More than 1 password DB / file...

Options
Berty
Berty
Community Member

When accessing a web site recently I looked in my 1Password App but didn't find the password I wanted. I rebuild my Mac a few months ago and now use the latest version, and I'm sure I have "old" Password DBs/files (sorry, not sure of the right term to use here) elsewhere on my system, which are no longer used/accessed. I have 2 questions really: a) How can I find all my old password DBs and ensure that I have only 1 working (current) DB / file - should they be merged to form one and how can I know they are accurate when merged? b) Should I then secure delete those old DBs / Files or store /archive for safety - just in case. Hope this makes some sort of sense to the reader!!

Kind regards

Berty

Comments

• Hi @Berty,

If I was to take a guess, I'd say that it sounds like when you did a rebuild of your Mac, you may have downloaded 1Password from our website when you originally had it from the Mac App Store, or vice versa (they both store their data in different locations). Is that possible?

If this is the case, here's what I'd recommend:

• Download the other version (if the Mac App Store says you've never bought it from there, then this is definitely not the case)
    • Launch it
    • See if the data you're expecting is there
    • If so, use the File > Export option to export all of your items
    • Quit the other version
    • Launch your usual version
    • Use the File > Import menu item to import your exported items

I wouldn't necessarily worry about deleting the old files. But if you'd like a hand with that we'd be happy to help.

I hope this helps. If I was wrong with my guess about what may have happened, let us know and we'll see what else we can think of.

This discussion has been closed.