Ability to sync other than icloud/dropbox?

Options
msweisberg
msweisberg
Community Member

Has there been any discussion to be able to sync using cloud services other than icloud or dropbox? I ask because I have migrated fully to onedrive and only use icloud now as a nightly backup for my idevices. I have figured out how to save my vaults within a folder on onedrive and they sync perfectly between computers. Any reason why this couldn't be implemented? There are plenty of apps out there that use onedrive for syncing...two of my favorite are photosync and goodreader.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @msweisberg,

Alternative sync solutions are a popular topic around here, and OneDrive is an often-requested alternative. To quote from one of the sync-related threads.

Syncing is very complex and consumes a lot of resources to develop and support, but we do plan to expand further. We are investigating other services, such as Google Drive and Microsoft SkyDrive, and whether they can be fantastic sync solutions 1Password customers deserve.

The short answer to “Have you considered X as an alternative sync solution” is “Yes” for every value of X that people have asked about. We have considered them, and have had to reject many for various technical reasons.

...to integrate specific services with our mobile apps (such as 1Password for iOS and Android) is more complicated. First, the sync service must provide usable APIs for all the platforms we need to support. Next, each sync service we want to add requires a lot of development and support resources.

I'd be happy to mention to our developers that you're interested in OneDrive support - consider your vote added!

ref: OPI-1232

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mistie748,

Thanks for sharing that here. :)

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, another person whose first and only post advertises the same "backup software". I wonder... ;)

Stephen

This discussion has been closed.