How to get automatic wi-fi sync to work? [Upcoming 1Password updates for desktop are required]

Options
somainer
somainer
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

According to the 1Password for iOS v5 online manual: "Your devices will sync automatically over Wi-Fi whenever they re-join the same network (for instance, after returning home from the office)." per link

However, no such auto-sycing is occurring for me...

I can sync between my iPhone and Mac over wi-fi as in previous versions using the unnecessarily long 5-step process on the iPhome
1) tap settings
2) tap sync
3) tap primary sync
4) tap sync using wi-fi
5) tap the name of my Mac
6) tap sync now

BUT what do I have to do to configure the automatic sync?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

I was under the impression that automatic WiFi sync was in the works but hadn't been released yet, I'm also noting it seems to be strongly suggesting that we'll be able to sync multiple vaults over WiFi - news to me. I think both of us will be very interested to see an AgileBits member weigh in here :)

• Hi @somainer,

Sorry for the confusion! 1Password 5 for iOS does support automatic Wi-Fi syncing, but 1Password for Mac doesn't at the moment. We're currently working to add the functionality to Mac, but for now you will need to open the Wi-Fi sync window on Mac for syncing to occur.

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP‌
    Thanks for the prompt reply!

but can you clarify further? if iOS supports auto-syncing (to a Mac via wi-fi), BUT the mac does not (in the other direction), then how is this considered auto-syncing?

Are you saying that changes I make in the iOS version will automatically get transferred to the Mac version (even if sync window is closed on the Mac)? But that to sync from the Mac to the iOS version I have to keep the Mac windoe open? As far as I can tell, i have to initiate a manual sync.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

The key here, I think, is that until Yosemite comes out, along with the new version of 1Password for OS X, automatic wifi syncing won't work. But it will when the entire ecosystem has been brought into alignment. Yosemite is coming next month, sometime...

• MikeT
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

@somainer,

but can you clarify further? if iOS supports auto-syncing (to a Mac via wi-fi), BUT the mac does not (in the other direction), then how is this considered auto-syncing?

Sorry, that's our mistake. We didn't know when Apple was planning to release Yosemite and our guides were created with the assumption that iOS 8 and Yosemite updates would be released at the same time. I'll get the docs team to remove that line ASAP.

The short answer is 1Password 5 for iOS speaks both versions of the Wi-Fi sync, the previous semi-automatic with no attachment Wi-Fi sync version and the automatic Wi-Fi sync version that includes support for both attachments and multiple vaults (which will be supported in the upcoming 1Password update for Yosemite only).

What's going on is that 1Password 5 for iOS has the code to make it possible to support automatic Wi-Fi sync with attachments but it need updates to both 1Password for Mac and Windows to support this.

The 1Password update for Yosemite, which is free, will be using the automatic Wi-Fi sync with attachment support, this means it'd work with 1Password 5 for iOS.

Right now in 1Password 5 for iOS, if it detects an earlier version of 1Password for Mac or Windows, switches to the previous Wi-Fi sync where you have to keep the Wi-Fi sync window open on the Mac/Windows side and tap on the Wi-Fi sync in the iOS app to push the updates in both direction.

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT thanks for the clarification!

Now the iOS manual makes sense... and is a foreshadowing of awesome features to come. But given it is misleading, please do have the docs team fix the error - an alternative to deleting it would be to add a clairifer that the feature requires 1Password for Mac v5.0 or above (or whatever it will be). Such a tweak might also save you support inquiries down the line, as it might cause some folks (like me) check their versions BEFORE posting to this forum.

• MikeT
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @somainer,

Thanks so much, I'll add your idea to the request already in the system. We have a lot of things happening at the same time, so there will be continuous improvements all over the place.

ref: DOCS-280

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, even though Yosemite and 1Password5 for Mac has been released, I still am having problems with automatic syncing between iOS and Mac versions - and even with manual sync! For example, if in the iOS version of 1Password I notice that an automatic sync has not occured, and then goto Settings/Sync, and tap on Sync Now, the label "Sync Now" will blink but not sync will take place UNTIL after I uncheck "Use Wi-Fi to sync this Mac with iOS devices" and then re-check it - after which a sync will occur.

Help!

• Ben
    Options

Interesting. I have not heard any other reports of that problem. Is anyone else having this same issue?

• cantchooseaname8
    cantchooseaname8
    Community Member
    Options

I just starting using 1Password and have a quick question about the automatic wifi sync. All of my devices (Mac, iphone, and ipad) are set to sync over wifi. However, any changes only sync when I open the app. For example, any changes made on my Mac won't show up on my iPhone until I open the app on my phone. Is it supposed to work this way or should everything sync even without requiring the app to be opened?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cantchooseaname8,

That's correct - you'll need to have the 1Password app open on Mac and iOS in order for Wi-Fi sync to work. Hopefully that clears up the confusion! :)

This discussion has been closed.