10.10 1Password5 iCloud sync not available

Options
raymondrewalker
raymondrewalker
Community Member

Running OSX 10.10 and 1Password5 v 5.0.1 (Agile Web Store / downloaded via Apple App Store update)
iCloud Drive is setup and has 1Password mini.app auto-selected

The iCloud Drive sync option is not available in 1Password5.

I've tried disabling iCloud and re-enabling it to no avail yet. Any ideas on how to get this working?

Comments

• raymondrewalker
    raymondrewalker
    Community Member
    Options

Also, documentation for 1Password5 iCloud sync does not have docs for Yosemite users:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/sync-icloud

• bosj
    bosj
    Community Member
    Options

same problem

• Tom F
    Tom F
    Community Member
    Options

ditto

• entr04y
    entr04y
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue. Also, this happened after I did a restore of an older backup of my vault. I had to do a restore this morning because when I turned on iCloud syncing several items disappeared out of my vault.

• austinnate
    austinnate
    Community Member
    Options

I wonder if this is due to the fact that we may have a web version rather than the Mac app store version. I cloud sync (come to find out) is only for the mac app store version!
    I'm so upset about this as I specifically reached out and asked the developers (when the mac app store came out) if I should switch to the store version!!!
    They said no as they are the exact same and apple takes a decent percentage of their profits. That was good enough for me as I truly wanted to help these guys. I been with them since version two!!!
    No I'm stuck with the web store version unless I want to shell out $40.00 more......

anyway.... back to the main point....
    I cloud sync (come to find out) is only for the mac app store version!

• raymondrewalker
    raymondrewalker
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I seem to have been having issues with iCloud Drive setting itself up correctly... but it magically worked itself out (though there is still an issue with 1Password's setup and seemingly leftover artifacts.)

When selecting "iCloud Drive" in the system's iCloud preferences it was taking +15min for the "setup" to happen. I believe it was not actually setting up correctly when this happens, alas the iCloud drive directory was not populating, etc. :'(

I have a done a number of machine restarts for other reasons, and have also disabled and reenabled the iCloud Drive setup... about the 7th time I setup my iCloud account and Drive, it magically took about a second to "setup." When checking 1Password for sync options, sync now shows up. Bam, now I am able to see the sync on my iOS device and get it setup. B)

Interestingly enough, I still see 2 items for "1Password mini.app" in my iCloud Drive setup (2 screenshots due to inability to change window size):

Let me know if I can offer any more info on this issue.

I have a feeling Apple's gonna get bombarded with iCloud Drive issues in the coming weeks. ;)

• raymondrewalker
    raymondrewalker
    Community Member
    Options

@austinnate‌ : Funny part is that I originally bought, downloaded, and updated the app via the Mac App Store, but when looking at the about app, it showed the 5.0.1 version being from the web store (I believe because the app tried to update itself and I allowed it to, rather than using the Mac App Store to manage the update.)

Double checking now that I've restarted a few times, low and behold the app is back to it's 5.0 Mac App Store version... weird!

• cammot
    cammot
    Community Member
    Options

I find this so frustrating !. If the cloud does not work with 1Password 5, will someone simply just say so, please, instead of having us waste so much time troubleshooting this issue. If this issue is only related to the Apple app store version, but not with the AgileBits store version - could someone also please confirm this. Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

I'm sorry about the confusion here.

AgileBits Update 2014-10-27: Please see this thread from Dave on the latest information regarding these issues:

If there is any question that I didn't answer, please let us know, and we will help you.

• Ravilious
    Ravilious
    Community Member
    Options

Its nice to know that Agilebits are doing their best to help people. Perhaps they realise that people like me bought from them directly rather than feed commission into the hands of Apple?

It concerns me that the Icloud conversion that comes with Yosemite and io8 is a one way journey.

Thanks

Stephen

• nev
    nev
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@MikeT - "we do not use iCloud Drive and it is not currently feasible for our sync requirements"

So why does "1Password mini" appear in my iCloud documents in System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive Options ...? And I'm using Dropbox to sync.

Confused... :\

BTW - All my Macs now run Yosemite, and my iOS devices run iOS 8.1 ... I could change from Dropbox sync to iCloud sync now, yes? But which sync method is preferable? (My 1Password OS X version is the MAS one.)

• nev
    nev
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I should have mentioned that I used to use iCloud sync, but changed to Dropbox while I waited for the transition to iOS 8.1 and Yosemite (which I now have). But I'm still using Dropbox.

I'd like to ask:

1. Is the fact that I used to use iCloud sync the reason why I see "1Password mini" on my Macs in System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive Options ?

2. And is the fact that I used to use iCloud sync also the reason why I see two instances of "1Password - Password Manager" on my iPhone 6 in Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage ?

What do I do about (1) ? Leave it alone?

What about (2) ? Should I delete those items from my iPhone iCloud storage?

And if I decide to use switch syncing from Dropbox to CloudKit (which I assume is what you mean by "iCloud Drive") - what should I do then?

I'd really appreciate some specific answers here. I've been a loyal (and for the most part happy) user of 1Password since forever, but this transition thing is beginning to look like a mess for me.

It's like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14-zA3Kld5E

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nev,

1. Is the fact that I used to use iCloud sync the reason why I see "1Password mini" on my Macs in System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive Options ?

Because 1Password is 'allowed' to store data in iCloud Drive, 1Password Mini (which is the brains of the 1Password operation) will always show up in iCloud Drive. For example, I've got 1Password in my iCloud Drive options, but I have never enabled iCloud sync for 1Password.

What do I do about (1) ? Leave it alone?

Yup, it will always be there, but if you're not storing data in iCloud, it's not taking up any of your storage space. It's just indicating that 1Password has permission to use iCloud Drive.

2. And is the fact that I used to use iCloud sync also the reason why I see two instances of "1Password - Password Manager" on my iPhone 6 in Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage ?

Our technical gurus have seen a few cases of this since the update to the 'new iCloud', and they're still investigating what is causing this.

What about (2) ? Should I delete those items from my iPhone iCloud storage?

Since you're not using iCloud currently to sync, you can remove those items from iCloud storage.

I could change from Dropbox sync to iCloud sync now, yes? But which sync method is preferable? (My 1Password OS X version is the MAS one.)

There is no 'preferable' sync. We offer a variety of options so that users can pick the solution that is best for you. Some users prefer iCloud because it is built right into the Mac and iOS systems, with no need to install extra software. For cross-platform users, Dropbox is our most flexible sync, as it works between Mac, iOS, Windows and Android.

And if I decide to use switch syncing from Dropbox to CloudKit (which I assume is what you mean by "iCloud Drive") - what should I do then?

We've got an article in our User Guide that helps you switch to iCloud sync if you would like.

I hope this helps to answer your questions, but we're here if you would like to know any more! :)

• nev
    nev
    Community Member
    Options

Beautifully and succinctly explained, Megan. Thank you :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nev,

I'm so glad I could help! You asked so insistently. ;) (You definitely got bonus points for including a silly video in your post!)

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any further questions or concerns, you know where to find us.

This discussion has been closed.