iPhone 6 Plus optimised version? [Yes, updates are coming to support iPhone 6 Plus]

Options
reck
reck
Community Member
edited October 2014 in iOS

Will the next release be optimised for the iPhone 6 Plus? Would love to be able to see more information on the screen and scroll less, everything looks so big atm.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @reck‌

I don't know about the very next release, but it is coming. :)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

OK Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

On behalf of Ben, you're welcome!

We are going to optimize 1Password for iPhone 6 Plus but it might take more than one update since it is a huge change from other iPhones like the landscape mode that's unique to iPhone 6 Plus.

• Kasi Modem
    Kasi Modem
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Sorry for stupid question, but isn't an iPhone 6 Plus optimized landscape version same as an iPad version ?

Thanks ;)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Well Mike I look forward to the release then, even if its not the next one. The Gmail app was updating today to be optimised for the 6 plus and it makes a massive difference using all that screen space. Hopefully I won't have to wait long for 1Password to join the club.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Didn't realise i'd get the next version of the app as soon as I hit the send button, no wonder it won't be in the next version (5.1) maybe the next one :)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Just been reading the release notes and it says this.

"The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are out. Were you one of the lucky millions who got one already? 1Password 5.1 has been updated to give you a beautiful experience on these devices with 3x images and improved rich icons"

Have updated and it does indeed have an optimised interface, no more massive fonts :) So i'm not sure why you said it might take a while for you to get around to this.

• Hi guys,

As reck just mentioned, 1Password 5.1 for iOS is finally out with the support for iPhone 6 and initial support for iPhone 6 Plus. Go check it out at the App Store and let us know how it works out for you.

@Kasi Modem:

isn't an iPhone 6 Plus optimized landscape version same as an iPad version ?

Not always, many developers can choose to reuse the iPad version but it is possible to have two separate interfaces for both devices. It depends on how the interface looks and feels on the iPhone 6 Plus. Sometime it just doesn't work out too well and in our case, we are playing around with different ones to see what fits the best.

@reck:

Have updated and it does indeed have an optimised interface, no more massive fonts :) So i'm not sure why you said it might take a while for you to get around to this.

Turn the iPhone 6 Plus into the landscape mode and you'll see it's not fully supported yet. We're going to optimize 1Password to support landscape mode, it just didn't make it in time for the 5.1 release. That's why I said it may take a few updates to get it right.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT, okay, I give up. What is supported in landscape mode with 5.1? I love the fixes that were added, and they are working so far (UI changes and Touch ID), but I don't see any use of landscape on my iPhone 6 Plus. Did you mean there are use cases or that there weren't any? :) If you meant they weren't any, I call that a lower priority issue, since the case where I (myself) wanted it most was for the MP, and we don't need that so much with a reliable Touch ID.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @leesweet,

I'm glad to hear it is working better now and I apologize if it is confusing regarding to the landscape mode.

but I don't see any use of landscape on my iPhone 6 Plus. Did you mean there are use cases or that there weren't any?

Right now, you can't rotate 1Password into the landscape mode yet on the iPhone 6+ to use it. You'll notice 1Browser doesn't let you rotate it to landscape anymore either.

If you meant they weren't any, I call that a lower priority issue, since the case where I (myself) wanted it most was for the MP, and we don't need that so much with a reliable Touch ID.

That's exactly why we shipped 1Password 5.1 now, the priority were on the TouchID improvements and simplifying the security settings. We didn't wait to finish landscape mode support, we shipped it the moment TouchID were improved and tested.

Now, it's onward to 5.2 with more improvements. :smile:

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT, thanks for the clarification. Hm, I never even noticed 1Browser had worked in landscape! :) I'll definitely let you know how 5.1 works. If this was a permanent fix of Touch ID, we'll be very happy!

• Hi @leesweet,

You're welcome!

Hm, I never even noticed 1Browser had worked in landscape!

Yep, we had a lot of requests to support it in landscape mode like Mobile Safari because it was easier to surf the web in that mode, it fits more data.

I'll definitely let you know how 5.1 works. If this was a permanent fix of Touch ID, we'll be very happy!

Great, thanks! So far, reports are coming in with great news, it is working much better for a lot of people. So, we're on the right track and we're very happy right now.

• Kasi Modem
    Kasi Modem
    Community Member
    Options

Great 5.1 update, thanks a lot :)

• You're welcome! Glad you're liking it so far.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT, I don't know if we want to start a new thread with general comments on the new 5.1 options, but I'll tell you:

I love it on my 6 Plus.

I hate it on my iPad Retina Mini.

On the iPad, having the PIN work 'forever' if it works at all is a definite step backwards. I think you might want to consider having a switch (for us or in software for you) for TouchID vs. non-TouchID devices. One is inherently much more secure than the other and can support 'permanent/semi-permanent shortcut (non MP)' access, and the other shouldn't.

That's my 2 cents after 30 minutes of playing with both versions. Not having the option to use the PIN for a short period of time ONLY as it was before is a definite drawback on a non-TouchID device.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @leesweet,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here. Security and convenience is always a tough balance, as our Chief Eliminator of Obstacles has recently discussed on our blog.

This update to our security features came because many users were confused by the existing options. I'll be happy to pass your feedback along to our developers - security is a journey, not a destination, and we'll continue to work to find the best balance for our users.

This discussion has been closed.