, the app extension, or both?

Your assistance here is much appreciated. :)

• bobk
    bobk
    Community Member
    Options

Mac Pro: Mac OS 10.9.5, 1P 4.4.1
    iPhone 5s and iPad 2, 32GB, Wi-Fi only: iOS 8, 1P 5.01

Sync: Dropbox

Use iOS Keychain is enabled - and that setting is in 'Advanced', not in 'Security'

Both main app and extension exhibit this behaviour

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi everyone,

For instructions on how to set up TouchID, please see our User Guide. We've also got a handy FAQ that should answer most of your questions.

Please note that, as @hawkmoth says, it is important that you have "Use iOS keychain" enabled in order to get a consistent experience out of this.

Hi Kevin ( @netnothing ),

Please do let us know if there is any reliable way to reproduce the issue. If the iPhone restarts you are correct: 1Password will ask for the Master Password. We are noticing a few cases where the lock settings are not properly respected in the app extension, but the main app should be behaving properly. :)

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Megan,

Thanks for the clarification and that makes sense. I think that's what I was seeing.....having the reenter the password after the device restarts.

I think overall the settings are really confusing. The key for me was....if you want to use TouchID, you have to change the Request After option to something longer than a few minutes. This confused me because it's in a different section of the settings, not in the TouchID block.

Also, any chance to get some more option to that setting? Going from 48 hours to 30 days seems like a lot. How about adding 5, 10, 15 days?

Also, can you point me to any docs that talk about the security of storing the Master Password in the iOS keychain? How (in)secure is this? If someone gets my device, is it easier to access it?

NEVERMIND think I found it: https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/ios-pin-code-design

-Kevin

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

Also....seems to be bad design to allow users to turn off the Lock on Exit option with TouchID doesn't it?

If you set Require After to 30 days, and Lock on Exit to off.....then once you unlock 1P with your fingerprint....doesn't it stay unlocked for 30 days?

-Kevin

• Scott Smith
    Scott Smith
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue where the Master Password is set to request after 30 days, but I've had to type it in every day since getting my phone. I was really excited to never have to type that stupid password again. It's a bummer that my fingerprint can't be the only means of accessing the app.

• roadfuntx
    roadfuntx
    Community Member
    Options

I've read the info referenced here but like others still feel like I'm being asked to re-enter my password multiple times each day. I'll try to figure out a pattern.

• ucs308
    ucs308
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I am using an iPhone 5S. And touchID has completely stopped working. Each and every time now I try and access the app I have to type my (very very long and complicated) master password. I have the request master password set to 30 days, I am using the iOS keychain setting in advanced, and I have requested the app to use touchId. It simply does not work.

1. Can you please put back the quick pin code as an option even for people with touchId.
    2. Can somebody explain what I might be missing.

Thank-you.

• rockosmodurnlife
    rockosmodurnlife
    Community Member
    Options

Agree w/ netnothing. 48 hours to 30 days is a big leap. Can we get "one week" for an option?

• The18thLetter
    The18thLetter
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issues here as well: I have Master Password set to request after 30 days, Touch ID on and to request fingerprint after 1 minute, and to lock on exit. Under Advanced, use iOS Keychain is enabled. Things were inconsistent with version 5.0. When 5.0.1 came, I downloaded immediately and everything worked until this evening. Now, I get intermittent requests to enter my very long Master Password, instead of it happening after 30 days. I sync with DropBox, at least until iCloud Drive arrives in 10.10. (Maybe I'll still stick with DropBox.)

In any case, I can't get 1Password to stick with the Touch ID settings.

Am I missing something?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bobk,

Thanks for getting back to me with those details. I think I may have missed a key part of one of your earlier posts, so I apologize! You said:

However, when I then manually locked 1P and re-launched, it failed to ask for Touch ID and instead prompted for the Master Password.

When you manually lock 1Password, it locks down to the highest security setting, which is your Master Password. So what you are describing here is actually correct behaviour. :) If you simply close 1Password without locking it after use - are your Master Password settings properly respected?

• atl4141
    atl4141
    Community Member
    Options

TouchID is not working as user expects. Several threads with same issue are being opened every hour. The response that users are doing something wrong is frustrating.

This discussion has been closed.