How to Create a Login for One's Account with the San Diego City Library

Options
dapster
dapster
Community Member

The website from which the login button is available is: https://sddp.ent.sirsi.net/client/default/? The "Log In" button to the right along the very top of the page pops up a dialog box in which one is expected to provide one's library card number and PIN. For experimentation, these may be made up.

Nothing I've tried has created a Login such that the fields required are auto-filled. Any constructive advice will be most appreciated.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @dapster‌

Unfortunately I was not able to save a login that works with this site. I'll add it to our list of sites for our developers to look into.

Thanks.

• dapster
    dapster
    Community Member
    Options

bwoodruff,
    Your effort to emulate my login problem is appreciated as is, of course, your directing the issue to the developers. Might there exist any particular time frame within which it would be reasonable to expect a fix? Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

@dapster‌

You're very welcome.

We do not announce time frames. We do not normally write code to fix individual websites. It just doesn't make sense to do so (we could get all done writing a fix and then the website changes its login page...). Instead we try to identify the root of the issue, and if it is an issue with enough websites to justify writing code to fix, we do that.

Thanks!

Ben

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@dapster: Maybe the following sequence will work for you.

1) First, manually create a "dummy" Login with the following URL:

( I used "ABCDE" and "12345" as username and password, respectively )

[https://sddp.ent.sirsi.net/client/default/search/patronlogin/$N/true?]

This URL in the dummy Login generates an error, but that presents the Sign In page for the Username (Library Card #) + Password ( PIN ) that 1Password needs.

2) Trigger the dummy Login and enter your Library Card # and PIN... but do NOT click the blue Log In button. Instead, click the 1Pmini's gear icon to present the drop-down menu to "Save New Login"

3) Now, edit your second Login as you wish and test to see if it works to your satisfaction. Then Trash the dummy Login item.

I can't test it because I'm not a patron, but I'll be interested to know if this actually works !

• dapster
    dapster
    Community Member
    Options

Lamplighter,
    Thanks so much for your work. Unfortunately, I'm something of a novice with 1Password, both for Windows and IOS. It is with IOS that I'm unable to comply with "click the 1Pmini's gear icon to present the drop-down menu to "Save New Login." Where might I locate the option to "Save New Login"?

Although the language, "Save New Login," appears in the Windows manual, it doesn't in the IOS manual. Please advise and I'll follow through and provide feedback as I've done here. Thanks again.

• Ben
    Options

The instructions @Lamplighter posted are for Mac. For Windows they are nearly identical, but the "save new login" option is under "settings." The instructions from our manual can be found here:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows-kb/4/en/topic/save-login-manually-win?q=manual

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry dabster, but you will find that there are several functions that are present in 1P for Mac that are not present in 1P for iOS.
    In any case, give me another shot at it, and I'll see if I can work out some sort of a sequence on my iPad. (1P5 on iPads and iPhones are supposedly identical.) Would that be OK ?

• Ben
    Options

iOS does not have the save function, at this point.

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Yes, I find that dummy URL on my iPad does bring up the Library's "error" page, and that Login page is active. But there seems to be nowhere to go after that on the iPad. :> {

Let us know if you get it working for you via Windows...

• dapster
    dapster
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I've got the Library working just fine with 1Password Windows. It is for this reason, in particular, that the inability to do so with IOS is disappointing. Although I can work around it with copy & paste, doing so is tedious and defeats the purpose of a password manager.

For Lamplighter, if you're so inclined please have it with my continuing appreciation.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @dapster,

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work. The issue is with the way they designed the site to load the Login form from a different page via iframe. There are some limitations in mobile browsers that doesn't exist on desktops that we're trying to work around and in this case, it is the iframe that's the problem.

Can you try this page instead and see if it works: https://sddp.ent.sirsi.net/client/default/search/patronlogin/$N

If it works, you can add this URL as a second website field in your Login item for the public and name it the Login page, like this:

• dapster
    dapster
    Community Member
    Options

Well, we've achieved success of sorts. See the screenshot, below, in which there are two login pages utilized sequentially as explained in the notes section. Thanks to bwoodruff, Lamplighter & Mike T who got me over the edge.

IMG.jpg 82.1K
  • Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @dapster‌! Glad to hear you've found a workaround.

This discussion has been closed.