1Password no longer available to new customers that aren't on Yosemite?

Options
owen-b
owen-b
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

My folks have just updated to Mavericks - they wisely don't rush to update, and Mavericks will work on their Mac. Yosemite might but they've got zero interest in the latest and greatest. Getting them onto Mavericks was hard enough (about 8 months of recommending it!).

I'm also dragging them into the modern era by encouraging them to get 1Password. I was about to send them to the MAS to buy it but suddenly I'm seeing "1Password requires Yosemite". Same on the website.

WT actual F? It's no longer possible to buy 1Password unless you're foolish enough to blindly update to the latest Mac OS on the day of release!?

Surely there's somewhere official I can download the perfectly fine 1Password 4, which doesn't require the latest, greatest, far-from-necessary Yosemite update? Surely! Please!?

(I've looked but have not found...)

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

If you use the AgileBits web store, legacy versions are still available. Scroll to the bottom of this page.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@owen-b‌ I made the plunge and upgraded to Yosemite, we'll see if doing this on day two of its release comes back to haunt me or not. I should say I haven't done so on my server yet - that's staying as Mavericks for a while longer yet.

So I upgraded but the copy if iPhoto I've been using is from Snow Leopard and instead of just being kind of broken OS X simply refuses to launch it now - Yosemite says no. Now there was a free download of iPhoto which I dutifully did and then thought, hey, I'll grab that on my server too as that's actually the main container for my photos. It wasn't compatible with Mavericks though. What it did do was what happens with iTunes - it offered to download the latest compatible version. I've just tried this on my Mavericks server having deleted 1Password and it has done the same.

Now if Apple steadfastly refuse to allow you to even purchase 1Password on a Mavericks machine you could make the purchase for them on your own Yosemite machine (I've made the assumption you're more reckless with your computers - apologies if that isn't the case), and then they should be able to download it via their Purchases tab in MAS. On your machine you simple delete that copy of 1Password and revert your copy of MAS back to your Apple account.

What it comes down to is how important iCloud syncing could be for your parents. If it isn't then the web store version linked to you by hawkmoth is fine too.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@owen-b‌

If I recall correctly you should be able to download older versions like this https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/150540/#Comment_150540

Are you talking about new users whom have not purchased before. It can be done although a little bit of a work around.

Another solution : This assumes you purchased it when it was version 4

You would need to log into your account on the Mac App Store on their computer. Seeing as how they are family.... Your list or purchases appears, you may see something like listed above. Since they are on Mavericks it may just show as being downloadable.

Download and install it. Making sure to log out of the Mac App Store. Log them back into their account.

If they live remotely from you. Try using something like TeamViewer to do this for them.

• @owen-b‌

As @hawkmoth mentioned, you can download version 4.4.3 from our downloads page, near the bottom. 1Password 5 licenses are compatible with 1Password 4 licenses, and will work to unlock it fine.

Hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.