1Password 4.3.2 won't launch on ios 8: black screen only

Options
davidn
davidn
Community Member

I upgraded the iPad to iOS 8.0.1 then 8.0.2, and whenever I tap the 1PW 4.3.2 icon I get nothing but a black screen. Thank goodness I have my 1PW data on my Mac and iPhone, and left the iPhone on iOS 7.
I searched here but didn't find this issue for others so maybe it's a unique glitch, but in 8.0.1, I rebooted and reset the iPad, then with 8.0.2 it got completely reset and restored from a backup, but the issue persists. iPad is not jailbroken or anything, stock device treated normally, light use and protected well. Only one other app does the same and it's developer has said they will fix the issue.
My experience going from 1PW 3 to 4 was traumatic, so I'm treading lightly going from 4 to 5.
Is anyone else running into this issue? have I lost data? is there a fix in the works? should I be able to run 4.3.2 on iOS 8.x?
Thanks!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @davidn,

Unfortunately, as you've noticed, 1Password 4 for iOS doesn't work so well in iOS 8. I strongly recommend upgrading to 1Password 5 for iOS. It's a free update, and, unlike the update from version 3 to version 4, which included an entirely new codebase, 1Password 5 for iOS builds on the code written for 1Password 4 for iOS, so there are very few changes that you'll likely even notice. Except of course for the awesome additions of TouchID and the app extension, 1Password still looks pretty much the same. :)

• davidn
    davidn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, thanks for the quick reply and 'sales pitch'.
    I know it's a free update.
    I know v 4.3.2 'doesn't work so well in iOS 8', I wrote asking for help in using 4.3.2, not a 'forced' upgrade to 5.
    I use an iPhone 5 I'm perfectly happy with, don't want or need TouchID and am disturbed that Agile appears from the user guide and FAQ to force users with TouchID hardware to USE TouchID, even if they would rather type a password.
    Yes, 1PW5 looks better on features, but I made a huge mistake by blindly upgrading from 3 to 4, so am being much more cautious with 5. I'll probably wait a few more weeks for the glitches to work out.
    Finally, you haven't answered the most important questions of my post, regarding data loss and capability of using 4.3.2 on iOS 8. Now that I can't downgrade the iPad to iOS 7, I can't use 1PW on the iPad apparently. And I paid for this software! I am going to be really really mad if you tell me that ABits are not going to fix this and I should be a good little kiddie and do what I'm told and upgrade to the fabulous new 1PW5.

• Hi @davidn‌,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with 1Password 4 for iOS on iOS 8. Were you for sure running 1Password 4.3.2, which was our final build for iOS 6, or were you running 4.5.3, the final build for iOS 7?

If it was 4.3.2, then that would most certainly break catastrophically on iOS 8, as it would have been built with iOS 6 API's that no longer exist in iOS 8. 4.5.3 should run, but would have a few issues. It really is best to use 1Password 5 here, as it is built with the iOS 8 SDK, and 1Password 4 is not.

Before we continue any further, I'd love to have confirmation on the above. Also, since you mentioned you have 1Password on your iPhone and Mac, your data is indeed safe there. May I ask which sync service you are using? iCloud, Dropbox, or Wi-Fi sync?

If you let me know all of the above there, I can help get you sorted out. I'll be honest with you — when running iOS 8 you need to be running the version that is built for it. Running an older version of an app (any app) on an OS it is not built for will have problems.

I look forward to hearing back from you and helping you get all set up. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I believe there is a bug where if your device is TouchID compatible 1Password 5 won't offer the option of a PIN and they're looking into it. Saying that though, you aren't forced to use TouchID and by default it won't be turned on (so you'd be expected to use your master password).

With how iTunes work I can't see how AgileBits could even release a 'fix' for 4.3.2, not having now released 5. 1Password 5 was released as an update - not a new app, designed to not just offer compatibility with iOS 8 (the fix I believe you're after) but with extra iOS 8 only functionality thrown in. To the best of my knowledge though iTunes doesn't allow concurrent branches. Supposedly it will offer you the last version that worked with a particular version of iOS e.g. it should download 1Password 4.5.3. if you attempt to install it on a device running iOS 7 but that's your limit. The problem you're facing though, it's the case each time there's a new version of iOS. It was the same with iOS 7 - massive number of updates to lots of apps because the previous versions wouldn't work with the newer OS. Some did nothing more than stability updates, some made use of the new features present at the same time.

There are plenty of problems with iOS 8 in general at the moment. No doubt painful but there's been at least one report of a user with multiple unresponsive apps finding that restoring a backup didn't help - they had to treat the device as a fresh device and manually download and configure the entire device. It worked for them - no guarantees it'll make any difference to your situation though.

Lastly, a word of warning. 1Password 5 for iOS can only synchronise with other 1Password 5 instances if you sync using iCloud. Apple are doing away with the old one, and introducing iCloud Drive, CloudKit etc. but it limits you to other iOS 8 devices until Yosemite is released. Dropbox and WiFi sync are still fine.

• @littlebobbytables‌

With how iTunes work I can't see how AgileBits could even release a 'fix' for 4.3.2, not having now released 5. 1Password 5 was released as an update - not a new app, designed to not just offer compatibility with iOS 8 (the fix I believe you're after) but with extra iOS 8 only functionality thrown in. To the best of my knowledge though iTunes doesn't allow concurrent branches.

This is correct. 4.5.x was an update to 4.3.2. 5.x is an update to 4.5.3. We cannot go back band ship a branch update to an older version in the App Store.

Lastly, a word of warning. 1Password 5 for iOS can only synchronise with other 1Password 5 instances if you sync using iCloud. Apple are doing away with the old one, and introducing iCloud Drive, CloudKit etc. but it limits you to other iOS 8 devices until Yosemite is released. Dropbox and WiFi sync are still fine.

Good to have the warning there. I should have posted it upfront for any other readers on the thread. I planned to go into this after confirming which sync @davidn is using, if he happens to be using iCloud sync.

• davidn
    davidn
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi and thanks chrisdj;
    Yes I'm using 4.3.2. I stopped updating 1PW almost a year ago after the flawed change from 3 to 4. I've spent nearly all that time gradually migrating, manually, over 1,000 entries in 1PW. Made a final push recently of about 10 hours and am satisfied I have the most important data on the Mac in 1PW 4.4.1.
    Using Dropbox sync, and just discovered (as you can note in another post) that I can quickly get data off the iPhone and into a separate Vault in 1PW4. So that one is not sync'd, I just moved it off the iphone with good old fashioned cable and iTunes and Finder and I keep it there in its static version as archival reference.
    LBT's warning initially makes it sound like IF I do upgrade 1PW to 5 on ipad and iphone, I won't be able to use Dropbox any more for syncing, but then the last sentence contradicts this. And Chris confirms the contradiction. What? Now I'm getting really worried about my data!
    Wouldn't you think it would be nice to email your users of 4.3.2 that they NEED to upgrade to 4.5.3 if they plan to keep using 1PW? I didn't get any notification, and I upgraded one device to iOS 8 after waiting a week for things to settle and find that arguably my most valuable and important app is dead and the data perhaps not retrievable.
    [the rest continues rant-ish; read at your own risk!]
    Since the horror of last year's change, I've stopped syncing 1PW on anything but the Mac (that's more backup really not sync..) since it looked like my only good copy of the pre-4 data was stuck on the iPhone. LBT and Megan made some good efforts to help me there.
    You AB folks make some good products and you highlight new features quite well but you're really not good at warning your users, of paid software, about potentially 'catastrophic' results. Not your personal fault of course, chris, but that's pathetic for a company going to v5 of a product with as smart people as you have on the team.
    Your comment "Running an older version of an app (any app) on an OS it is not built for will have problems." is really sad. It illustrates my paragraph above. ABits is just not communicating with its users. I'd suggest, especially since 1PW is such an important app in people's lives (it's not a grocery list or a game), with such important information, you set up a page with step-by-step upgrade instructions and warnings for users of all versions of the product. Email your users about this (I'd be happy to sign up for a notification list!). Be proactive, people pay for your product and that leads to expectations. A free product is different. This lack of communication and the condescending attitude and assumption that 'everyone' is upgrading immediately to the latest everything is so sad. Sometimes users don't want or have need of certain features, like the latest craze for TouchID. I'm perfectly happy w/o TouchID and using a nice iPhone 5. Sorry about this rant but I just see it over and over and over with many different folks at AgileBits. Many other software developers are able to find a way to support older versions of their software that go back more than 6 months. Please become one of those.
    Finally, all but one of my older apps works fine with iOS 8. It's not a categorical slam dunk that you need all the latest apps with iOS 8. 1PW is one of only two that don't work on my device.
    It's really really sad that AB can't communicate mission-critical changes like this and makes such grand assumptions about its users. No need to spend any more time replying to this thread. I'll upgrade to 5 carefully but that's it. I'm looking for another provider of this service or going back to pen and paper.
    [ps your page https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/upgrading-from-legacy-versions states "If you’re using 1Password 4 or newer, you can ignore the rest of this page. Simply upgrade to iOS 8 and update 1Password on the App Store.". Untrue as you've noted above. Please fix this page for the sake of other users].

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

You misunderstood my warning. What I wanted to do was ensure that you were aware of changes with just iCloud. iCloud is changing massively and 1Password 5 makes use of the new system. What has caught everybody out is that Apple released only the iOS version meaning people who upgrade it iCloud Drive or apps that rely on CloudKit can only communicate with other iOS 8 devices if they use iCloud as their sync solution. WiFi sync and Dropbox are still viable but from my observations people tend to stick to a single sync type and many are reluctant to swap. I was trying to avoid the situation of you upgrading and then having to post saying iCloud isn't working. This is what chrisdj was confirming.

If you use Dropbox the whole thing doesn't apply to you.

I'm unsure what you mean in your final remark though, when I read that page I interpret it as any version of 1Password 4 can be upgraded to 1Password 5 after you've made the upgrade to iOS 8. It doesn't make any claims of compatibility of older versions of 1Password 4 with iOS 8, merely that the update process should be as seamless as any other update (you download the new version and everything continues working). What do you mean by untrue here?

• davidn
    davidn
    Community Member
    Options

LBT, thanks for the clarification, I should have pointed out early in the thread that I have always only sync'd thru Dropbox, and have no current interest in syncing thru iCloud unless is has distinct advantages and ABits explains in detail how to make the shift, which I don't think they will and if they do it will be incomplete and not thoroughly thought out like much of the current documentation. It sounds pretty dodgy right now.

If you’re using 1Password 4 or newer, you can ignore the rest of this page. Simply upgrade to iOS 8 and update 1Password on the App Store.
    If it was 4.3.2, then that would most certainly break catastrophically on iOS 8

It's not true that you can Simply upgrade... if something catastrophic can happen with your data. I did indeed lose my entire agilekeychain from the iPad in the iOS 8 upgrade. Paying users of software should be warned by the developer if the developer knows 'something catastrophic' can happen.
    Agile Bits should know, from the volume of complaints on the Forum, that they are not documenting things right for users. [rant deleted]. One could easily read the quoted sentence as 'ok, upgrade to iOS 8 and when you get a chance update your 1PW on the Mac App Store.' Both of which would be wrong. If a user of 4.3.2 upgrades to iOS 8 and tries to open 1PW, poof! black screen, bam! keychain gone! Ha ha! Oh, well!
    What it should read is more like 'If you’re using 1Password 4 or newer, make sure your agilekeychain is sync'd and backed up, delete 1Password from your iOS device, upgrade to iOS 8, then download 1Password 5 from the App Store app on your iOS device'. That would have more accurately kept users informed and their data safe. The cavalier 'ignore the rest of this page' does users a disservice and puts their data at risk. It's irresponsible to not advise your users of known defects, or 'issues' in PC-speak. Defects are ok, but responsible developers advise people how to safely navigate the defects until they're repaired. IMHO Agile Bits does not yet meet the definition of a responsible developer. 'nuff ranting, got to get back to other things (Admins please close this thread).

• Hi @davidn,

Just to absolutely confirm, does your Mac have all your 1Password data in it? If so, then the best approach may be to wipe the iOS app, install v5, then just sync the data back with either Dropbox (as you use it) or even Wi-Fi sync. If the Mac has a solid copy, you can safely reinstall the iOS app.

I would update the iOS app to v5 solely through the App Store on device, so your v4 receipt can be accessed to unlock v5's Pro features automatically. Installing from iTunes does not seem to include the v4 purchase receipt (that's an iTunes issue).

This discussion has been closed.