How to best share master password for estate planning

Options
jeffismyname
jeffismyname
Community Member

I'm trying to do a thorough job of leaving helpful documentation behind for my sister, who would be executor of my estate in the event of my passing if my wife is not around then. I can give her a piece of paper with my master password, along with instructions for logging onto any of my devices. I don't want to share all of my vault with her (until I'm gone), so I'm not inclined to set up a shared vault with her (as I have done with my wife). One [unlikely] scenario that could arise, I suppose, is the house burns down, along with all of my 1password devices. Best solution I can think of so far (and can't tell if there are flaws in the idea]) is to have a hard copy of all passwords in a secure, off-site location that she can access.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Comments

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

If you sync your 1pw devices with Dropbox or keep your keychain on Dropbox, then all your sister would need is your Dropbox pw and instructions on how to utilize that with 1pw in the case where your devices were not available. You could either give this info to her ahead of time or give it to an estate attorney or some other trusted person to be given to her in case of need.

In our case, we use Dropbox and have given a very trusted individual who would be involved in our estate administration a a USB thumb drive with a PDF that contains our 1pw passwords, instructions and some additional info. The PDF is encrypted with a password they selected. As a backup, we've also have given the encrypted PDF (but not the password to it) to an additional individual our primary person knows how to reach. Our biggest concern was not our trusted individual misusing the information, but rather them misplacing the thumb drive or it being stolen and someone else being able to access it; hence, the encryption of the PDF.

The issue for us with a paper copy in a secure location such as a safe deposit box is keeping it up to date and unfettered quick access.

Just some thoughts on what we have done in a similar situation. Happy to have it improved upon...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options
This discussion has been closed.