Touch ID 48 hour timeout

Options
Doug Hamlin
Doug Hamlin
Community Member

Hi,

This is a follow-up to this thread

I was asking about the 48 hour option disappearing and I was directed here http://blog.agilebits.com/2014/10/06/touching-on-security-and-convenience/

However, this post did not directly address why the options to auto-lock after >1 hour were removed, leaving me to draw my own conclusions from very limited knowledge of how Apple keychains work, thus my question about why the Master Password can't safely stay in the keychain for more than an hour.

On re-reading the article, I think we might have a disconnect on this point: "Auto-Lock specifies how long 1Password will wait before it locks automatically. To unlock 1Password again, you can use your fingerprint if Touch ID is enabled, otherwise enter your Master Password. Your Master Password will be required after a device restart or when Touch ID authentication fails."

If I am reading that right, I should still be able to use Touch ID to unlock 1Password after the 1 hour period. That, however, is not what is happening for me. I am repeatedly being prompted for the Master Password (after what seems to be about an hour).

On a separate note, I think there is still a bug in the timeout period. This morning when I opened 1Password (after having not used it all night), the lock pulsated blue for what seemed like a whole minute and I was expecting the app to crash at that point, when the Touch ID prompt, not the Master Password prompt appeared. I put my finger to the Touch ID and the app opened. Of course this is maybe how it's supposed to work given my previous point.

Yours in confusion,
Doug

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi Doug,

Could you please try using these settings and let me know if they work better for you?

I'm honestly not sure what you're referring to with the 1 hour keychain question... I am not aware of any such timer.

• Doug Hamlin
    Doug Hamlin
    Community Member
    Options

I tried those settings and it still was not working. I would get prompted for my Master Password almost every time.

Incidentally, my confusion with the setting was because I thought the 1 minute setting in that screenshot meant I would be prompted for the Master Password after 1 minute (thus why I was looking for the largest value possible for that setting). It's still not clear to me what that setting is.

Anyway, I noticed my Dropbox syncing had stopped working too, so I just deleted and reinstalled the 1Password and Dropbox apps and it seems to have fixed both issues for me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Doug Hamlin

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here, but I'm glad to hear that a reinstall got things back up and running! If you hit any other snags though, please do let us know - we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.