Transfer to new computer

Options
harsil
harsil
Community Member

Hi, what happens if you replace your computer? All your passwords are long and random, so you don't actually know them; how do you transfer them?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is a thread here which should help you. Of course, you might use Apple's Migration Assistant to transfer all your data (including the 1P data) to your new machine. If there are passwords you know you'll need to use when doing that (iCloud for example) you can just make a note of them before starting the process.

Stephen

• neofactor
    neofactor
    Community Member
    Options

To start with... hopefully you have told the vault to save into icloud or better yet... dropbox.

Then with any new device... I install dropbox, login, and let things sync for a few hours.
    After that... download the 1Password app and configure it to point to your cloud saved vault.
    Don't forget to enter your license key so you are not on trial... I save that info in 1Password as well.

Hope this helps. Works for me on iOS devices, Macs... and even with the windows side (using dropbox)

• harsil
    harsil
    Community Member
    Options

Is it safe putting them into Dropbox?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @harsil,

I am so glad you are thinking strongly about the security of your data - thats what we like to see!

We are very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud, as your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through the following article.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-for-mac-knowledgebase/4/en/topic/cloud-safety

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

http://blog.agilebits.com/tag/cryptography_/

• harsil
    harsil
    Community Member
    Options

What about the fact that I have them on my iPads? Can I sync the iMac with the iPad, then use the iPad to sync back to a different iMac that doesn't have any of the passwords in the new copy of the software?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @harsil,

If you would like to use Wi-Fi sync to move your data from the Mac to the iPad to the secondary Mac you can do so.

I would suggest setting up the second Mac as a new user with the same Master Password that you use on your iOS device. Once that's done, you can use Wi-Fi to get your data from the iPad onto the Mac.

This discussion has been closed.