Username seems to be re-submitted after website screen displays

Options
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Community Member

When I use 1P4 (v4.4.2) to log onto a particular site, the web page displays properly. Then my "Username" is filled into that page's "Search" field, a search is implemented. But, since nothing is found, an error msg is generated. It's as if the 1P4 login's "username" is still in focus and is being re-submitted.

I don't know if this is a 1P4 issue, or if the website is micro-managing events. If it is 1P4, changing the focus to a blank field might solve it for me.

There is another Discussion that may be related "Setting the cursor on a text box form with autofill"

Any ideas ?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm surprised, while by default 1Password will auto submit a login form when you've told it to use a particular login entry, I haven't heard of 1Password then continuing on the page returned.

When login items seem to be messed up something always worth trying is creating a fresh entry using their saving a login manually guide.

If you follow those steps does it change the behaviour you're observing? If it doesn't, can you confirm that it doesn't happen if you copy and paste your username and password across from 1Password (so not using the browser extension).

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

LBT, thx for the suggestion.

The o.p. does not happen when I log into the website via Google Search>Sign On, and manually enter my username and password.

But it seems one thing leads to another. The guide to manually saving a login says to click on the "gear", but neither neither the drop-down menu of the "1P mini" nor the "1P app" even have a gear icon and there is no menu item for triggering a fill of the fresh login. (I'm using 1P v 4.4.2 downloaded 10/6... and v4.4.3 fails to extract)

I'll keep messing about with this... maybe it's an issue in the 4.4.2 version

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Do you happen to have secondary vaults at all? If you do the cog icon is replaced by a mini vault icon but clicking on it will yield the same contextual menu which should include a Save new Login option. The cog or vault icon should be directly to the right of the search field right at the top.

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I do have secondary vaults. And I did click on the mini-vault-icon. But there is something very strange about the Mini drop-down menu... the Save new Login menu item is missing ! I have downloaded and installed 1p4.4.3, and it seems to be the same as 1p4.4.2. See the second pic below...

For what it is worth, I have seen, and did a screen shot of the that menu when the "Save New Login" was showing (and was active), but I think that was back in 1p4.4.1. See the first pic below...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Okay, that's very weird but thanks to your screenshots you cleared that up nicely. This might need somebody from AgileBits to interject as I use the MAS version and it isn't doing that.

Only thing I can think of to suggest is, you can see the keyboard command shortcut is ⌘N from your top image. What happens if you bring up the contextual menu in 4.4.2 or 4.4.3 so it looks like the bottom image and try doing ⌘N there? Does it behave like the option is completely removed (so no response at all) or does it bring up the Save new Login window? Not suggesting this is somehow a workable solution, just trying to figure out what's happened.

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

Thx LBT for staying with this issue.

The ⌘N suggestion in 4.4.3 does not bring joy either. I'll keep messing with this... maybe there is some specific sequence of events required to display the "Save new Login" menu item... It seems unlikely such a loss of a menu item would suddenly appear in this latest version.

But my original problem (#1 above) with 1p4 still exists. Manually logging into the Sign In page of the website does not trigger the futile "search" that leads to an error, whereas each of the attempts I have made with manually, newly-created, 1p4 login's does trigger the search, so the issue seems to be 1p4-related.

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

OK, as near as I can tell, my original issue seems to be related to 1p4 using the FireFox extension...

That is, when I use the same 1p4-login via my Safari extension, the sign-on behaves normally, and the "futile" search field is not activated... weird !

Way too much time spent on this... I'll just have to use Safari for this particular website.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @Lamplighter‌. Glad to hear you found a workaround, even if it isn't quite ideal.

This discussion has been closed.