iCloud sync issue [iCloud sync in 1Password 5 for iOS requires 1Password 5 at MAS update]

Options
cimboc
cimboc
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

On my Mac (10.9.5) I am running 1Password 4.4.3 on my iPhone and iPad I am running 5.1 (both iOS8)
I am not sure for how long but have just realised after a cc was not updated that my mac is not syncing with my iOS devices. the iCloud sync is working fine between devices it's just the Mac that is not syncing.
I have tried to uninstall and re install 1Password on the Mac but I assume it is grabbing the old data and therefore not fixing the issue? Also when I go to system pref>iCloud and click options next to the "documents and data" it says 1Password Mini for sone reason and if I un check the tick it doesn't seem to delete or anything.

Can someone please point me in the right direction as to where I'm going wrong :)

Cheers,
Clint.

Comments

• Edugrebe
    Edugrebe
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue, I have the latest update of the application. Anybody have any idea?

• Edugrebe
    Edugrebe
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

UPDATE!!! This is why...

Note for early adopters (September 17, 2014): In 1Password 5, iCloud sync requires iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). Because Yosemite has not yet been released, it is currently not possible to sync iOS 8 devices with Macs using iCloud.

If you absolutely need to sync with a Mac over iCloud, we recommend waiting for Yosemite to come out before upgrading to iOS 8 and 1Password 5.

If you have already upgraded your iOS device, one option is to simply go without syncing for a few weeks. Leave iCloud enabled on all devices. You can continue using 1Password on your devices as you would normally, and, when you update your Mac, your devices will once again resume syncing automatically.

Alternatively, you can choose to switch to a different sync method (Dropbox or Wi-Fi). We have more information about how to do that at the bottom of this FAQ. Read on—and thanks for being patient with us during this big transition!

• cimboc
    cimboc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Edugrebe!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cimboc‌ and @Edugrebe‌

I'm so glad to hear that you found the answers you were looking for! I do apologize for the trouble. We're all waiting for Apple to release Yosemite so that things can get a lot simpler again. ;)

• oddthrees
    oddthrees
    Community Member
    Options

That's a relief that there's something in the works.

Having said that, as much as I love 1password, please understand that putting users through this sort of 'issue' is a pain and should've been avoided.

You should know that we rely on 1password for just too much. So when something falls out of sync, it leaves us in a sudden dilemma. The trusted system suddenly becomes untrusted and holes appear. When before we could just forget about passwords and dump everything in 1password, suddenly, I'm stuck in places.

I saved a couple of passwords on my Mac with a suggested password I can't remember. Then, when the time came to use them on my iOS devices, I was in a major issue and had to make arrangements literally (I think I wasn't able to pull up my passport details or something when I needed it urgently).

Even now, I had to create this account to post this reply. I realised that I saved it on my Mac 1password but now if I wanted to post or follow up via my iOS devices, I wouldn't have the foggiest what my password was.

I'm surprised you're asking users to wait like this. I'm lucky I came across this forum post. It would've been worse otherwise. Please take all this into consideration in future. I'd rather have a late Yosemite release and trusted stable software than an early release.

• Hi @oddthrees,

Thanks for the feedback! Again, we do apologize for the trouble. I personally use iCloud sync too, so understand the frustration.

When Apple announced their new CloudKit technology, we chose to adopt it, as it should provide a much smoother and more reliable syncing experience with iCloud long term. At that time, we did not know that iOS 8 and Yosemite would be released at different times. Unfortunately, because we chose to build 1Password 5 for iOS's sync around the new iCloud technology (CloudKit), it is no longer compatible with the iCloud sync that exists in Mavericks and 1Password 4 for Mac.

With that said, Dropbox and Wi-Fi work great, so we recommend switching to one of those sync options temporarily. Sorry for the trouble!

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @oddthrees,

Having said that, as much as I love 1password, please understand that putting users through this sort of 'issue' is a pain and should've been avoided.

We do agree and I apologize for what you went through. Unfortunately, this isn't isolated to 1Password and wasn't something we can control completely. Any apps using CloudKit sync (Apple's iCloud API we use to power iCloud Sync) has the same limitation, nobody can use CloudKit on Mac until Yosemite is released.

We definitely could've done more job of communicating this, we did have a prompt on your iOS devices saying that we've migrated the data to the new iCloud Sync that requires both iOS 8 and Yosemite. Sadly, this didn't help and we need to do this differently in the future.

A lot of developers expected Apple to release Yosemite and iOS 8 at the same time in order to help with iCloud Drive and CloudKit migrations. There was not a lot of helpful information on how Apple was going to deal with a radical change to iCloud on both iOS 8 and Yosemite. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way and everybody suffers for no good reasons.

We are expecting Apple to be releasing Yosemite within a few weeks based on the fact that they're on the third GM candidate and there's a media event next week that is rumored to talk about Yosemite's release date.

• jaromad
    jaromad
    Community Member
    Options

I'm currently running Yosemite GM Candidate 3 and 1Password 5 (BETA-2), but I still don't see iCloud as an option to sync to. If I'm correctly understanding what MikeT says above, it seems like I should be able to see/sync to iCloud.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@‌jaromad

The 1Password Mac betas do not include the ability to sync thru iCloud Drive .

ref: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/147501/#Comment_147501

• Hi @jaromad,

As thightower mentioned, the 1Password Mac betas are the website versions, not the Mac App Store version. Apple does not allow beta testing at the Mac App Store.

1Password betas and the website stable versions will not support iCloud sync at all, only the 1Password version at the Mac App Store.

• Carlos A Peralta
    Carlos A Peralta
    Community Member
    Options

So Mike T - when will Agilebits provide direction on replacing the website version with the Mac App Store version?

I've been unable to synch my iPhone and iPad with the Mac; this is something that used to work and was just broken overnight.

Based on other forums - I emailed AgileBits yesterday; but have not heard back.

Again - this used to work and all I want is for it to work again. It's critical for me to have these devices synch and think it's unfair to make us pay for the MAS version when we already paid for the website version - not to mention we had to pay for the iPad and iPhone versions. ...and please don't recommend using WiFi or Dropbox - I just want to be able to synch on iCloud again.

• Hi @Carlos A Peralta‌,

We have provided information in our KB that we're sharing with customers: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/cloudkit-faq

We will not force anybody to pay again, we will try to help you switch over to the MAS version if you need iCloud sync. Unfortunately, this is a manual process, there is no way to automatically give everybody access to the MAS that we have zero control over, we have to do different things to ensure folks who need this can get it without paying or get reimbursed.

We're currently overwhelmed with a lot of emails from both our iOS and OS X releases, so it is taking us a long time to get back to everybody.

For now, make sure you email us your receipt to support+webstoreicloud@agilebits.com and we'll get to you ASAP.

This discussion has been closed.