1Password Dropbox sync failed. Won't unlock dropbox vault

Options
kalyan02
kalyan02
Community Member

• First off: The master password is correct. I am absolutely sure of it.
  • I use 1password on another other personal computer and sync it via dropbox.
  • This was working until today morning when I got a notification saying sync failed.
  • I uninstalled 1password and re-installed it, but now it won't unlock the vault.
  • Quitting and re-opening takes me to an empty vault. When I try to sync with dropbox and ask it to merge, it fails even after entering the correct password.

• Please help. Can't believe this is happening. I have everything locked in there!!

Comments

• kalyan02
    kalyan02
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

When I try to sync/merge, it does nothing. Pressing Enter does nothing. Clicking on unlock and merge either takes me back to choose sync folder dialog.

Or it crashes and here is the crash report - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3735339/Files/1password.report.txt

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kalyan02‌

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password right now, and I'll do my best to get things sorted out for you just as soon as possible!

I uninstalled 1password and re-installed it, but now it won't unlock the vault.

Reinstalling the app may have been a bit more than is necessary for a sync issue. Generally we simply recommend opening up Preferences > Sync and re-enabling sync to the correct location.

When I try to sync with dropbox and ask it to merge, it fails even after entering the correct password.

Just to confirm, the password that you are entering on the second pane that you screenshot is your Master Password for the vault, and not your Dropbox password, correct?

Do you by chance have multiple keychains stored in Dropbox? I'm wondering if we might be trying to connect to the wrong one here.

• kalyan02
    kalyan02
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan - Yes. The password is the Master password for the vault.

The Re-install was simply a desperate measure as the recommended way failed on me.

Why 1Password will not open the vault ( when there was one and only one instance of data folder ), on a brand new computer, is simply beyond me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kalyan02,

Thanks for confirming that for me. This is a bit of an odd situation here - I'm not quite sure where things are getting tangled up, so let's get a bit more detail here:

• You do have access to your 1Password data on your personal computer, correct?
    • Please confirm that Dropbox sync is set up correctly in Preferences > Sync
    • What are the version numbers of both 1Password and your operating systems for all computers and devices currently running 1Password?
    • Did you create the new vault on your new computer with the same Master Password you are using for your existing database?
    • If you log in to your Dropbox account and click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain, can you unlock your database with your existing Master Password?

I really appreciate your patience as we work to solve this mystery. :)

• kalyan02
    kalyan02
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan‌

1. Yes I do have access on my personal computer. ( I am trying to set this up on a 2nd computer, which is where I am having trouble )
    2. On my personal computer - sync is setup properly. On the 2nd computer, dropbox sync is not proceeding forward (See the screenshot in 2nd post )
    3. Both have 4.4.2 (442010). Personal computer is on 10.9.1; 2nd computer is 10.9.5. iPhone is on iOS8, and has latest version store update of 1Password.
    4. No I did not create a new vault. 1Password detected the vault in dropbox. When I tried to enter master password, it did nothing. Restarting 1Password and entering my password showed me an empty vault. Trying to re-sync, gave me the merge dialog, which is where I am stuck.
    5. I do have access to my passwords via the 1Password.html and my master password works on it.
  • Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kalyan02,

Thanks so much for confirming all those details for me. There's definitely something odd going on here. If you only have the single 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox, your instinct to start fresh with 1Password on this new computer might be the best solution after all - we've eliminated all the other possibilities.

Please follow the instructions in our Starting Over guide to completely remove 1Password, including the datafile. When you set things up again, 1Password should behave a bit better for you.

Let me know how this goes!

• kalyan02
    kalyan02
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Megan: If you have read my previous replies to you, you would notice that I already tried fresh installation method. And yes, I am aware of all the things that are needed to be cleaned up. I just tried this again and am now stuck at the first screenshot I posted. :(

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kalyan02‌

My apologies! Your original post didn't mention removing the datafile, so I assumed you had simply deleted the app.

Now, we'll need to take a closer look at your system to determine where things are getting tangled up here.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.