OSX 10.9.4
1Password 4.4.1

iPad 2:
iOS 7.1.2
1Password 4.5.3

iPhone 5s:
iOS 8.0
1Password 5.0.1

All devices are syncing through iCloud, which has NOT been upgraded to iCloud Drive.

The issue is, changes made on the Mac are synced to the iPad, but not the iPhone.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Hi @jwarthman,

Our new iCloud sync in 1Password 5 is not backwards compatible with 1Password 4, sorry. Please see here for details:

iCloud in 1Password 5 FAQ

If you need to sync with 1Password for Mac or 1Password 4 for iOS, we recommend using Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync. Sorry for the trouble!

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• jwarthman
    jwarthman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Jasper! It's a bit disconcerting to update to the latest version on one device, and have that device "break" the sync feature that has worked so well.

It's simple enough for her to upgrade to 1Password 5 on the iPad. When will 1Password 5 for Mac be available in the Agilebits store?

Thanks!

• Our update for Mac will be available some time after OS X Yosemite is released (Yosemite is required for the new iCloud sync, which uses CloudKit). Stay tuned. :)

• jwarthman
    jwarthman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again, Jasper!

When you say that Yosemite is required for the new iCloud sync, it makes me wonder if this also requires iCloud Drive.

Also, I think 1Password for Mac is available in the Apple App Store. So would that version also require Yosemite to sync via iCloud with 1Password 5 on iOS?

Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're correct in your thinking there jwarthman, to be able to make use of the new version of iCloud you need the OSes and the applications to all be iCloud Drive, CloudKit enabled/aware. That means iOS 8 with 1Password 5 iOS and on the desktop it'll be Yosemite with the yet to be released 1Password 5 OS X (I'm guessing that's what AgileBits will title it - keep it in line with the iOS versioning). So upgrading to Yosemite when it comes out won't be enough, you'll need the update from AgileBits when it comes out.

They've said the update will be free so it'll be merely a case of waiting for its release.

• jwarthman
    jwarthman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, littlebobbytables. I agree that iOS 8 and Yosemite are required for iCloud Drive.

What I'm still wanting confirmation for is whether we can use "standard" iCloud with iOS 8 and Mavericks, to run 1Password 4 and 5.

Many people were complaining that Apple's release schedule caused the current situation where, if you upgrade to iCloud Drive on iOS, you effectively break the iCloud connection from your mobile devices to your Mac, unless you're running a beta copy of Yosemite.

Honestly, I'm concerned that agilebits have done something similar, where the latest iOS version won't interoperate over iCloud with the latest Mac version. If that's really true (confirmation, please, agilebits) that fact should have been made very, very clear! Maybe agilebits could put up a warning on 1Password 5 if it's set to sync via iCloud, alerting the user to switch to Dropbox if they are also syncing with a Mac running 1Password 4.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jwarthman,

What I'm still wanting confirmation for is whether we can use "standard" iCloud with iOS 8 and Mavericks, to run 1Password 4 and 5.

Unfortunately, because we designed 1Password 5 for iOS with Apple's new 'CloudKit' technology, iCloud sync in version 5 works with the "new" iCloud of iOS 8 (and Yosemite), but not the "old" iCloud used in Mavericks and iOS 7. If you have not upgraded to iCloud Drive on your iOS 8 devices and have not upgraded from 1Password 4 for iOS to 1Password 5 for iOS, 1Password 4 for iOS can continue to sync with the "old" iCloud with 1Password 4 for Mac.

Many people were complaining that Apple's release schedule caused the current situation where, if you upgrade to iCloud Drive on iOS, you effectively break the iCloud connection from your mobile devices to your Mac, unless you're running a beta copy of Yosemite.

This is an issue that is facing many developers (not just 1Password) who have decided to implement the new CloudKit technology offered by Apple.

If you have upgraded to 1Password 5 for iOS, we recommend switching to Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync until Yosemite is released.

I apologize for any inconvenience. Please do let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. :)

• jwarthman
    jwarthman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, and thank you!

I confirmed that I have the same issue as my friend. Updates I make on 1Password 4 on the Mac are not synced with my mobile devices running 1Password 5. And changes I make on my iPhone are synced to my iPad, but not to the Mac.

You mention that 1Password 5... works with the "new" iCloud... but not the "old" iCloud. The strange thing is, I have not switched to iCloud Drive on my mobile devices specifically because I don't have Yosemite, and yet I received no warnings or alerts that I can recall from 1Password.

I will switch to Dropbox syncing for now. But it's unfortunate that 1Password 5 doesn't alert the user who is using iCloud sync to switch to Dropbox on all devices if any devices (including Macs) are still using 1 Password 4.

And I'm still surprised that 1Password 5 even CAN use the "new" iCloud, when I have not turned on iCloud Drive.

Thanks,

Jim

• Ben
    Options

Jim,

Unfortunately the whole situation is a bit confusing. CloudKit, not iCloud Drive, is the new technology that 1Password 5 is taking advantage of. They are separate but related technologies, and neither is available on Mac until Yosemite hits. So, even if you have not enabled iCloud Drive, 1Password 5 can still only talk to iCloud via CloudKit, which Macs don't have yet.

• pos
    pos
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

As I write in my post "Sync error after iOS 8" I think this was a wrong decision to drop the old way before all OS:es (IOS, Mac OS) are updated. You should have continued with the old way. People enabling cloud drive in IOS do get info that it will break things. but then it's an active user decision.

My wife has problems as well as me. All my friends have also had problems. I love your product. But this decision will not get 10/10 points as the rest :)

/Peo

• Ben
    Options

@pos‌

Thanks. :) I replied to your other thread.

This discussion has been closed.