Need help importing data exported from SafeWallet for Mac

Options
sjk
sjk
1Password Alumni
edited October 2014 in Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from: New User - Trial Download - Import Issues..

Please refer to this topic for additional information and discussion:

MrC's Convert to 1Password Utility

Comments

• Steve_Baker333
    Steve_Baker333
    Community Member
    Options

I have mac safe wallet. It exports to .txt or .xml, nothing else. Were there a tool from 1Password to convert either file format from safe wallet to whatever 1Password needs, I'd buy a copy now. But there isn't. And I've not the time to look for one, after an hour of trying, that works. When will 1Password make a simple, easy to use converter for safewallet xml or csv files to work in 1pw? Why should users be forced to try to find a tool to do this? You'll get customers if YOU create the required tool.

Thanks. Looks like you have a great program, but I can't try it unless there's a tool to convert. I don't have the time to reenter 100 cards.

• Hi @Steve_Baker333,

Last time we look at SafeWallet, it didn't have a CSV export file, only XML or TXT as you said and they're not formatted in the way that we could consistently import into 1Password.

1Password does support the standard CSV format that many apps uses for exporting but it is difficult to support every single app on the market when they all uses different and inconsistent export formats. If we spend the time on supporting all of these formats, we would never have time to work on 1Password.

Have you try opening the text file with a spreadsheet to see if you can export it as a CSV and then use 1Password to import that CSV file?

@MrC, do you have any ideas on what we can do for SafeWallet?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Steve_Baker333,

Similar to what @MIkeT asked, there's this tip at the end of the Comma-separated values section in our newer guide for importing data:

Tip: If your data is tab- or semicolon-delimited, you can open it in a spreadsheet program, like Numbers, and save it in (or export it to) CSV format.

I'm not familiar with SafeWallet, but it might be easier to export subsets of your data (if possible) to modify in a spreadsheet program so it can be exported with the correct CSV format for each item type you'd like to import into 1Password:

For example, start by only exporting data from SafeWallet that you intend to import as 1Password Login items, adjust the field (column) ordering in a spreadsheet, export as CSV, and select Import As: Login type during importing. Then do the same for Credit Card and Software License data. And the remainder would be for Secure Notes.

In other words, splitting up your SplashWallet data into different pieces can make it easier to modify for importing with 1Password.

I hope that helps. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options

I've tried to get the SafeWallet's site, but it appears down, and has been for several days. The last Facebook page post indicates they would resolve the SSL site issues - this was back in November of last year, so I think its dead. I used the Wayback machine and was able to pull version 1.2 Mac.

They support a friendly text version of export - it could be parsed, but there's no reason to do that, because the XML export looks good. A spreadsheet program to reformat the data would not likely be beneficial.

Do you get much call for SafeWallet exports? I was less inclined to look into this given that I felt the OPs post rather strong and ultimatum-ish. Given that, I'll make a converter for the OP if the OP purchases 1P4. :-) After all, a few test records are sufficient to evaluate 1P4 anyway.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @MrC,

Thanks for digging up SafeWallet (SW) and into its exporting capabilities.

They support a friendly text version of export - it could be parse, but there's no reason to do that, because the XML export looks good.

So at least for a converter to 1PIF, XML export would be the preferable choice.

A spreadsheet program to reformat the data would not likely be beneficial.

Not even for its TXT export (rather than XML) to reformat in CSV that's compatible with 1Password's importer? That's been the most commonly suggested method for getting SW data into 1Password. I haven't personally noticed too many requests for that, although a few more lately as more people seem to be discovering SW development and support has apparently been abandoned by SBSH.

Hopefully @Steve_Baker333 will return soon and comment. :)

ref: QZV-82214-754, WDW-37725-725, YZJ-13746-276

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options

You're welcome.

The text format is a pretty-printed, indented hierarchy, more like eWallet's, so I suppose someone could arrange this data into a tabular format, but its a lot of work, and with all the copy/pasting, it would be more efficient to paste into 1PW instead. Here's what it looks like:

Wallet: Testing

Folder: Business

Card: Web-Site
            URL: www.example.com
            Login: joe@example.com
            Password: secret
            Note: Some notes with
    Unicode "chars" ü é π å

Folder: Bogus

Folder: Business > Sub-business

Card: Credit Card
            Card: Visa
            Bank: Anybank USA
            First Name: Sally
            Last Name: Smith
            Card #: 5555-5555-5555-5555
            Expires: December 13, 2015
            CVV2: 999
            PIN: 1234
            If Lost: Don't worry, be happy
            Note: Please don't steal.

Folder: Personal

It also has the same defect as eWallet's export in that there is no unambiguous delimiter between entries. The "Folder: Bogus" above is actually part of the Web-Site item's notes, not a folder designator like the others - it would be easy to trip up a parser, so XML would be the way to go.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for that SafeWallet text format export example. Now I see, literally, what you mean about using a spreadsheet program to reformat the data not likely to be beneficial. My mistake suggesting that possibility without enough information about the format.

… so XML would be the way to go.

Sounds like it, regardless of any other format it would be converted to.

• Steve_Baker333
    Steve_Baker333
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I'll export the SafeWallet XML to a file. But then what? Sorry, I've been up to my ears elsewhere and may be asking a question already answered. But I'd like to move to 1Password without hours of error-prone retyping. Once I've got the xml file, what tool would I use to get that data into 1PW properly? Thanks, Baker

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I'll make a converter for the OP if the OP purchases 1P4. :-)

Have you purchased? :-)

• Steve_Baker333
    Steve_Baker333
    Community Member
    Options

I've not purchased it yet, as I had no way to xfr my safe wallet data to 1PW other than hand retype. But now that you will do that if I buy it, I'm buying it.
    Thanks! Safe wallet's not responding. I need to move to 1PW.

• Steve_Baker333
    Steve_Baker333
    Community Member
    Options

Now proud owner if 1Password 5 :D

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Great. I'm confident the AgileBits folks appreciate the business.

I'll work on the converter (and should be able to have something for you) tomorrow. If you can tell me the most important SafeWallet item types to convert from, I'll add those first and will get you a test copy; then I'll add the remainder of the types for completeness.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Steve_Baker333,

Your 1Password purchase is indeed appreciated -- thank you!

And a big thanks to @MrC for his assistance with converting your SafeWallet data so it can be imported with your new shiny 1Password! :)

• Steve_Baker333
    Steve_Baker333
    Community Member
    Options

THIS is the kind of normal service, the kind that generates new customers & revenue, that I expect but never find in most software support forums. So it's exceptional and you guys are great! Thanks so much.

My most important item types to convert from would be web site passwords. Your example of

Card: Web-Site
    URL: www.example.com
    Login: joe@example.com
    Password: secret

Shows the VAST majority of what I need. One or two sites have a Notes: field of some value. (Blank otherwise.) Very few credit cards ( < 6 ).

After this kind of support, I expect I'll be a big 1PW supporter. Thanks again

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @Steve_Baker333,

The initial version of the converter is ready:

It handles Login and Credit Card types, so this should handle the bulk of your items (every other type will be stored as 1Password's Secure Notes entries). I'll get through the remaining types today.

The converter is located in the _testing folder in my AgileBits Utilities area. Download convert_to_1p4_1.00.zip, unzip it, and place the folder onepassword-utilities with all of its contents onto your Desktop. Read and follow the instructions in README.pdf.

If you have issues, we'll work through them offline - my email is at the top of the script.

Click the image name below to see the full sized version of the screenshot above.

Edit: I posted an update at 2:47PM PST on 10/19, which corrects a problem not noticed before I had complete SafeWallet sample data. The problem - Items not in Folders were ignored. Be sure you re-download if you downloaded prior to this.

• Steve_Baker333
    Steve_Baker333
    Community Member
    Options

Wow! Thank you SO much! I will examine this first thing tomorrow. Plans have been made tonight. Have to go. Thank you. Just outstanding!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

No problem; you're welcome. I've completed 2/3 of the remaining cards. I'll have the rest done tonight, so just redownload as necessary.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options

All item types are now implemented, and the converter is completed.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrC‌

As always, thanks for your awesome help with these converters! I almost want to put a bunch of data into another app so I can test them out. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options

You're welcome. I have some sample wallets with the necessary stock (and some custom) cards / entries you can use for the various password managers. :D

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrC,

I just might take you up on that ... sometime after all the wonderful insanity of launch has calmed down a bit. :)

• Steve_Baker333
    Steve_Baker333
    Community Member
    Options

MrC is a killer Coder! My Safewallet files are now successfully imported into 1Password, a far better program. He did a great job, helped me privately in email to get over my own mistakes, and made the transfer happen. :D

1Password is a clear improvement over what I've gotten used to. Now, since SafeWallet doesn't seem responsive or in development, and 1PW has so many more features and functionality, the choice was clear. But without MrC, I'm sure it wouldn't have been as smooth or relaxed a transfer/upgrade. He's a gem.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Steve_Baker‌333,

I'm so glad to hear that @MrC was able to help you out. We agree - he's pretty awesome.

I hope that 1Password works smoothly for you from now on, but if you have any questions, we're here for you!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

This post is to document the new and improved version is now generally available and discussed here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/30286/mrcs-convert-to-1password-utility/p1

This discussion has been closed.