Sync error after iOS 8

Options
pos
pos
Community Member
edited October 2014 in iOS

Hi

The sync stopped working in my iphone after IOS8. The My Macbook as 294 items in 1Password whereas I have 248 entries in my iphone when looking at the sync page. I sync through iCloud and all settings is as before the iOS update and seems ok (1Password activated in "Documents & Data" and a lot of space left in iCloud. I have however not purchased iCloud drive that came with ios8.

iCloud works in both devices...
IOS, Mac OS X and iPassword are all updated.

Anyone with a clue?

Thanks in advance

/Peo

Comments

• Hi @pos,

Our new iCloud sync in 1Password 5 is not compatible with Mac at the moment, sorry. Please see here for details:

iCloud in 1Password 5 FAQ

We recommend using Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync temporarily. Sorry for the trouble!

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• pos
    pos
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Ok... How is that possible? Other apps works over iCloud even though I have not Yousemite on the Mac yet and with IOS 8 on the iPhone? So is this a development choice of AgileBits? Or do you blame Apple for it? From a customer perspective these kind of problems that you cannot to 100% fully predict is not what a customer want.

Regards
    Per-Olov

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Per-Olov ( @pos ),

We certainly don't want to blame Apple here, so I'll do my best to explain the situation for you. When Apple announced their new 'CloudKit' technology, we chose to adopt it, as it was reported to give users a smoother and more reliable syncing experience with iCloud. At that time, we did not know that iOS 8 and Yosemite would be released at different times. Unfortunately, because we chose to build 1Password 5 for iOS's sync around the 'new' iCloud, it is no longer compatible with the iCloud sync that exists in Mavericks and 1Password 4 for Mac.

So, if you have upgraded to iOS 8 and 1Password 5 for iOS, you will need to choose an alternative sync method until Yosemite and 1Password's OS X 10.10 update is released.

Again, we do apologize for any trouble this has caused. We're here if you have any further concerns. :)

• pos
    pos
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Thanks. That makes it much clearer.

But if I new that, I would not have updated to IOS 8 before Yousemite was released.

Of course my next question is why you did not implement the new "CloudKit" method in addition to the old one. It is very rare that something is released totally in sync. And if it is, you put a lot of pressure to the customer to update several different systems (phones, PCs etc) at once. I think you should have continued to use the old method and in a 1Password update much later added this new method. Or... added the new method as extra options instead of a total switch to the new method.

Not much to do about it, except...... you could send out a quick update to the 1Password IOS app with an option to choose the old iCloud method which I actually think you should do to save your customers head ace. Because I think you have made the wrong development decision here. There must be MANY persons out there with problems right now.

Thanks

Per-Olov

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @pos. I'm not sure of the feasibility of that from an engineering perspective, but I'll certainly continue to pass the message up the chain.

• pos
    pos
    Community Member
    Options

I hope you can do that. Because there are m a n y people out there that have to create drop box accounts, install yousemite beta or simply wait several weeks and directly install yousemite when released. Could have been handled a little better... But you are forgiven as your product is very good :)

But act quickly and release an update that fixes this (two iCloud sync options [old way | new way] ) would rate you even higher :) Also note that there could be people that CANNOT install Yousemite when it arrives because of other things that could break. Me for example have software that forces me to wait a little bit before updating to yousemite. But that will cause my 1Password to be out of sync for an even loger timeframe. I have to choose from several bad choices...

/Peo

• Ben
    Options

@‌pos

For anyone not planning on upgrading to Yosemite right away, I'd recommend giving Dropbox sync a try.

• pos
    pos
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

If you do not release a 1Password update for IOS so you support both the old and new way to handle iCloud which solves everything :) This is what we all wait for and should have been done from the beginning.

You cannot upgrade right a way to Yousemite if you do not want a beta. Still weeks away even if you go for an immediate upgrade.

The most annoying thing here is that it just stopped working without a notice during a normal upgrade/update. This is not an optimal release handling of 1Password from a user/customer perspective. If you have added additional support for the new iCloudkit in an update to be enabled by the user in a controlled way when all systems have support for it. Then I would have been satisfied with the release handling.

I vote for a quick fix a s a p. This is a payed product that we have bought for every device. This is not freeware. To be honest... I really expect you to fix it.

Regards
    Per-Olov

• Ben
    Options

@pos‌

I understand your perspective, but assuming such a thing is actually possible, by the time it gets into the dev cycle, they get the fix written, and Apple approves it, Yosemite will be out. This is why I say for folks not planning on upgrading to Yosemite immediately I'd suggest looking into Dropbox.

I'll still ask our dev team about your idea to see if it is something we can do.

Thanks.

Ben

• pos
    pos
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Drop work on new features and put effort in rollback the support for this. A working product is better than new features that is nice to have. If someone in your chain have made the wrong decision, it should be fixed. Right?

/Peo

• pos
    pos
    Community Member
    Options

And...

The purpose of having a development agreement with a vendor like Microsoft and Apple is to be able to in advance develop and release products that will just work for customers without a problem when updates of the operating systems are released. To assume that new relases of different operating systems are released at the same date and can be updated simultaneusly by a customer is simply wrong thinking.

/Peo

• Ben
    Options

@pos‌

I just spoke with one of our technical gurus. The answer here is that iOS 8 will not talk to iCloud using the old method. We can't include both iCloud sync options in 1Password 5, because the old method only works on older iOS versions.

CloudKit only works on iOS 8, but not on Mavericks (Yosemite required).

This is why, no matter what, iOS 8 breaks iCloud sync for 1Password between iOS and Mac. Re-adding the old iCloud sync method won't fix anything (iOS 8 still won't talk to iCloud using it). This is why if you had kept 1Password 4 on your iOS device after updating to iOS 8 iCloud sync wouldn't have worked there either.

My understanding from this conversation is that we didn't make a "wrong decision," we made the only decision that was possible, other than dropping iCloud support entirely.

I realize this doesn't resolve the issue for you but hopefully that helps in understanding our position.

My recommendation would continue to be to switch to Dropbox if you need to sync more than just iOS 8 devices.

• pos
    pos
    Community Member
    Options

That is interesting... If so, we should mention that you are right. You did not do anything wrong in this.

If I understand you correctly, Apple have disabled the old method completley if you use IOS 8. Apple should read this thread......

What is the best way to do switch to a wifi sync and don't loose any records on the phone or the Mac (i.e make them sync both ways correctly without wiping anything) ?

/Peo

• Ben
    Options

@pos‌

I have to apologize. Some of my last post was incorrect. It appears this transition is so confusing even some of our gurus are confused. :( I have to put some, but not all, of that on Apple. Part of the problem is they are using the term 'iCloud' in a lot of different and not necessarily related ways. You can see a little more about what I mean here:

Unfortunately I feel a lot of the problem is it has not been incredibly clear the implications of the transition Apple is taking iCloud through will have on individual apps.

I do apologize for the frustration this transition is causing, and we do take ownership of our portion of the blame.

As for switching sync solutions, simply turning off iCloud sync in 1Password and turning on WiFi sync should do the trick. Please note that WiFi sync does not currently sync attachments.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.