Frustrating Experience

PittCaleb
PittCaleb
Community Member

I knew this day would come the minute I started using a password manager. Today it hit me quite hard.

I needed to PayPal some money for a school event. I'm walking to the school, I fire up the PayPal app and then 1Password. I displayed the password, a long string of random letters, numbers & symbols. No way I can remember that whatsoever. I also have no pen/paper and am quickly walking to an appointment.

I hit the copy button, then switch back to the PayPal app. There I discover that app prohibits the pasting into the password field. Thoroughly defeated. I may as well uninstall the PayPal app from my phone since I simply can not use it with a 1Password generated password.

I re-launch 1Password, having to stop to type in my complicated master password again, and hit the auto login. It took me to the web interface. Good enough for now, let's just be done with it. However, it does not auto log me in. I still need the password, which is now no longer in my past buffer. I try to go back and end up having to log into 1Password again. Stop, type in complicated 1Password password on small phone interface.

I get back into your app, I launch auto login feature for PayPal, I type in my email address, paste in the password and now I can send my friend money. But I'm not in a real web browser, I'm in a browser session inside the 1Password app. When I hit the proper buttons to send money, I am on a screen which asks for the e-mail and amount. You're probably all familiar with this screen.

However my issue now is that inside this browser within an app configuration, I am now unable to bring up a keyboard. The keyboard worked fine on the previous screen for me to log in, but now I can now enter the relevant information to actually send money due to a bug in your browser plug-in. Had you simply launched my default browser (Chrome) on my phone, I would be fine.

So now I go into chrome, go to PayPal.com, enter my email, and again find my paste buffer is cleared. I switch back to 1Password and mis-type my complicated master password. At this point, I am beyond pissed.

Like I said, I expected this from the day I first installed 1Password. Quite very very frustrating. Even though I have already paid for your app, I am oh-so-close to changing all my passwords back to things I can remember and USE and abandoning the product entirely. A password does me absolutely no use if it prevents me from using the application it was designed for.

Ticked off,
PittCaleb

Comments

• Hi @PittCaleb. I’m sorry about the experience you had with logging into your PayPal account using 1Password. I would like to go over a couple of things that may help you in the future.

As you already know, we do not have control of the paste functionality in applications as the application has complete control of the input fields. However, I do agree there is a lot of room for improvements in the built-in browser. The built-in browser uses the Android web view and it is very limited if you compare it to a full browser like Chrome or Firefox. We are looking to improve the built-in browser as we move forward but a better solution will be to be able to automatically fill in external applications, such as PayPal and Chrome. Our team is currently looking into accomplishing this on Android and we will have some news to share in the near future.

As for your password being cleared after some time, you may want to configure an option, within 1Password’s Settings > Security, called “Automatically clear clipboard”. This allows you to set the time of when you would like 1Password to clear your clipboard after you copy a password. By default, it is set to never.

Lastly, if you don’t like entering your master password when returning to 1Password, there are three option in Settings > Security that will help.

• PIN Code: The PIN Code allows you to create a short numerical passcode (ideally 4 digits) to unlock your vault. With this feature enabled, every time you return back to 1Password from the background, you will only be required to enter your PIN code to access your data. So now when you switch between applications and return back to 1Password, you just need to enter your numeric passcode instead of your master password.

• Lock on Exit: This will keep your vault unlocked when you switch between applications on your device. There’s no need to enter a PIN Code or a master password when you return.

• Automatically Lock: In how many minutes do you want 1Password to lock itself due to inactivity on the device?

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

• PittCaleb
    PittCaleb
    Community Member

Thanks for those tips! Keeping 1Password unlocked for a bit, or easily re-unlocked, will allow easier copy/pasting and help address some of my issues.

Thanks for the useful reply. Here's hoping for some better integration with apps and/or apps not preventing pasting in the near future.

• You're very welcome! To stay up to date on all upcoming features as we get them done, you can always check out our blog. Let me know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.