1Password mini, what is it doing on localhost

Options
jmbreitigan
jmbreitigan
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Hello, I have been using NetBarrier by Intego on my Mac for years. I recently looked at the section for outgoing & incoming connections and noticed that 1 Password mini is either in the mode of incoming or outgoing data. Could you tell me what 1 Password mini is doing? I took a snapshot of NetBarrier which shows 1 Password mini. Just would like to know what is going on. I turned off "check automatically for updates" but that does not seem to have an affect on what is going on.
Regards, John M Breitigan

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's likely to do with browser extensions. If you use a browser the extension talks to 1Password mini via a socket. There isn't any actual data leaving your machine, it's merely using the same form of communication. It's a technique that some apps use to have different processes communicate with each other.

Basically it's okay, nothing to be worried about.

Now if you don't like the idea you can disable any browser extensions and disable 1Password mini from within 1Password's preferences. It would mean you have to copy and paste login details across and 1Password mini does handle the vault timeouts meaning closing 1Password would require the master password every time you shut it down (that doesn't have to be the case when you use 1Password mini but it can also be set to do this if it's your preference).

Does that clarify it a bit for you?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

It may also be the rich icons. It listens for a connection from the update server for those rich icons. But my guess based upon the description, I agree with @littlebobbytables Some of the firewall apps you have to set a loopback IP to allow the mini and the app to communicate. Seems like NetBarrier doesn't need this.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @jmbreitigan,

We've written up an article that explains all the incoming and outcoming connections we use, you can read it here.

There's a specific section on 1Password mini called 1Password Mini on localhost that explains what 1Password mini is doing. Basically, it is listening to your browser extension and process what you want the extension to do.

This discussion has been closed.