Wifi Sync Error

Options
2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Polarpro: If you have a complete copy of your 1Password data on iOS, this will be pretty simple:

1. Make a fresh backup of your 1Password for iOS vault
    2. Add the backup to your backup list in 1Password for Mac (Find Backup)
    3. Restore 1Password for Mac using the backup you added from 1Password for iOS
    4. Reinstall 1Password for iOS
    5. Sync your data over using Wi-Fi

However, if you have some data you need from 1Password on your Mac (insert above after step 2),

1. Export your data from 1Password for Mac (File > Export > 1PIF)
    2. Restore 1Password for Mac from the iOS backup
    3. Import the 1PIF back into 1Password for Mac (File > Import)
    4. Trash the 1PIF
    5. Secure Empty Trash (in the Finder menu -- exported data is unencrypted)

This should do the trick for you. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• Polarpro
    Polarpro
    Community Member
    Options

Hey brenty, Thanks for your help.

I first tried to sync my iPhone with my Mac, and then my iPad with my Mac. But instead of synced records I still have older entries on my Mac and newer ones on my iPad. The import in step 3 seems to replace records, even if the replaced record was the newer one.

In other words: I'm having now a huge mess.

I am giving up now. I've spent hours on this. This here has turned out to be a nightmare. I have more than 380 records on each of my devices, I don't know where the more recent records are, and I don't know if I have replaced some of them with older ones.

Dear 1Password team: The reason why I used 1Password is that I wanted to have a safe place to store sensitive business data. (Sensitive. Business. Data.) 1Password is definitely not the right place for this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

@Polarpro: Hm. I'm not sure where the mess happened, as you should have a backup of both the iOS and Mac vaults. Worst-case scenario, you just restore both and you're no worse off than when you started.

The import in step 3 seems to replace records, even if the replaced record was the newer one.

The export/import process is, again, only necessary for data in 1Password for Mac that you want to keep. If you prefer to keep the iOS data, by all means skip these steps altogether:

However, if you have some data you need from 1Password on your Mac (insert above after step 2),

1. Export your data from 1Password for Mac (File > Export > 1PIF)
    2. Restore 1Password for Mac from the iOS backup
    3. Import the 1PIF back into 1Password for Mac (File > Import)

You depend on 1Password to store your data securely, which it continues to do; however, when we're talking about merging data from multiple sources, we simply don't have any way to know which is more current beyond what you've told us. Please review the steps and apply them as appropriate for your situation. As I said in my previous message,

If you have a complete copy of your 1Password data on iOS, this will be pretty simple:

1. Make a fresh backup of your 1Password for iOS vault
    2. Add the backup to your backup list in 1Password for Mac (Find Backup)
    3. Restore 1Password for Mac using the backup you added from 1Password for iOS
    4. Reinstall 1Password for iOS
    5. Sync your data over using Wi-Fi

That's all you needed to do if you just wanted the iPhone data (which you had indicated was up to date). If you also wanted some or all of your Mac data, you'd need to export and import it, but it sounds like that does not apply in your case. I was merely trying to account for that contingency to avoid leaving you hanging. I'm sorry if that caused some confusion.

We have some more improvements in the current betas for Wi-Fi Sync error handling which will be available from the App Store once beta testing and approval is complete, but we don't have any way of knowing when that might be. :(

• Polarpro
    Polarpro
    Community Member
    Options

Hey brenty,

Thanks for your answer. I had on three different devices data that I needed to keep; and I only needed the most current record. If I see it correctly, there is a field called Date Motified when create a csv export. I think I now take three old backups, put them all in a FileMaker database, try to delete old duplicates, create a csv from the left over records and import the csv into a new vault.

Well. It looks like fields I created myself are not being exported. And attachments? Is there a way to extract the data from the 1PIF file?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I had on three different devices data that I needed to keep; and I only needed the most current record.

@Polarpro: Oh dear. Yes, that certainly does complicate things further. :(

Honestly, if it were my data I would not export to CSV and go through all of that...but not for the reason you might think. While it would certainly be a hassle, my concern would be that a lot of customization/organization would be lost re-importing everything later. Using a 1PIF export maintains all records, so that everything is intact after re-importing.

When exporting to 1PIF, the items are in plaintext in the .1pif file, and attachments are stored in folders based on UUID (all of this is in the export folder, to keep it in one place). So everything is there to allow it to be imported again, just as if nothing has changed. Indeed, modified dates are left intact as well, within each item's details.

So while I'd personally be more inclined to hang in there for an update, you could sort each vault by date modified and export individual items (in the case where some in particular were updated on one device). Again, I don't have any way of knowing just how much of an undertaking this would be, so I imagine the worst-case scenario of dozens of items in varying states of modification across several devices.

It may be simpler than that. But in any case, I can't tell you how sorry I am that we even have to have this conversation.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Polarpro,

I frequently need to check two or more adjacent records when I write a new converter (I test known good data against the data a converter has just generated). The method I use on the Mac is to sort by Title, and rapidly cycle between the up and down arrows, and watch for differences in the screen data. Our eyes are very good at detecting motion or differences, so any change in the data between two records is immediately apparent. You might use this method to go through your records, and delete all but one of the dups. Its a manual process, sure, but much better than trying to export and work with the data, and reimport (you'll spend hours on this).

Once you get a reliable set of data on the Mac, blow away the data on the i-Devices, start fresh, and use the Mac as the master to push the data back.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MrC: Wow. That's a great way of looking at it -- literally! Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.