Secondary vault doesn't sync properly over dropbox

Options
aktive0
aktive0
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Mac

I use 1password with a secondary vault stored on dropbox to keep shared passwords with a colleague. Any new passwords either of us create in the secondary vault do not sync properly and are not accessible by the other person despite the sync status saying that it was synced recently.

We've been using this for quite a while and some passwords that were in place when we first set this up are shared properly, but as I said, any new passwords either of us create are not accessible by the other.

We love 1password; thats why we're so surprised this core feature doesn't work. Any help in debugging this and getting it to work is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

So what we're dealing with is a secondary vault that has gotten really out of sync then, with new entries on both local copies by the sounds of it.

Here's what I'd suggest.

Either ensure both of you have an up-to-date backups (1Password : Preferences... : Backup tab) or as an alternative both of you create a temporary secondary vault and copy everything from the problematic secondary vault to the temporary one - you can do that by selecting all the entries listed in the All Items view of the secondary vault, right clicking and navigating the Share sub-menu.

Now, knowing you have a everything stored in either a backup duplicated in a temporary vault you can try the following.

1. Both of you disable syncing with Dropbox
    2. Delete the corrupted vault in Dropbox
    3. One of you starts syncing the secondary vault again, creating a new in the process
    4. The other establishes syncing too. At this point I'd expect 1Password to say something about merging vaults etc. I'd say that's exactly what you want to do.

Hopefully after both machines have done a round of syncing both machines will be back in sync, hopefully with no adverse after-effects. If something goes horribly wrong you know you have the backup you can revert to or the temporary vault.

If you go down the route of the temporary secondary vault, you can jump between the two easily and visually compare as a sanity check - that won't be doable if you need to revert to a previous backup. If you do use the vault suggestion all you have to do afterwards is delete the temporary vault once you're happy everything is good and it's now redundant.

Good luck!

• aktive0
    aktive0
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thanks for those steps! I'll give it a shot and report back what happens later, Cheers :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Please do keep us posted, @aktive0‌.

If you are still having trouble, I would be interested if Dropbox is correctly syncing non-Dropbox files between you and your colleague. If you put a document or image in that Dropbox folder, does it show up on both of your Macs?

• aktive0
    aktive0
    Community Member
    Options

@Khad, We have had no other issues at all with dropbox sync'ing between us. I will let you know, thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That is a good sign. The above steps should get things going again, but let us know if they don't. We're happy to dig deeper. :)

• aktive0
    aktive0
    Community Member
    Options

ok, we followed those steps, and looks like we're in business thanks for those steps!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great, @aktive0!

On behalf of @littlebobbytables‌ and @khad, you're most welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.