1Password 5 Wifi Sync

Options
ericcovino
ericcovino
Community Member

Hi,

With the introduction of iCloud Drive I am looking to remove Dropbox from my workflow. The one sticking point is 1Password. Here is our set up and my understanding of current capabilities:

1. I have an iMac, MBP, iPhone (all on Yosemite and iOS8)
  2. My wife has a Windows PC that I'm running out the clock on with the latest version of 1Password for windows and an iPhone on iOS8.

I understand that WiFi syncing is available on all these platforms.

Here's what I'd like to do (we have a roaming network run off various Airport devices so all of these are on the same WiFi network):

Use my iMac (which is generally on from 6am-Midnight given that it hosts my CRM application) as the "hub" for the WiFi syncing for my MBP, my iPhone, and my wife's iPhone. My question here is regarding automatic syncing. Has that been introduced in 1P5 for Mac? Can it support multiple iOS devices?

If the answer to the above is yes then that solves 99% of my issues.

If the answer to the above is no, when will it be available? I thought I saw this is a pre-announcement but I can't find it on the actual 1P5 announcement page.

The second question, assuming I'm auto-syncing my Mac's and our iPhones at this point, is can I sync to the Windows 1P from my wife's iPhone so that's up to date? Or can I sync to the Windows Machine from the iMac (the 1P hub)?

Lastly, suppose I sell the windows machine and now my wife has an iMac. Can her iMac sync from mine?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any advice on this. Really the goal is to be able to share our family logins automatically w/out using Dropbox.

Comments

• Hi @ericcovino,

Unfortunately, Dropbox remains the most automatic sync solution for your case. I'd recommend using Dropbox sync for a few more months while Apple improves its networking stack on both iOS 8 and Yosemite as there are several bugs we're seeing from both iOS 8 and Yosemite that affects how the Wi-Fi sync works in 1Password. We're working on figuring out to get around these issues as well as improving our Wi-Fi sync code.

You can definitely switch to the Wi-Fi sync but there are some efforts required. I'll explain below:

My question here is regarding automatic syncing. Has that been introduced in 1P5 for Mac?

1Password 5 has a semi-automatic syncing with both iOS and Mac, it also includes attachments support for the first time on both Mac and iOS, and we’re working on supporting multiple vaults next. It does have some restrictions at the moment that we’re planning to remove in the near future.

The Windows version remains the same, you have to keep a sync window open on the PC to sync but no attachments at the moment for the .agilekeychain files. It does support attachments only if you upgrade to the opvault format, which is supported in 1Password 5 for Mac, iOS and 1Password 4 for Windows. We’re going to announce more details on this later.

The semi-automatic refers to the fact that it only sync automatically while 1Password is unlocked on both side and in the primary vault only at the moment. You no longer have to keep a window opened on the Mac with 1Password 5 for Mac, just an unlocked app in the background is enough. For an example, if you keep 1Password mini running all the time, that'll be automatic syncing as long as it is unlocked.

Can it support multiple iOS devices?

The Wi-Fi sync server is inside the 1Password mini on the Mac, multiple iOS apps can sync to it, so yes it can support multiple iOS devices.

It doesn’t yet support multiple computers, meaning that you can’t sync 1Password data between Macs and Windows PC. You have to provide your own local sync tool to do that.

If you have a network drive, you can use the Folder sync in 1Password for Mac to sync between Macs. However, the Windows version doesn't have Folder Sync.

The second question, assuming I'm auto-syncing my Mac's and our iPhones at this point, is can I sync to the Windows 1P from my wife's iPhone so that's up to date? Or can I sync to the Windows Machine from the iMac (the 1P hub)?

You can sync from the iOS app to the Windows app via Wi-Fi.

You can’t do Windows to Mac or vis versa.

Lastly, suppose I sell the windows machine and now my wife has an iMac. Can her iMac sync from mine?

Not without using a local sync tool or a network drive to sync the files between the Macs using Folder Sync.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions.

• ericcovino
    ericcovino
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent, thanks for the detailed feedback. I'll keep using Dropbox then.

• On behalf of Mike, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.