[Feature Request] Typing numbers and symbols in the 1Password passphrase

Options
eak9000a
eak9000a
Community Member

One of the things that has always bugged me is that typing a decent passphrase on iOS is quite difficult. The new touch id feature helps a fair bit on newer phones, but of course one still has to type the passphrase from time to time. The need to use extra finger touches for capitals and numbers and symbols encourages one to have almost entirely lowercase letters in the passphrase, which means that iOS pushes you to dumb down an otherwise random passphrase used on the Mac version of 1P (clearly undesirable IMO).

1P could address this by having a keyboard for entering its passphrase that at least had an extra row for the numbers, and shifting that would get you more symbols with a single (as opposed to double) shift stroke.

Comments?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @eak9000a‌ I understand your issue but I don't think iOS would allow such a request. If my understanding is correct third party keyboard layouts aren't allowed for secure input and that's what's happening when you're entering your master password. Even if you normally use another keyboard you should be returned to the default Apple one for anything where you're entering a password. It might be viewed as an annoyance by some but by others it's probably viewed as a prudent decision regarding user security/safety. Who knows, maybe they will allow something in the future, this is the first iteration of extensions and third party keyboards after all.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Oops. I just read a post by @bwoodruff‌ saying that custom keyboards are not allowed in password fields in iOS 8, so what I said below apparently doesn't apply. I'm not sure what that option is for, though.

My original comment: There is an Advanced option in the Secuity section of version 5.1 to allow third party keyboards. It is off by default. I'm not interested in doing that, but perhaps there is a custom keyboard out there that would do what the OP requests, provided one is willing to accept the risks associated with that.

This discussion has been closed.