Duplicated database

Options
masterzone
masterzone
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

Hello, I'm Alex, i bought 1 password4 for OsX and 1password4 for Ios (upgraded to 5 some days ago)
I just noticed right now that for technical reason the Maverick icloud is not compatible with CloudDrive on Ios8.
Now my problem that I have two Iphone with 1password5 with perfect sync and the Macpro with 1password4 and this is the result!
I assume that now I have the mac with one database and Ios with one database....

Question:
To avoid to lost everything, Is it a good idea if I hit "delete database" on my 1password on the Macpro? so I can wait the 1password5 and Yosemite os to start again the sync on mac in next future...

ps: I think that the biggest file is the IOS db because I have more records on it, and on the mac pro I have few records...
thanks guys!

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

@masterzone‌ You're correct, syncing 1Password via iCloud only works between copies of 1Password 5 on iOS devices at the moment. That will change once Yosemite and 1Password 5 OS X are released.

What should work (I believe) is you can leave your iOS devices syncing via iCloud and then WiFi sync one iOS device and your mac. That would be one easy(ish) way to keep your mac current until Yosemite and 1Password 5 OS X are available. If there is a massive disparity between your devices and you're worried at all you could wipe the vault on the MacPro machine before syncing, as long as you're confident that it doesn't contain any passwords not on your iOS devices.

• masterzone
    masterzone
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Little,
    Right now if the Macpro doesn't sync its not important, I'm terrified to hit "delete from icloud" from my Mac, I need to know if the icloud DB will be deleted without affects the CloudDrive database on my Ios8 devices ..:-/

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Here's where it's best to wait for somebody with more experience with iCloud.

Saying that, I do believe your iOS devices won't be impacted for a couple reasons.

1. Your iOS device are using iCloud Drive while anything deleted by your mac would in the older iCloud.
    2. Even if you deleted the files on iCloud Drive, the local vault on your iOS devices shouldn't be affected as all that's missing is the sync repository, not the locally stored vault. In this instance all you would probably need to do is stop iCloud syncing, and then start it up again.

I fully understand waiting for somebody from AgileBits though, just for that extra boost of confidence.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Alex ( @masterzone ),

Thanks for writing in with such a detailed description of your issue. Those screenshots help a lot.

@littlebobbytables‌ is correct here: iCloud sync has completely changed under the hood in iOS 8. As such, 1Password 5 now uses the new and improved iCloud - it should work as it did before, while being more reliable, faster and awesome. Most of the time this transition will happen automatically, and you shouldn't have to do anything special at all.

There are some consequences, however, especially if you are using 1Password on older iOS or Mac versions. You can check out our iCloud FAQ to learn more:

http://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/cloudkit-faq

Now, about that extra data in iCloud. I spoke with one of our technical gurus about this, and it's likely the result of switching over to iCloud Drive on your iOS devices. If you synced 1Password with iCloud in iOS 7, 1Password would have stored a copy of your data in the Documents and Data section of iCloud. Then, when you switch over to iCloud Drive in iOS 8, 1Password created a fresh stash of your data. So the easiest thing to do here to simply to disable sync on all devices, then delete both of these files. When you re-set sync on your iOS devices, 1Password will generate a new copy of your data to store here. Here are some more detailed steps for resetting sync safely:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 5 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and tap 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. You should see one 1Password file in the iCloud Documents and Data section now.

And, just to add a bit of reassurance here: in 1Password 4 for Mac (and 1Password 4 for iOS), your data is always stored locally on your device in addition to being stored in the sync location, so if your database is up to date, you will not lose any data by deleting the sync files.

If you'd like to test out Wi-Fi or Dropbox sync while we wait not-so-patiently for Yosemite, please let us know, we'd be happy to help with that as well.

And thanks so much for choosing to support 1Password! :)

• masterzone
    masterzone
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for your support end sorry for my later replay. I'll try your tips as soon as possible.
    alex

• Ben
    Options

Please let us know how it turns out. :)

This discussion has been closed.