Failed to extract application archive

Options
gardenger
gardenger
Community Member

I just tried to update to version 4.4.3 and keep getting this message "Failed to extract application archive." I did close my browsers and that didn't help. Any suggestions, please? Thank you.

Comments

• Dave Giffney
    Dave Giffney
    Community Member
    Options

getting same problem

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gardenger and Dave Giffney,

I apologize for the trouble here! If you had previously updated to 4.4.2, you'll need to get 4.4.3 fresh from our website. You can download v.4.4.3 from our downloads page. Then simply drag it to the Applications folder and replace the existing version.

This should get you up and running again, but if you have any trouble, we're here to help!

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

As @Megan‌ said, getting the version directly from our download page is the thing to do if you encounter this.

It turns out that unzip called via NSTask will occasionally exit with an "error code" even when the extraction has been successful. So we've had to update the updater to test directly whether the zip file has been unzipped instead of relying on reported exit codes.

• jwlimages
    jwlimages
    Community Member
    Options

The web site says 1Password "requires OS 10.9" - is that correct? I have been running up thru v.4.4.2 on my 10.8.5 system, holding off on Mavericks, but is this the end of the line for 1pw until I upgrade the OS?

• tbostick
    tbostick
    Community Member
    Options

1Password updator launches “Software Update” window but I’m getting the same error as others, “Failed to extract application archive”. In the lower portion of the “Software Update” window I’m in the support forum, and found this thread. But the web page has no navigation buttons and the download link doesn’t work. Maybe better to launch the support url and download links in users standard browser application instead of this window? I’ll try the direct download from Chrome browser.

• tbostick
    tbostick
    Community Member
    Options

Success! After unzip and drag-n-drop to applications folder it appears the 4.4.3 version kept all settings from prior version and is working as expected.

• Hi @jwlimages,

I think the download page on our website is incorrect. The latest version of 1Password 4 requires OS X 10.8.4 or later, so you shouldn't have a problem installing it on your system running OS X 10.8.5.

However, this version (4.4.3) will likely be the last update compatible with OS X 10.8.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• WilliamGallagher
    WilliamGallagher
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate that you've posted an answer here but couldn't you say this on the update splash screen? I've said this often: I adore 1Password but updates are excruciating because of these problems. It is always difficult and while I know I don't comprehend the problems from your side, I don't understand why we have to go searching for answers when you at least have the opportunity to tell us on the update page.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @WilliamGallagher‌

I'm so sorry to hear that updates have been difficult for you! That's no good. I do want to mention though that we did in fact, include a warning in the 4.4.3 update pane:

Did you not see this when you tried to update?

• Agnieszka Rogulski
    Agnieszka Rogulski
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, There was no warning about the update. I am running a mac air OS x 10.9.5 and I am getting the same error. I tried to download directly from the agilebits download page it says it requires OS x 10.10 or later..

Now in Chrome, the 1password icon changes from a key icon to a circle icon and it is not letting me fill in any forms. The error message says "Chrome is connected but its code signature could not be verified."

No idea what to do now?

• Hi Agnieszka,

Sorry for the trouble!

Please download version 4.4.3 from our website and install it manually:

• Open the 1Password main app, and press ⌃⌘Q (Control+Command+Q) to fully quit 1Password and 1Password mini.
    • Download version 4.4.3 from our website, here is a direct link: https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/mac4/1Password-4.4.3.zip
    • Unzip the downloaded file (if it wasn't done automatically), then drag it to the Applications folder and replace the existing version.

To fix the code signature issue with Chrome, please try quitting the Chrome app then re-opening it to start with. Please let me know if that helps.

This discussion has been closed.