1Password 4.4.2 suddenly will not open - fails to validate receipt [Resolved: Reinstall]

Options
jeremywsherman
jeremywsherman
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

1Password was working fine for me till today. I went to launch 1Password.app, and was presented with the useless Finder message:

"1Password.app" is damaged and cannot be opened. Delete "1Password.app" and download it anew from the App Store store.

As far as I could tell, no update had gone out that would have triggered it to be updated, so I have no idea what changed to cause it to fail.

The error logged when I tried to execute the application binary directly is:

% /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password

2014-10-15 17:37:01.910 1Password[82657:507] Failed to validate receipt: /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/_MASReceipt/receipt

The extensions were still working, so it was not an issue immediately, but it was frustrating. So I took that advice: Deleted the application and reinstalled from the Mac App Store.

Now I get the same error (both in Finder and on the command-line), only none of my extensions work.

Fortunately, 1Password on iOS (whatever the latest App Store version is) continues to work, and I imagine I can pull things out of the Web interface in the keychain. But a non-working password manager is crippling. :(

OS version:

ProductName: Mac OS X

ProductVersion: 10.9.5

BuildVersion: 13F34

1Password Mac version: 4.4.2, freshly downloaded from App Store.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeremywsherman,

Sorry you're having this problem with an invalid receipt for 1Password from the Mac App Store.

Let's give the reinstallation another try using these steps, which will not touch any of your 1Password data:

• Remove the 1Password application (/Applications/1Password.app) using Launchpad.
    • Restart your Mac.
    • Run App Store and make sure you're logged in using the same Apple ID that you purchased 1Password with.
    • Select the Purchases tab, locate 1Password, and click the INSTALL button to download/install a fresh copy.
    • Reopen 1Password and unlock it.

Hopefully that will fix the problem. But if you're still stuck, please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful so we can keep an extra eye open for it and get back with you sooner. :)

Thank you!

• jeremywsherman
    jeremywsherman
    Community Member
    Options

I am unable to delete the app using Launchpad. When I enter the wiggle mode in Launchpad, no (X) appears on the 1Password icon. It's as if the system doesn't recognize that the Mac App Store installed the app.

I'm going to try deleting it using Finder, restarting, and redownloading from the App Store.

• jeremywsherman
    jeremywsherman
    Community Member
    Options

That fixed it for me. 1Password is now working again! :smiley:

Thank you!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @jeremywsherman‌

I'm so glad to hear that you managed to get it fixed! Thanks so much for sharing your steps here.

It does sound like the validation problem you were having with 1Password was also preventing it from being a valid MAS app that Launchpad could delete; useful to know!

Since this issue is nicely sorted out now, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.