Digital ID stored and deployable from inside 1Password

Options
Hawkwind
Hawkwind
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

I created a Digital ID (AKA personal digital certificate) from inside Adobe Reader as a digital signature for my PDF's. (it's free) I might replace that Digital ID with a paid one.

There doesn't seem to be an way to store it inside 1Password (I'm using 4 for Mac) that allows for ease of using the Digital ID.

Reviewing the categories in 1Password to hold the Digital ID, I 1st tried Identities, but there is no password or attachments for the Private Key Certificate file (P12 file). So I use the Logins and didn't username or Website fields, but used password field (pw is required to use the Digital ID) and the the attachment field to hold the P12 file as well as notes for description and will add instructions as a reminder on how to use it.

Awkward to use it though. At a high-level:

1. I have to save the attachment from inside that Logins item to a folder on the computer

2. Tell the application (Adobe Reader in this case) where the P12 file is and which file to use

3. Copy the password from inside that Logins item

4. Paste the password inside Acrobat Reader to be able to use the digital signature.

Is there a better way to save and use it for the 1Password 4 for Mac? What about 1Password 5, any difference for this purpose?

If not, take this as a Request For Enhancement: Also for the mobile version. (I have iOS devices) I would like to see 1Password communicate with the application (or web browser) needing a Digital Signature or Digital Certificate/ID/etc, and provide a secure way to apply that Digital Signature without having to save the P12 file to the file system and not have to use copy and paste for the password. Otherwise, I see no way to use this for a mobile app when most don't allow use of it's file system to hold the P12 file. Also even on a PC, if that PC is not mine, there's no way I'm going to copy my P12 file to a computer not completely under my control and more importantly, not going to copy it to a computer that someone else has access to it's file system and therefore that P12 file!

I feel that the need for Digital Signatures will be more prevalent as users, companies, universities, etc, rely more on digital communication for forms and other documents that have typically required a hard copy with a handwritten signature.

BTW, Why is Identities called that when it's really just encrypted contacts list or an address book. When I see Identities in a security product I'm thinking Identity Management such as a Logins type requirement with or without an actual login - ie: above, other secure things like disk encryption, secure devices, etc that typically just need a password and other info stored and not a user name or website etc.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Hawkwind,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write in with such a detailed description of your situation. It sounds to me like 'Identities' still might be a viable location for this information. All of 1Password's categories come with handy 'custom' sections, so you can add as many extra fields as you like. These fields can be typed as a 'password' so that your key can be concealed if you prefer.

Another alternative that has been suggested by one of my colleagues is the Passwords category. Both Identities and Passwords support attachments.

Unfortunately, at this time we don't have a more direct solution for attachment handling, but I can certainly mention to our developers that you would find something like this useful.

Also for the mobile version. (I have iOS devices) I would like to see 1Password communicate with the application (or web browser) needing a Digital Signature or Digital Certificate/ID/etc, and provide a secure way to apply that Digital Signature without having to save the P12 file to the file system and not have to use copy and paste for the password.

Although Apple has added some great flexibility with app extensions in iOS 8, what you're suggesting would still require that the app in question enabled 1Password support. Until an app grants 1Password access, in this case by enabling the extension, 1Password has no way to fill, or do anything, inside another app. As far as the web browser goes, have you seen the new 1Password App Extension.

BTW, Why is Identities called that when it's really just encrypted contacts list or an address book.

Thanks for your feedback here! The Identities category was designed as a bit of an address book. One of the things that we all need to fill in frequently on websites is addresses. Think of online ordering and shipping forms. For many of us, there may be several different addresses that we may need to fill in here: a business address, a home address ... For myself, my legal last name is hyphenated. I have a 'legal' identity for forms that require my full name, and a 'general' identity for less serious day-to-day stuff that uses only my (married) last name. Perhaps the 'Identity' title is subject to interpretation here as you're not the first one to comment on it, and I'd be happy to pass your thoughts along to our developers.

This discussion has been closed.